Looking for PCI-E sound card with coax output
Mar 26, 2021 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chrisr34000

Head-Fier
Hello,

I used to have a system which had the following audio configuration:

Asus P8P67 mainboard -> Asus Xonar DX PCI-E soundcard -> (optical cable from SPDIF to toslink input of DAC) -> Audio-GD Compass AMP/DAC -> Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm

I've upgraded this system and the Xonar DX got damaged in the process. I did not care much about this, because I thought that I will connect the Audio-GD AMP/DAC to the toslink connector of the integrated sound chip (Realtek ALC 1200) on the motherboard and everything will be fine. So I did this and connected the Realtek toslink out with the toslink input of the Audio-GD AMP/DAC. The thing is, the sound quality is now different than before and it is not placebo. I feel there is some quality loss and the music is not as "full" as before. The highs are also kind of capped out. This is weird because I was thinking that all digital outputs are the same and there would be no difference. The current audio configuration looks like this:

Tomahawk X570 WiFi (Realtek ACL1200) -> (toslink out to toslink in) -> Audio-GD Compass AMP/DAC -> Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm

The Audio-GD compass has USB, Coax and Toslink inputs. I've talked to manufacturer of the DAC/AMP and he told me that this being an older model, he would advise against connecting via USB. Also he recommended me to test "coax in" and "toslink in", while mentioning that "coax in" would be what he considers best. Toslink could be better in some cases, because it totally isolates the computer and the DAC.

Now I'm facing some difficulties on what to do next. I have the following options:

1) Buying a new internal sound card and connecting to "coax in"

I was thinking of getting a PCI-E sound card with "coax output" (Asus Xonar D2X - because it can be had be had cheap, Asus Essence STX) and connect it to the "coax input" of the AMP/DAC. Then I read the Asus specifications that the coax output is made with an "adapter". Does this mean that the output is actually toslink with a "coax adapter" plugged on it? I'd rather prefer a "straight" coax output. Are there any PCI-E sound cards with "real" coax outputs?
Or don't I need a sound card with an coax output and I could get a card with toslink and connect it with an adapter cable to the coax input of the AMP/DAC?

2) Doing something else?

What would you recommend me doing? I would not want getting an external soundcard, because my desk is already too crowded. Maybe getting a sound card would solve my problems regardless of the connector (toslink or coax). I am really wondering why the SPDIF output of the Xonar DX was better than the Realtek output.

I really appreciate your input and help on this topic!

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #2 of 5
Toslink and coax is the same SPDIF digital signal via different interface - the formal via optical while the latter via electrical. They can't be converted from one to the other via a simple adapter. They can however being packed into one single socket and depends on the cable used, output either optical or electrical signal. If a source said it has a Toslink socket with Coax out, or a Coax out socket with Toslink, it means that socket packs two interfaces into the same space. It DOESN'T mean one is converted into the other when you use an adapter to get one of the two signals out of the same socket, as both the optical and the electrical signals already exist inside.

Mar 26, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 5
As the previous poster had said. What you are you doing is passing thru an "INTERFACE", where you channel thru your audio files. Real audio processing goes to your Audio-GD DAC. Your Realtek or Asus soundcard doen't really "process" your audio files, they just "passing" it thru to an "interface". However you're hearing more placebo on your Asus card than that of your M/B because Asus does a nicer job of "filtering" and "cleaning" the audio signals to be processed thru your DAC.

Looking at the back Asus Xonar D2X, I see two inputs, line and mic, 8-channel outputs, and the two combo optical/coax S/PDIF input and output. The adapter you are talking about might be the MIDI output daughter card. If you could have this on the cheap then your good to go. Attach the SPDIF Out (Grey COAX) of your sound card to the COAX input of your DAC. (source info: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-xonar-d2x-sound-card-review,3.html)

d2x-backplane1.jpg

What i am using is a bit more expensive solution. A USB to SPDIF device. Not those cheap $30 device. But one that regenerates and reclocks your signals.
Don't know, if your interested but here's the link: Singxer F-1.

Mar 27, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 5
Thank you for your answers!

@m-i-c-k-e-y: It seems that we are on the same page! I've already bought an used Asus Xonar D2X and a Oehbach Cinch cable. I think this solution will produce good results.

I am quite amazed that the mainboard toslink out sounds different than my old Xonar DX.

However you're hearing more placebo on your Asus card than that of your M/B because Asus does a nicer job of "filtering" and "cleaning" the audio signals to be processed thru your DAC

Can you explain this? I always thought that "digital" is "digital".

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 5
Its called JITTER. Look for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back