Looking for open/ semi-open In-ears
Nov 23, 2014 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

yashi

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Well as the title says, I am looking for open/ semi-open In-ears.

I didn't expect that something like that actually exists but I found a few older threads which mention some, no longer available, models.

Sony MDR7550 
phiaton 210

How open is open when it comes to in-ears? I'm only have my AKG K240 for comparison, which is open enough for my taste.

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 10
Those models don't really isolate well and are not really open. Maybe you would want to check out something like the upcoming DUNU Alpha-1.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/740305/the-world-s-first-hybrid-earbud-the-grand-launch-dunu-alpha-1

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 10
Hm maybe i have to rephrase my question/problem. Maybe its solveable in a different way. 

My main issues with my current in-ears are:

excessive cable noise
can't eat while hearing music
skype/ voicechat is impossible because i have no idea how loud i am speaking.

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 10
Right, which is what the hybrid earbud or an outright earbud will solve. You can hear more ambient sounds like your voice level, they are not in-ear thus cable noise can run through tips and into your ears to be heard, and you can't chew gum or eat with them.

Not sure what you mean as the DUNU suggestion seems to fit even more to me now but you don't seem to think so :)
Hybrid(meaning the form factor and not just the driver types) should be a good compromise of stability in the ear but more open to address your issue. 

A 7550 will help with microphonics being over the ear but try to eat with it :)

I was saying the other two aren't really open just isolating a bit less which is not the ideal solution. If it still goes in the canal the canals will deform when eating and noise can still run up into the canal. Not entering the canal altogether is a better solution.

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 10
Mostly earbuds and small headphones. A few hybrid designs out there. You may be able to buy a bassier than you want solution that may balance out with a very light seal. You just need to find the right balance or you'll either lose the SQ without enough seal or hear the issues you want to avoid with too much seal. Something to investigate but risky if you haven't had a lot of in-ear experience. 

Something like this ATH-Sport1 has ambient style tips(bottom left in the pic) and cable routing to eliminate noise. 
9845797_1-e.jpg

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 10
Yep, forgot about the Bose. Yurbuds phones or just the Yurbud tips and a choice of possible buds should work also.

These might do a good job...http://www.safsounds.com/product-details/

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 10
JVC fx700, fx800 and fx850 are the closest you will get to open as they have large vents on the rear like the sonys, in fact they are the closest iem to headphones,they are as open if not more open than my ie800, I owned the fx800 and they are better than my ie800s in some other respects, a gem of an iem at a reasonable price.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 10
Anyhow, the DUNU just became available for everyone...http://penonaudio.com/DUNU-Alpha-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back