Looking for portable headphones (fussy)
May 14, 2007 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

shadesbass

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so my girlfriend caught the bug after hearing my 2005 DT990's and would like some "nice sounding, not too expensive" portable headphones. I'm guessing up to about $100.

We tried the PX100's, PX200's and the iGrados and didn't like any of them. She doesn't like earbuds, IEMs, behind the head (hair issues) or clip-on style headphones.
They have to be small enough/fold up to fit in her handbag!! That rules out most medium/large size circum/supra-aural headphones.

I tried some Philips SBCHP460's which sounded ok and are fairly compact as they fold up a bit like the PX100's, but they seem to be discontinued now and I can't find any for sale.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

May 14, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 30
1. Sennheiser HD201 is very small, sq is ok (great for the money) and they're really cheap.
2. Maybe ksc75, headband-mod them. Haven't heard these though.
3. Sennheiser HD280, foldable. I don't think your gf will like the sound of these though.

May 14, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Sennheiser HD201 is very small, sq is ok (great for the money) and they're really cheap.
2. Maybe ksc75, headband-mod them. Haven't heard these though.
3. Sennheiser HD280, foldable. I don't think your gf will like the sound of these though.

Thanks for the reply.
1. These look promising. For the money I'm tempted to just get a pair and see what she thinks.
2. Hmm...Can't be bothered! Might look into it if we get desperate.
3. I like the folding design - just what I was looking for, but from the Senn website it sounds like they're more for monitoring than general listening, so I agree that they may not be the sound that she's looking for. And at 64 ohms they're not great for unamped use.

May 14, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 30
I know they are bigger, but how about the Equation Audio RP-15MC's. There have been nothing but good reviews about them around here and they aren't much money. I would find out more about them.

May 14, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadesbass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried some Philips SBCHP460's which sounded ok and are fairly compact as they fold up a bit like the PX100's, but they seem to be discontinued now and I can't find any for sale.

Long shot, but I thought it might be appropriate to mention my $30 USD mint-condition set of HP460s in the For Sale forum...caveats being that (1) I'm in the US, so shipping to the UK would be extra, and (2) they're not new-in-box, if that matters to your girlfriend...

That aside, sharkz may be onto something with the RP-15MC. Word is their clamping force is pretty strong, but their sonics get thumbs up from those who've written about them. I'm waiting on a pair myself.

The Audio Technica ATH-SJ5 might be worth looking into as well...I find them quite enjoyable for the price/form factor. They do fold up, but they're pretty floppy -- they don't stay that way on their own (weirdly enough).

May 14, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by shadesbass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply.
1. These look promising. For the money I'm tempted to just get a pair and see what she thinks.
2. Hmm...Can't be bothered! Might look into it if we get desperate.
3. I like the folding design - just what I was looking for, but from the Senn website it sounds like they're more for monitoring than general listening, so I agree that they may not be the sound that she's looking for. And at 64 ohms they're not great for unamped use.

well the ksc75 probably has the best SQ out of all of them so dont count them out. Its kinda funny how the newbies always discount the ksc75 since they "look cheap" and dont hear them until they get like $200+ headphones

May 14, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #8 of 30
I picked up a pair of AKG K26Ps a while back and really enjoy them. Folding phones that take up as much space as a PX-100 case. It's also a closed phone, so there's some isolation as well. I think they are bit less comfortable and more bass-heavy than my PX100s, but it's a reasonable trade-off for blocking outside noise.

May 14, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sketch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up a pair of AKG K26Ps a while back and really enjoy them. Folding phones that take up as much space as a PX-100 case. It's also a closed phone, so there's some isolation as well. I think they are bit less comfortable and more bass-heavy than my PX100s, but it's a reasonable trade-off for blocking outside noise.

on that note, I have a pair of AKG 26P that I'm trying to get rid of, if interested send a PM my way!

May 14, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 30
If you buy the KSC75, buy some type of pouch to put them in. If she just puts them in her handbag, they'll get hopelessly tangled. Also, the ear clips will snag on stuff in the bag.

May 14, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #11 of 30
Thanks for all the suggestions!
I think I'm going to get her to narrow down the options to the ones she likes the look of ('cos that's obviously what's important
wink.gif
) and take it from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the ksc75 probably has the best SQ out of all of them so dont count them out. Its kinda funny how the newbies always discount the ksc75 since they "look cheap" and dont hear them until they get like $200+ headphones

No offence, but whilst I'm not a hardcore audiophile/old timer, I'm hardly a newbie either! My main 'phones are a pair 2005 Edition DT990's and some E500's with custom moulds for portable use. I run a live sound and lighting hire company and am a perfectionist when it comes to how things sound. I also happen to be a poor student, hence not splashing out on all the audio toys I'd like to get.
frown.gif

Since the ksc75's are clip-ons I immediately discounted them (see first post). However, I wasn't aware they could be headband-modded, although to be honest I don't think it's worth it, considering the number of alternatives mentioned above, all of which will probably look nicer than some modded ksc75's.
rolleyes.gif

May 14, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 30
People, the man's girlfriend doesn't want any clip-ons, so nix the KSC recommendations! And slipping an hd280 into a handbag is absurd. The things are gigantic. And if new HP460 are now unavailable, and the SHL9500 isn't good enough for SQ, and she doesn't like AKG K81dj, then never fear! The best answer hasn't been mentioned. (edit, only been mentioned once-- sorry epithetless!)

AUDIO TECHNICA.

Girl-friendly folding headphones with great sound quality? Why look any further. You even get two to choose from: the ATH-ES5 and the ATH-SJ5. Bot about sixty bucks or so.

Here's a thread on the SJ5. Here's one on the ES5.

May 14, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best answer hasn't been mentioned.

AUDIO TECHNICA.

Pssst:

Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless
The Audio Technica ATH-SJ5 might be worth looking into as well...I find them quite enjoyable for the price/form factor. They do fold up, but they're pretty floppy -- they don't stay that way on their own (weirdly enough).

(But kudos on the ES5...I didn't think of that one.
wink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back