Looking for portable around ear headphones
Jan 28, 2013 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

lilVaratep

Head-Fier
So I'm looking for portable headphones that I can take with me on the bus ride (can get very loud sometimes, so noise cancellation is semi-important). I was looking at a few of these headphones:

Sennheiser hd 280
ATH M50s-Limited Edition or Regular ed, not sure which
Gemini HSR-1000 (not portable D=)

I will have to put them in my backpack (jansport) when not in use, so I would like some durability and I love how the m50 comes with a bag.

Music I will be listening to:
classical, vocal chillout, trance, rock, emo, melodic metal

Also looking for something with pretty good bass, as I have ad 700's at home and would LOVE something with more powerful bass. Also thinking of using these for home when I don't need the soundstage from my ad 700's (for bassy music and other music that doesnt need the soundstage).

Also was thinking of buying a fiio e11 portable amp. Good choice, or should I go with something else? Will be using the music on an iPhone 3gs (not using as a phone) and possibly upgrade to ipod 5.5 80gb later.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 15
M50, HFI-580/780, Custom One Pro.

I believe COP is the most portable out of those three, M50's cable is a bit bulky no matter straight or coiled version.

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 15
The 280. The M50 don't have a good sound signature and aren't very portable. The Senns are big but they fold together easily. Just the cable sucks, but it's not a big deal.

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 15
Any seconds on this? Mixed reviews between 280 and m50. I love how the 280's are cheaper (so i don't have anxiety purchasing the fiio e11) and have a coiled cable, whereas the m50 le only has a straight cable version.

tribestros: What's wrong with the 280 cable?

Which cans perform better with the fiio e11, or any amp in general?

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 15
Heya,

Sounds like you need a headphone that is competent with low frequency, isolating, and built to take a beating.

I would have you consider:

Beyer DT770 PRO (32ohm or 80ohm)
Beyer Custom One Pro
Brainwavz HM5
Ultrasone HFI 580

Match with that Fiio E11 for some extra bassy goodness (EQ set to 2) and some great volume control from any source.

Very best,

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Heya,

Sounds like you need a headphone that is competent with low frequency, isolating, and built to take a beating.

I would have you consider:

Beyer DT770 PRO (32ohm or 80ohm)
Beyer Custom One Pro
Brainwavz HM5
Ultrasone HFI 580

Match with that Fiio E11 for some extra bassy goodness (EQ set to 2) and some great volume control from any source.

Very best,

how's the dt 770 pro 32, 80, and 250 ohm differ? 250ohm seems to be the cheapest on amazon (i thought the more ohms, the better quality sound quality for higher volumes). and what differs between 770 pro and custom one pro? Always wanted to get a pair of beyerdynamics 770, but I've read that the bass can be overwhelming compared to dt 880 which is balanced (but it's open, which would totally be fine if it were for just at home use). is the 250ohm too much to handle for fiio e11?
lastly, are the beyers portable at all? LOL. They look so enormous. Trying to fit into a jansport backpack with max 3 notepads and 2 inches of books. would I be able to get a nice pouch/case for them, or are they just that strong?

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

how's the dt 770 pro 32, 80, and 250 ohm differ? 250ohm seems to be the cheapest on amazon (i thought the more ohms, the better quality sound quality for higher volumes). and what differs between 770 pro and custom one pro? Always wanted to get a pair of beyerdynamics 770, but I've read that the bass can be overwhelming compared to dt 880 which is balanced (but it's open, which would totally be fine if it were for just at home use). is the 250ohm too much to handle for fiio e11?
lastly, are the beyers portable at all? LOL. They look so enormous. Trying to fit into a jansport backpack with max 3 notepads and 2 inches of books. would I be able to get a nice pouch/case for them, or are they just that strong?

Heya,

The different imepdances of the DT770 PRO's are not a big deal. It's over-stated here that they're different when it's extremely subtle in reality. I would suggest you get the cheapest version of the DT770 if you can power all impedances. If you need it to be without an amplifier, then shoot for the 32ohm. The 80ohm and 250ohm need amplification to behave properly (which adds to cost of course). If you already have a competent amplifier, then just get the cheapest DT770 and you'll be fine even with the 250ohm.

The Custom One Pro is bassier, and has less treble (darker sounding). It's more forgiving of material. It sounds darker and the mids are a little less forward. It has a detachable short cable too.

The bass of the DT770 is hardly over-powering to me. The DT990 sounds bassier to me. The DT770 has a little more mid-bass than the DT880, but you should expect a little more whoofing from a vented closed headphone of any kind.

The E11 can handle 250ohm just fine; Beyers are efficient despite the impedance rating. You can get loud volume even on 600ohm Beyers with the E11. No worries there.

Beyers are big, thick headphones. Portability is whatever you want it to be. I use big headphones as my portables because I like the feel, look and durability. But some people want tiny headphones that fold. Everyone's different in this respect. They're as portable as you can stand them to be. They're strong enough to go into a backpack without a worry. I do it with mine in my leather messenger back with books and stuff. They're tanks.

Very best,

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 15
Here's a link to the dt 770's I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dt+770+pro

The price on the 250 Ohms is the cheapest, not sure if the companies are trustworthy, don't get why higher ohm versions are cheaper. Are dt 770 fakes out there? What price should I be looking for the dt 770 pro's? (looking at the retailers with amazon prime availability, as I have amazon student prime) Was also gonna get the fiio e11 ($58ish) with dock for my iphone 3gs.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Here's a link to the dt 770's I'm looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dt+770+pro

The price on the 250 Ohms is the cheapest, not sure if the companies are trustworthy, don't get why higher ohm versions are cheaper. Are dt 770 fakes out there? What price should I be looking for the dt 770 pro's? (looking at the retailers with amazon prime availability, as I have amazon student prime) Was also gonna get the fiio e11 ($58ish) with dock for my iphone 3gs.

Heya,

If you're getting the 250ohm then the Fiio E11 is a perfect match. Great combination for your needs.

Amazon prices fluctuate based on demand. The 80ohm is more popular, for whatever reason, so it's price gets gouged from the holidays. It will drop again. All these headphones used to run around $150 new. Since November or so prices went up with holidays.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back