Looking for over-ear headphones in the $200-$400 range (bass heavy)
Oct 10, 2016 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Semus

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, 

I'm currently using the Beats Solo Wireless headphones, and I am really loving the bass and sound, but not the comfort. I've been using these headphones for over a year now, but they're starting to hurt my ears over long sessions (my ears are starting to get sores). 

So, I'm looking for a set of headphones that are comparable to the Beats Solo Wireless in bass and sound, but in the over the ear variety. 

I could even deal with no Bluetooth, if the bass was there. Any headphones out there that can match this price range and specs? Been searching Amazon, but there's really too many to choose from, and I'd rather get some recommendations from other audiophiles :wink:

Thanks! 

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 18
Meze 99 Classic
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 OVER-EAR
Oppo PM-3

And if you really want to sacrifice clarity and detail for BASS:
V-Moda M-100
Bower & Wilkin P7

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 18
If you really want head pounding bass, like feel it in your gut, hit you upside the head bass, look at the JVC HA-SZ2000. The bass is out of this world, they are the reigning champ of basshead over ears.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 18
  If you really want head pounding bass, like feel it in your gut, hit you upside the head bass, look at the JVC HA-SZ2000. The bass is out of this world, they are the reigning champ of basshead over ears.

I can verify this.When amped well and EQ'd I heard/felt bass that I did not know a headphone could produce.However the rest of the sound spectrum is pretty poor IMO.

The mids sound like there is a veil holding them back,and the highs are fairly non-detailed.

If BASS is your primary concern then look no further,truly massive bass.If however, you want a more balanced sound w/ less hardcore bass there are other products out there that sound better overall.

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 18

I can verify this.When amped well and EQ'd I heard/felt bass that I did not know a headphone could produce.However the rest of the sound spectrum is pretty poor IMO.

The mids sound like there is a veil holding them back,and the highs are fairly non-detailed.

If BASS is your primary concern then look no further,truly massive bass.If however, you want a more balanced sound w/ less hardcore bass there are other products out there that sound better overall.

I'm really just looking for a set of cans that can match the bass of the beats in the over-ear variety (sound quality does matter, yes). I tried the over ear version of the beats, and it just didn't do it for me. I think I may have received a bad pair, as the bass in the left was significantly more pronounced than the right (very strange). So, I sent them back. 

Some say the beats solo 2 have horrible sound quality, but I rather enjoy the sound they provide. 

I have a set of V-Moda's on the way. Should be here today. Will report back.

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 18
Audiotechnica WS 99 are pretty decent, they cost less than 120 Dollars now, They even surpass the pros in sound quality and Bass (quality not quantity) . The WS 1100 are 250 Dollars and are a bit harder to drive.

Jump on the ultrasone Train and snatch a pair of Pro 900 or 2900s, they have amazing bass quantity,quality and are easier to run than most headphones in that price range.
Audition the Ultrasones first, they are quiet sibilant.

match the Pro 900 with a Fiio e 11 and you are pretty much set.

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 18
  Audiotechnica WS 99 are pretty decent, they cost less than 120 Dollars now, They even surpass the pros in sound quality and Bass (quality not quantity) . The WS 1100 are 250 Dollars and are a bit harder to drive.

Jump on the ultrasone Train and snatch a pair of Pro 900 or 2900s, they have amazing bass quantity,quality and are easier to run than most headphones in that price range.
Audition the Ultrasones first, they are quiet sibilant.

match the Pro 900 with a Fiio e 11 and you are pretty much set.

How do you feel about the 900i? They are more expensive than the 900's for sure, though. 

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 18
You might wanna check out these....soon to be released.Check out the long video review of them by this forums resident basshead,HBB.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/795171/taction-technology-kannon-headphone

Oct 13, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 18
How do you feel about the 900i? They are more expensive than the 900's for sure, though. 

I tried both, the 900i sounds exactly the same.
It uses a different Head padding material and has a lower clamping force.
My Pro 900 did start to get uncomfortable after very extended listening periods. The I version was comfier but not by much.

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 18
So, I tried the V-Moda's, and while they were definitely heavy on bass, they sounded a bit hollow to me. It's very hard to explain, but they just didn't do it for me. Very close, though. 

OK, so those went back. Now, I'm going to try the 900i and the undisputed king of bass - the JVC HA-SZ2000. The JVC's definitely need a powerful amp to get the proper sound, so I did purchase an amp with them. I do have a quality EQ sitting here where I do all my work, so the amp might go back. Will compare the 900i to the JVC with a proper amp and cups. The 900i really won't need an amp to run, so comparing them is kinda pointless. I just need to make a decision on which I would like better in terms of portability. I do a lot of work walking around, so I'll need to carry the amp and deal with the cord with the JVC's. With the 900i, I can just get away with a Bluetooth adapter stuck into the headphones themselves using a very short male to male adapter. 

We'll see. Everything will be here on Saturday, so I'll report back then. 

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 18
I didn't find the V-Moda M100's to my liking either and sold mine. I love my HA-SZ2000's and Ultrasone HFI-580's though and I think you may end up keeping both the JVC and 900i because they are entirely different animals. You'll get your earth shattering bass from the JVC, but the Ultrasones are better for all around use than the JVC. Portable isn't something I'd call the JVC either, they are some big ass phones, lol.

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 18
earth shattering bass is something that you will get used to, earth shattering bass is so pleasing because of the contrast to normal bass levels, id rather go for a bass heavy can with lots of details in the lower end, its more satisfying in my opinion. 

The pro 900 deliver good sound without amplification but really open up with a decent amp (portable/stationary).

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #14 of 18
Oct 13, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 18
I can vouch for these having head crushing bass . They don't sound half bad either. I heard the prototypes so don't know about the production models.

Yep I heard a prototype as well at HeadFi meet in NY.....

I wasnt particularly impressed with the sound of them(except the bass,which was rediculous),but James has promised that the real version will sound much better than the prototype.

Either way I will find out as a Kickstarter backer.

to be clear I like them much more than HZ2000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back