Looking for opinions
Dec 14, 2004 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Hase

100+ Head-Fier
First of all, let me apologize if I insult anyone with my lack of knowledge. I am not a hobbyist although a couple of years ago, I took a physics class in my undergrad that was 100% devoted to sound and its recording, transmission and reproduction. I do not remember much of the the nomenclature, but I do understand most of the the physics/science.

That said, I have an iPod and am looking to get a new set of headphones. The iPod and my laptop are the only things that I would be using them with (my only "sources"?). When I use them, I am in public places, often airplanes, terminals, the library, walking between classes, and in hostels where other people are trying to sleep. I like to be able to not hear anything around me and would prefer no one hearing me (out of consideration for them, not because I am embarassed about my listening choices). All of the audio is compressed using a lossy codec (usually mp3 at 160 kbps).

I used to prefer the full headphones that entirely cover my ears (I don't know what that is called) but now usually use a pair of earphones now (is there a difference between earphones and canalphones) to reduce bulk. I preferred headphones because they seemed to sound better and they blocked more outside sound. I am currently a student and do not have a tremendous amount of money but will consider my options ranging between less than $100 and possibly as much as $160. I would also consider something that might require an amplifier if the total (amp and drivers) cost is in that range. I don't need something better than I will be able to notice considering my sources and audio quality levels, unless it is a negligible cost difference for a significant improvement.

Thank you all in advance and any information you can pass on, even if border-line irrelevant, would be much appreciated. Prost!

Dec 14, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 11
The shure e2 or e3 might be worth your while as well.

though, be warned that canalphones go deep into your canals and are annoying to plug/unplug with frequency.

i got rid of mine because i was tired of taking them on/off whenever i needed to.

koss ksc35's are a great pair of cans (clip ons, not that much isolation tho) for around 30 bucks

welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet!

btw HERGE RULES!

Dec 14, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 11
The isolation is pretty important.

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 11
Good to hear someone recognizes my avatar! Herge does just that, sleepkyng.

Do headphones costing the same amount as canalphones typically sound better or worse? I understand that this is personal preference, but going to school in Southern Illinois, Best Buy is the only retailer of such products and they really carry next to nothing of any quality. All the other audio type stores don't stock anything expensive, just order it when someone asks for it. I am going to be ordering something that I hopefully won't have to mail back and return/exchange. I'll be taking the iPod and whatever I buy with me to Europe, where I do not have my "big" stereo to listen to music through. I will just be working, not travelling much, so portability isn't vital. So if the bulk of headphones will help me to get quality at a comperable cost, I'd do that.

Thanks again.

Dec 15, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 11
do you like other comics outside of Tintin?

I'm a big comic geek.

love crumb, clowes, ware, pekar, schulz, herriman
the whole lot really...

If you want the most portable, canalphones and clip ons are the way to go. The Koss' are a great pair of cans, impossible to beat at their price point.
I am not a canalphone or earbud guy, they just don't work for me. NO BASS! (an exaggeration, but still...)

you might want to check out a pair of sony v6 (aka 7506), sony eggo 66 beyer 250-250 (not the 250-80), sennheiser 280, and the sennheiser 25-1.

these are all full sized cans that provide pretty good isolation and have decent sound. Most of them can be driven by an ipod's internal amp (tho the beyer 250-250 might be harder w/o an external amp).

canalphones will block out nearly all the sound outside of your noggin, but that can also be a bad thing. I found that I could not wear them, partly because the total isolation in public was creepy and irritating. The sony v6 do a good job of muting everything so that I can enjoy the music, plus the fold up nice for traveling.

what sort of music and sound are you into?

buying on headfi is a good idea, great prices and such.

Dec 15, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 11
IMHO, the Sony Eggos and the V-6's sound too bright (almost shrill) with the iPod. From what you are saying I think that you should investigate a good pair of canal phones (Sure E2, E3, and Ety ER6i are all in your price range with room to spare). I use the Shure E3's and love them with the iPod. You can order them, and just about any other audio product, from many different sources on the Internet, so don't feel you are limited to your local Best Buy. Canal phones will provide you with better isolation than just about any other type of cans. I use mine on my daily commute and with the music on I cannot hear a conversation taking place right next to me. The high degree of isolation allows you listen to (and really hear) your music at lower volumes, protecting your ears.

On the downside, I would not, as a general rule, walk around with them on in public. You lose all the audio cues that you are used to, such as the noise that cars make as they come down the street, and it could lead to an accident.

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 11
Sleepkyng: I haven't read many in a while but have thousands of books still in boxes at the folks house (they are terribly excited to see me finish school and get a house of my own to store crap). I only currently seem to read Spiegelman, Jeff Smith, Miller, Crumb, and the guy that does Jimmy Corrigan, now. Being in Law School leaves me very little time to read anything but case books so I haven't been in a store in a while. With break coming, I might like some suggestions though...
Also, Is there better bass with full-sized cans or just more bass?

Pov: No worries about limiting myself to Best Buy. I build computer systems frequently and being so far from a decent city, I am almost fully reliant upon mail/internet orders for that stuff. It is assumed I will have to order anything that I want of any quality. I will be working in St Louis over the winter break, are there any national retailers who would have demos of these things that might be found in St Louis?

I guess I am leaning slightly toward the canalphones for when I am living away from my home stereo (and when it is quiet time in a public place like crowded hostel rooms and airplane rides). I may still continue to look for something else for the rest of the time (full-size cans?)

You all are a great help, Thanks Alot!

Dec 15, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 11
just comparing the shure e2's to the v6s, ksc35s and sennheiser 280s, I would say that the non-canalphones are better at bigger and "real" bass. The bass sound in the canalphones seems funneled and lifeless.

When i'm using portables (and not my hd600s) I want a fun sound when I'm out and about, so I like a little bright and exaggerated sound, so keep that in mind.

Jimmy Corrigan is created by Chris Ware, and is awesome.
Currently I'm reading Palomar and Locas (collected Love and Rockets stories) by Los Bros Hernandez.

Dec 16, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #10 of 11
I have read good reviews of the md33s, and people seem to think that they have pretty decent bass. Would these reproduce better than the e2 or the er6i? And what about isolation?

Dec 16, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 11
I would also recommend you look at some Jecklin Floats. They are extremely portable, and should suit your needs well.

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back