looking for practical high-end headphones
Jan 8, 2005 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

annoying bugger

New Head-Fier
I'm searching for some headphones to use at my computer. I spend most of my time listening to music (rock, pop, trance, etc.) but also watch DVDs (soundstage is important). My system has line-level 1/4-inch outs as well as your standard built-in mini out. The most I could spend is maybe $700, but I'd prefer to keep this a few hundred cheaper and drop the extra money somewhere else. As of now I don't own any real audio gear - so a headphone amplifier, pre-outs, whatever might also need to be factored into this, though I still don't understand how any of that works.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance, and nice forum!

EDIT: I forgot to include (though I did mention this in the title) that I'm looking for something practical. So comfort, size, looks should at least be considered in my case, though sound quality is, of course, more important.

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 30
No, I only need something that works with the computer.

I don't know whether I need closed phones. It would be nice to block out some noise and not have to worry about leakage, but if certain open phones are a lot better I'll certainly consider them.

Jan 8, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 30
Sony CD3000s, big soundstage. I get the idea the A900s sound a bit like the cd3000s and seems to have a lot of happy owners.

Couldn't recommend the high-end sennheiser series, they don't rock as good as the cd3ks and the soundstage is very lacking compared with the sonys.

The only thing i am not sure if it is better is the positioning of the cd3ks, i feel that the HD600s is more accurate then the sonys (on cs, that is).

The CD3000s will sound better unamped than the HD600s, but as it is much more detailed, it shows up a weak source moreso then the senns. As for comfort the senns win hands down, the sony fit is just, weird and heavy.

My vote goes to the CD3000
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 30
For comfort and good sound at reasonable price you can start with senns. Best bang for the buck imo is 595 at less than or about $200, and top of the line 650 are still within your budget. Both are not really 'practical' but I can't think of one that is also 'hi end'. Of these 2 senns, 595 are more practical with better soundstage while 650 are more hi end. Some say akg 501 also fit those descriptions + wonderful soundstage, however, finding a correct amp to bring the bass out is a real painful process.

Jan 8, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 30
I say - forget the amp and headphones for now. Start with your soundcard. What are you using now?

For 2-channel music playback, the most highly recommended cards are the E-Mu 0404 and 1212M, these will give you a quality foundation to get a quality computer-based setup. Check out the "computer as source" forum.

Jan 8, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 30
i have a900's ($200) and love them, said to be 95% of the detail of the cd3k's at half the price. the a900s are very very light and comfy, too.
search for " few weeks in the life ath a900s" its a small review i did of them.

but on the other side of the coin, if i had to 700 bucks to drop
prolly have to go with hd650 and a PPA amp. seems a bit over kill for your use, but if ya got it might aswell enjoy it.

could always go the hd580 route and upgrade them and maybe a pimenta to save some fo your money. this route is prolly under 500.

the the ATH A1000 are suppse to be better then the 900s and still driveable with an amp, but even on my a900s i use my amp.

i think someone did a ATH headphone review where they reviewd alot fo the higher cans and the ATH w-1000 are suppose to be very nice, esp for their price of 450$, plus they look very very nice.

maybe a stax set up, but i dont know how those would fair,

i havent most of these cans, but seem to do what you want based on my reading. other im sure can confirm my recommendations.

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 30
strange, my post got messed up, anyway...

most "high-end" headphones don't seem to be practical. A900s = huge, senns = open, sony cd3000 = huge and ugly, etc. etc. you're going to have a hard time finding anything most people would consider practical, though I agree it'd be nice

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 30
Well I don't think it's worth getting any of these headphones with that source.

However:

I am a member of team IHateA900 and I think that the AT A900 headphones suck and are incredibly overhyped. They are a bit comfortable for a while, but they are HUGE, HEAVY, and they feel as if you're wearing two gigantic coffee mugs on your head. Sound isn't much better, with condensed midrange, no highs, and weak bass.

The HD595s have the best soundstaging for movies, IMO, because it's the most three dimensional. I can't commend on the CD3ks, but I think that, especially for comfort, you will be happiest with the HD595s. I had a pair but I returned them because the music performance wasn't too good for me. They just weren't musical or exciting: Just dull, plain, and driven forward instead of backward like the other high-end sennheisers are.

If you like a very good, well-rounded performer, then you'll love the HD595s. If you want to experience only a specific genre of music and want the life breathed out of them, you'll have to go with a pair of Grados. Unfortunately, however, they are not comfortable and soundstage is merely okay.

Trust me on this one, the HD595s are for you.

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 30
I agree you can always do better, but I think the Delta cards are pretty darn good. I have the 44, which is almost a 66, but not quite...I can't believe a $200+ soundcard isn't good enough for this. And yours has better converters...don't listen to him!

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by annoying bugger
Okay, I'm confused, you win!

Maybe I should be looking a Grados, then? Obviously I don't want something that's just mediocre.

HD580: $140
Amp<$200 (Headsave stuff, etc.)
Total: $340 max

That would be a very nice budget setup. I'm not sure how good your soundcard is, but if you ever felt compelled to you could upgrade it later easily enough.

Alternately, you could substitute the HD580 with the MS-1 ($100) for a Grado sound, or the K501 ($170) for an AKG sound.

Approaching your max budget, you could get a nicer amp, or higher end phones, but if you've never experienced anything too great I'd stick lower-end, at least untill you know what you like as far as headphones go.

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 30
I'd rather spend more now and get something I'll be happy with for a long time. I'm certainly not satisfied with low-end stuff, be it speakers or headphones. I just haven't ventured into high-end gear because in the past I've been either broke or too busy.

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 30
I strongly recommend the Grado SR-225 headphones. I had to run duct tape circles around my head because I cant stop "rocking!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back