Looking for over-the-ear headphones for synthwave, retrowave etc. +gaming
Jul 1, 2020 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

larson80

New Head-Fier
A bit of background first.

I have the Sennheiser HD 518 and the HD 650. I bought the HD 650 for a more high end sound — which i got — but not so much for the music I most listen to. Being a reference headset, the 650 doesn't really suit the sound of synthwave/retrowave/electronic music. My 518s fare much better with this kind of music, the bass is actually there, even if not as clean and defined as I would hope. The 650s seem to be very picky on the mastering/mixing to sound good. Granted, when it sounds good, it's spectacular. In electronic music they seem to lack bass and sound overall very flat. Very few tracks in that genre sound satisfactory. As this somewhat applies to other genres as well, I find myself going back to my 518s in general, not to mention when gaming.

So. I'd like some recommendations for a good workhorse of a headset that "can do it all", most important being the electronic music and gaming. Tight, well defined bass with a nice hit seems to be what that demands. It's just for home use, so it doesn't matter to me if they're open or closed back.

I've got Sabaj DA3 and Head-Box DS, so driving the phones shouldn't be a problem.
Price range around 200 € but flexible if a great deal presents itself :L3000:

That's about it, I appreciate any and all feedback! :beyersmile:

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 2
Don't really know that you can do much better at that price point. Maybe run some EQ at your source?

For bass... Of my sets, the Philips Fidelio X2HR is probably the one with the signature nearest to what you're looking for. I picked them up for $100 a while back (there was a big sale) so you may be able to find a used set near that price. They currently sell for around $150 new, original MSRP was $300 but I don't know how long they actually sold at that price. I'm in the US, so not sure about pricing in Finland. I generally prefer a more 'clinical' flat sound signature, the X2HRs are more 'fun' with some bass and mid-bass emphasis. They're pretty easy to drive and should get plenty loud with your source / amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back