looking for practical high-end headphones
Jan 8, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by annoying bugger
I'd rather spend more now and get something I'll be happy with for a long time. I'm certainly not satisfied with low-end stuff, be it speakers or headphones. I just haven't ventured into high-end gear because in the past I've been either broke or too busy.

Well then, maybe an HD650/SR225/MS2 + PPA?

Jan 8, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #18 of 30
I would recommend the HD580 + an amp as well, I think it's a very comfortable setup, in both physical wear on your ears, as well as the sound won't get annoying after a while (non-fatiguing.)

I think for a sound card, a two card setup for gamers is best, with an audigy 2 zs or some other audigy card for gaming + 2nd card for music (1212 or 0404 or one of the others that ppl here suggest) if music is an issue. I hope creative releases a card with the musical chops of a 1212m and the gaming prowess of an audigy 2, but I'm not expecting that any time soon. For listening with headphones to 2 cards, you can either loop the audigy to the emu or use an amp with a switch.

Jan 8, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by annoying bugger
Do I need an amplifier for those? Or, should I get an amplifier if I get those? If so, any suggestions? I'm looking to spend $400-600, total.

The PPA is a headphone amplifier.

HD650 is ~$330, the MS2 $300. The PPA, if you can get it used, will probably be in the $300-$350 range. A Gilmore Light would be another good choice for an amp, it's $300 new.

I'd still go with the HD580 and an amp--it's definately relatively high end, just "budget."

Jan 9, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #21 of 30
When I raised the point of holding fire on amp/headphones, I thought you might have been using onboard sound, and hence should be sorting out your source as a priority.

But certainly, yours is the top-of-the-range M-Audio PCI card, so it could very well be decent. But not many have experience of this card. You could try posting in the computer as source forum, maybe some people have compared it to the E-Mu cards.

Jan 9, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #23 of 30
I have an M-Audio 24/96 card that I feed to a FPS flat panel/sub set-up, mostly for background listening from Sirius.com while working. Its pretty darn good, as far as I am concerned. You will DEFINATELY want an amp; as good a one as you can afford, IMO. The amps I own are more $$ than your budget, but the HD-650 are pretty darn nice with a good amp and source. Problem is, they sound better and better as you go up the food chain. REmember that I am not a gamer; music only. Good luck and sorry about the wallet, etc., etc.
600smile.gif

Jan 9, 2005 at 7:26 AM Post #24 of 30
Interesting swarm of replies.

I'd say go with a pair that does not need amplification. I use Grados with my computer and am very happy that I can yank them and use with my PDCP without having to worry about an amp.

As far as soundstaging: every headphone I listened to is artificial. Once I get used to the particular soundstage of a headphone, I stop paying attention to the soundstage and just listen to the music.

Jan 9, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #25 of 30
Generally speaking, Grados sound better unamped compared to the Senns. But when it comes to comfort and soundstage, but they can not beat the Senns.

I suggest you look for heaphones that sit over and around your ears rather than headphones that sit on your ears, they will be a lot more comfortable especially if your gonna use it for hours at a time. They will give better soundstaging too, since the drivers will be farther from your ears.

Jan 9, 2005 at 10:07 AM Post #26 of 30
Based on what you have said I would go with the HD 580's, and the best amp your budget can support. Once you get into the $300 range with an amp the 580's sound just fantastic, and unless you have superb ears (you might), and listen very carefully and analytically, at this amp price point you won't be able to tell a difference between the 650's and the 580's. Further they are some of the most comfortable headphones on the market. As for open or closed if you are at home (dorm) listening open is usually better. You can hear the phone ring, but not people talking for the most part. Very practical. By getting the 580's over the 650's you also won't have to worry about your source bottle necking the system as quickly. Good luck and have fun. Hi end headphones are a hobby I hvae never regretted.

Mark

PS I wouldn't get grados. They are fantastic, but just not practical at all. The vast majority of people cant listen to them for more than an hour without getting a headache, they are a bit ugly by most peoples standards (though I actually think they look really cool), and they just don't seem to be a great fit for your first set of cans. If you under spend your budget, maybe get some SR 80's and HD 580's. This way you can experience the Grado sound, sell them used later for almost what you paid (get them used too), and pick up some 225's if you like the sound.

Jan 9, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Target1
If you under spend your budget, maybe get some SR 80's and HD 580's. This way you can experience the Grado sound, sell them used later for almost what you paid

Good advise, these two will be a good pair to get your feet wet, so to speak. You'll hear 2 good phones with their own strength and weaknesses and have good resale value if you decide to keep only one that you like. On the other hand, you can take a shortcut with 595 as they provide senn comfort, senn house sound plus good details with almost grado-like forwardness.
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Well I don't think it's worth getting any of these headphones with that source.

However:

I am a member of team IHateA900 and I think that the AT A900 headphones suck and are incredibly overhyped. They are a bit comfortable for a while, but they are HUGE, HEAVY, and they feel as if you're wearing two gigantic coffee mugs on your head. Sound isn't much better, with condensed midrange, no highs, and weak bass.

I couldn't disagree with you more..but to each his own.

Id recommened the A900's, but since you have more money to play with, i guess you could get the CD3000's, or the W1000's..both sound great.

Jan 9, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #29 of 30
Thanks for the replies.

I'm torn on what to do. One part of me is saying wth, I'll just buy the ugly retro-styled Grados or open HD 650s and a fancy-dancy headphone amplifier (PPA or Gilmore). But my other side is thinking, lets be realistic, do I really want to have to use such strange-looking headphones and who in their right mind uses a headphone amp?

Thinking through this...Grados are ugly and uncomfortable - out, Sennheisers are open - out, what does that leave me...A900, or maybe W1000?

How does the W1000 sound? Is it like the A900s, where an amp is nice but not really needed? Or is all about looks?

Jan 9, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #30 of 30
Why would you not want open? I can think of very few reasons to go closed. 1. You fly on planes and don't want to hear the engine or crying babies. 2. You live in a dorm, listen to music VERY loud, and have a sensitive roomate. (Note, must answer yes to all these. 3. You want to listen late at night with a nice lady friend by your side and you don't want to bother her.

Open headphones close at almost all the noise, and let in minimal sound. A phone ringing, child screaming etc. Ambient noise such as someone passing by, or a neighbors door shutting will go unheard. I take my huge 580's to cafes all the time and no one complains. They shut everything out without being too loud for others. I wouldn't count open out unless you really need to.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back