Looking for open-back headphones for modern "mainstream" music.
Nov 16, 2021 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

trix3072

Head-Fier
I've been using both the Airpods Pro and Max(thinking of buying the Airpods 3), and I really liked the sound of them. I've been told that open-back headphones are even better. So I've tried the HD800s at a shop and was quite disappointed because the sound didn't seem to fit the music I listen to. So I'm here for advice to get the right headphone for me. Someone noted that the HD660s/HD58x are quite similar to the sound of Airpods'...but I have no idea. Somebody said that Focal Clear or the Elex might do the job, but they were too heavy for long-listening sessions.
Things I've tried and liked: Apple Airpods Pro/Airpods Max/Sony WF-1000xm4/WH-1000xm4/Bose QC45/Beats Studio Buds
Things I didn't like: Sennheiser HD800s(sound was too 'weak', if that's the correct word. It was kind of boring), Momentum True Wireless 2(sound was not 'clear', it sounded as if it were veiled)
These are the music genres I usually listen to:
Pop(ex. Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber, Adele, Sia, Billie Eilish, Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Charlie Puth...etc.)
EDM(ex. David guetta, Martin Garrix, Marshmello, Alan Walker, The Chainsmokers, Zedd...etc.)
R&B(ex. The Weeknd, Drake...etc.)
Hip-Hop(Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Travis Scott, Chris Brown, Migos...etc.)
Rock(Fall out boy, Maroon 5, Coldplay, One direction...etc.)
My budget for the setup is not yet decided, so I would like to get suggestions from various price points.
Thanks.

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 21
The HD58X could be work well and it’s not very expensive.

What are some characteristics you want or don’t want - eg bass, treble, soundstage,
My budget for the whole setup will be about 3500$. I would prefer the "Apple" sound signature(if there really is one). I'm not sure how the bass or the treble should be, but I definitely wouldn't like a 'veiled' sound. What are some other options in the upper echelon?

Nov 16, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 21
I'm sure you can find something much higher echelon, but I am very much enjoying the Audio-Technica ATH-R70x, $350. Free returns for the ones at Amazon.

Google around for reviews and the consensus is very positive.

It's a studio reference style headphone, made for clarity, definitely not veiled. Unlike rigorously "neutral" studio headphones it has some oomph in the bass, and it claims a frequency response down to 5Hz (which is subwoofer-level for EDM, two full octaves below the usual limit of human hearing, 20Hz). From your music list you definitely want something with bass heft, and these have it out of the box, with room to crank it up via equalization if you prefer.

The fit is amazingly light and comfortable.

It runs fine out of my computer or A&K AK70 player. To get the most out of it, you could add a Schitt Magni 3 or JDS Labs Atom desktop amp for $100 and have some very nice listening. Right now Adele sounds great on these.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 21
My favorite headphones I own are my Dan Clark Aeons and Sennheiser 58X and 6XX.

$3500 is quite the budget!
I’d go for Aeon 2 opens. The just whatever dac and amp. You can get a nice setup from Schiit and be well under 3500 including everything.

Nov 17, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 21
My favorite headphones I own are my Dan Clark Aeons and Sennheiser 58X and 6XX.

$3500 is quite the budget!
I’d go for Aeon 2 opens. The just whatever dac and amp. You can get a nice setup from Schiit and be well under 3500 including everything.
Maybe the headphones I'm looking for should be bassy but not lacking clarity. Have you tried the Dianas? I wonder how they sound...

Nov 17, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 21
This set-up is 1/2 your budget and crunches most of the suggested systems. Keep reading and moreso keep listening.

Lyr 3 w/ multibit DAC ($699)

Hifiman HE-6se v1 at Adorama ($599)

Custom Cables SE cables ($125)

Dan Clark Ether Angled Lamb pads ($79).

================

Full budget? Schiit Ragnarok 2 $1495 and used Gungnir DAC ($650) and the rest (minus the Lyr) the same. Now you can also play speakers.

Good luck

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #9 of 21
My friend in Korea recommended the Javs X5 DAC and amp units to me, but they are not available where I live. The iFi Zen DAC + CAN stack is also a solid choice and should be available in Korea from what I've heard. The bass boost function on the iFi CAN can also fix the lack of bass you will find on most open headphones.

The Sennheiser HD 600/650/660s with bass boost could be a good fit for you.

Otherwise the Meze Empyrean could also work, but that one is 3000$ MSRP. Maybe you can find a used one for about 2000$.

Nov 17, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #10 of 21
This set-up is 1/2 your budget and crunches most of the suggested systems. Keep reading and moreso keep listening.

Lyr 3 w/ multibit DAC ($699)

Hifiman HE-6se v1 at Adorama ($599)

Custom Cables SE cables ($125)

Dan Clark Ether Angled Lamb pads ($79).

================

Full budget? Schiit Ragnarok 2 $1495 and used Gungnir DAC ($650) and the rest (minus the Lyr) the same. Now you can also play speakers.

Good luck
That first setup is a solid choice for the money! Easy and will sound great. I haven’t heard that Hifiman but I don’t like the feel of their stock cables and replaced them. Cables and cable sound is definitely beyond the scope of ny recommendation.

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #11 of 21
I've been using both the Airpods Pro and Max(thinking of buying the Airpods 3), and I really liked the sound of them. I've been told that open-back headphones are even better.

If you have the right amplifier to supply power without distortion and noise (or a lot of the right kind of distortion for some subjective listeners, ie some tube amps) and a very quiet room they'll sound better.

Otherwise it's like taking a GT car with a very stiff chassis but is also larger (I mean, your regular's sedan is mostly built so it doesn't easily crush the occupants, plus airbags; not to pull 1.0g++ braking, turning, and going 75mph through a corner before flooring it near the end of that corner) ie heavier, plus all the leather inside (think Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano being heavier than a Honda S2000), then putting the engine from a Civic in it.

That and the sound can usually be more neutral, ie no artificial software bass boost or bass boosted response by design as in many mass market products. This kind of like setting a Fuji camera to Provia and viewing it on a calibrated 100% SRGB monitor. That said Apple is closer to that monitor and such headphones in that regard than your average earphones in most electronics stores (let alone the impulse buy rack near the cashier).

So I've tried the HD800s at a shop and was quite disappointed because the sound didn't seem to fit the music I listen to.
---
Things I didn't like: Sennheiser HD800s(sound was too 'weak', if that's the correct word. It was kind of boring)...

If you mean you can't hear the beat enough, that's because the beat is in the lower freqs, and lower freqs are more affected by ambient noise, so if that shop isn't anything like a hi fi speaker shop with a dedicated room - or if your room at home isn't quiet - then the Sennheisers will be at a disadvantage.

The Airpods and Airpods Max have noise cancelling. The HD800S are wide open out in the back. That's kind of like comparing a 370Z coupe with a Bose system to a 370Z roadster with a custom sound system with the top down, as opposed to having it up in traffic and music is there to compensate for not using the car as it should be used (not that you can't do that on the Bose system) or when the car is parked at night and there's a party so the owner cranks it up to be heard outside before cops come and break it up.

If you hooked it up to your iPhone dongle there's another problem - the power output on that isn't exactly well matched to run a 300ohm, 98dB/1mW (or something) load in the way the Airpods and Max drivers were designed to have very high sensitivity and can run off a BT amp with a small battery (some EQ is possibly applied automatically by the software too).

...Momentum True Wireless 2(sound was not 'clear', it sounded as if it were veiled)

One way to make the bottom end more audible is to prevent auditory masking, where even if the top range and the bottom end are relatively even, it's harder to hear the bottom end due to it being more affected by ambient noise and the human hearing being more biased for midrange and high-midrange freqs (ie human voices; by contrast either pets hear an earthquake first, or humans just get a sense of dread from subsonic bass because they feel it rather than hear it, whether it's lava or a huge cat hiding in the savannah or jungle).

Similarly this is why some people like certain tube amps with certain headphones or speakers.

So I'm here for advice to get the right headphone for me. Someone noted that the HD660s/HD58x are quite similar to the sound of Airpods'...

If you're in a quiet room and driven by a good amp, probably true for some people.

In a noisy room, these will probably suck for you just like the HD800S did for the same reasons. Not to mention some people that like these don't necessarily love the response 100%, but they can live with the response (again, in a quiet room; and with a good amp) just to get the imaging capabilities that makes the soundstage wider and, harder to do on headphones, deeper as well.

Back with the old wired earpods (which were good for earbuds, and only bad because Westone and Shure etc were a thing and have better isolation at the very least) I have friends that can't tell the difference between the HD600 (with a fairly flat response) and the Apple earbuds in a reasonably not loud room, but they can easily like my Grados. If you look at the response graph though the Grados are very, very strong from 75hz to 125hz, and that's what everybody that likes Grado likes about them: boosting that range emphasizes the beat. Pretty sure if the same people repeated this with the noise cancelling equipped Airpods and Max they wouldn't say they're similar, they'd outright say the HD600 sucks.

Somebody said that Focal Clear or the Elex might do the job, but they were too heavy for long-listening sessions.

I've spent an hour going back and forth between the Utopia and my HD600 (with HM5 angled earpads), and

1. Didn't really notice any difference in weight.

2. The HD600 was actually smoother in the treble and the increase in the Utopia's bass wasn't "tight," ie it's more of too long lingering bass guitar notes than a harder, louder "thud" on the bass drums.

These are the music genres I usually listen to:
Pop(ex. Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber, Adele, Sia, Billie Eilish, Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Charlie Puth...etc.)
EDM(ex. David guetta, Martin Garrix, Marshmello, Alan Walker, The Chainsmokers, Zedd...etc.)
R&B(ex. The Weeknd, Drake...etc.)
Hip-Hop(Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Travis Scott, Chris Brown, Migos...etc.)
Rock(Fall out boy, Maroon 5, Coldplay, One direction...etc.)
My budget for the setup is not yet decided, so I would like to get suggestions from various price points.
Thanks.

Grado RS1i or GS1000i if you can find these and get a decent portable amp like a Fiio Q3 MkII to drive it. This assumes use in a quiet environment still, but at least the headphone response curve isn't geared towards a more objective, flat sound and just straight up boosts where the beat would be. One caveat: even in a quiet room you won't get the kind of bass out of Eminem etc that people who listen to Eminem in a tricked out Escalade would (this is not even a matter of physics ie headphones are smaller, it's just that this gets you the upper bass oomph but not loud rumbling bass).

If you can do IEMs there are a lot more options. Whether you'd use something like a Fiio Q3 MkII or just a dongle will depend on the particular IEM.

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #12 of 21
If you have the right amplifier to supply power without distortion and noise (or a lot of the right kind of distortion for some subjective listeners, ie some tube amps) and a very quiet room they'll sound better.

Otherwise it's like taking a GT car with a very stiff chassis but is also larger (I mean, your regular's sedan is mostly built so it doesn't easily crush the occupants, plus airbags; not to pull 1.0g++ braking, turning, and going 75mph through a corner before flooring it near the end of that corner) ie heavier, plus all the leather inside (think Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano being heavier than a Honda S2000), then putting the engine from a Civic in it.

That and the sound can usually be more neutral, ie no artificial software bass boost or bass boosted response by design as in many mass market products. This kind of like setting a Fuji camera to Provia and viewing it on a calibrated 100% SRGB monitor. That said Apple is closer to that monitor and such headphones in that regard than your average earphones in most electronics stores (let alone the impulse buy rack near the cashier).

If you mean you can't hear the beat enough, that's because the beat is in the lower freqs, and lower freqs are more affected by ambient noise, so if that shop isn't anything like a hi fi speaker shop with a dedicated room - or if your room at home isn't quiet - then the Sennheisers will be at a disadvantage.

The Airpods and Airpods Max have noise cancelling. The HD800S are wide open out in the back. That's kind of like comparing a 370Z coupe with a Bose system to a 370Z roadster with a custom sound system with the top down, as opposed to having it up in traffic and music is there to compensate for not using the car as it should be used (not that you can't do that on the Bose system) or when the car is parked at night and there's a party so the owner cranks it up to be heard outside before cops come and break it up.

If you hooked it up to your iPhone dongle there's another problem - the power output on that isn't exactly well matched to run a 300ohm, 98dB/1mW (or something) load in the way the Airpods and Max drivers were designed to have very high sensitivity and can run off a BT amp with a small battery (some EQ is possibly applied automatically by the software too).

One way to make the bottom end more audible is to prevent auditory masking, where even if the top range and the bottom end are relatively even, it's harder to hear the bottom end due to it being more affected by ambient noise and the human hearing being more biased for midrange and high-midrange freqs (ie human voices; by contrast either pets hear an earthquake first, or humans just get a sense of dread from subsonic bass because they feel it rather than hear it, whether it's lava or a huge cat hiding in the savannah or jungle).

Similarly this is why some people like certain tube amps with certain headphones or speakers.

If you're in a quiet room and driven by a good amp, probably true for some people.

In a noisy room, these will probably suck for you just like the HD800S did for the same reasons. Not to mention some people that like these don't necessarily love the response 100%, but they can live with the response (again, in a quiet room; and with a good amp) just to get the imaging capabilities that makes the soundstage wider and, harder to do on headphones, deeper as well.

Back with the old wired earpods (which were good for earbuds, and only bad because Westone and Shure etc were a thing and have better isolation at the very least) I have friends that can't tell the difference between the HD600 (with a fairly flat response) and the Apple earbuds in a reasonably not loud room, but they can easily like my Grados. If you look at the response graph though the Grados are very, very strong from 75hz to 125hz, and that's what everybody that likes Grado likes about them: boosting that range emphasizes the beat. Pretty sure if the same people repeated this with the noise cancelling equipped Airpods and Max they wouldn't say they're similar, they'd outright say the HD600 sucks.

I've spent an hour going back and forth between the Utopia and my HD600 (with HM5 angled earpads), and

2. The HD600 was actually smoother in the treble and the increase in the Utopia's bass wasn't "tight," ie it's more of too long lingering bass guitar notes than a harder, louder "thud" on the bass drums.

Grado RS1i or GS1000i if you can find these and get a decent portable amp like a Fiio Q3 MkII to drive it. This assumes use in a quiet environment still, but at least the headphone response curve isn't geared towards a more objective, flat sound and just straight up boosts where the beat would be. One caveat: even in a quiet room you won't get the kind of bass out of Eminem etc that people who listen to Eminem in a tricked out Escalade would (this is not even a matter of physics ie headphones are smaller, it's just that this gets you the upper bass oomph but not loud rumbling bass).

If you can do IEMs there are a lot more options. Whether you'd use something like a Fiio Q3 MkII or just a dongle will depend on the particular IEM.
I will be using it basically for home listening in a quiet environment. About the HD800s, I listened to it in a treated room with the HDV820 AMP/DAC. I gave it a second try. It still was boring, dull, thin, weak. The sound was natural, but it doesn't seem to just produce the sound as exciting and vibrant as the Airpods Pro or the Airpods Max. I've also listened to the Elex and Clear, which was quite fine for my favorite genres...What do you think about the HD58x/HD560s/HD660s? These three seem to be the only ones that aren't veiled from Sennheiser...I want to know the difference between those three and which one to choose.

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #13 of 21
I will be using it basically for home listening in a quiet environment. About the HD800s, I listened to it in a treated room with the HDV820 AMP/DAC. I gave it a second try. It still was boring, dull, thin, weak. The sound was natural, but it doesn't seem to just produce the sound as exciting and vibrant as the Airpods Pro or the Airpods Max.

Personally not really a fan of Sennheiser's electronics (Beyer's amps are worse).

I like the HD800 - which has a worse tendency to have a more sterile sound than the HD800S - with my Cantate.2. However if even the HD800S driven by a Meier Classic FF or heck a Burson Soloist is still boring, dull, and weak to you, you really need something with a pronounced upper bass and higher sensitivity or at least fed with more power. Something like a Grado RS1(i/e) (not sure about the X series, haven't heard any of them at all) driven by a Perreaux SXH2.

Or just stick with the Airpods Pro and Max. They're not outright bad headphones, and a headphone that tries to have a more objective sound but beset by power requirements don't work for you. Think of it this way: you use a Mac and you prefer Mac software, does it really matter that I have a PC with 8cores/24threads running at 5.2ghz and a graphics chip with 10,240 CUDA cores and also Tensor Cores for Real Time Ray Tracing? Well OK maybe if you want to get 150fps average/120fps 1% lows playing Total War: Three Kingdoms while the cooling system barely makes a noise because I've got water running through both of those then through three 360mm x 120mm radiators, so there's a clearer goal there, but what if you don't even play that game? In the case of music, it's not like your music will stutter on your Airpods the way Total War: Three Kingdoms will find even the M1 Max laughably inadequate (Intel's boast about doing better on that though forgets to mention that NVidia was half the reason why the M1 sucks by comparison to the 11900K).

I've also listened to the Elex and Clear, which was quite fine for my favorite genres...

If you've tried those and know they have the sound you're looking for they'll be the safest bet. As long as you get the same amplifier that you tried them with.

What do you think about the HD58x/HD560s/HD660s? These three seem to be the only ones that aren't veiled from Sennheiser...

While I personally don't find the HD600 (ie the HD58X is the 150ohm version of the HD580J; the HD600 is basically the HD580J with a tacky paint job) and HD660S "veiled" the thing is

1. I wouldn't be too sure you won't find them "veiled," because some people do find the HD600/580J veiled. More so when peoplefound them veiled at a time when the initial HD600 run had a 3500hz peak.

2. Sometimes the people who find them "veiled" are not always the same people that would find the HD800 "sterile." And then there's the possibility that you'd find the HD800 sterile while also finding the HD580J/600/58X or even the HD660S "veiled."

Basically, there's a good chance you might find these Sennheisers to be either "veiled and boring" or "not veiled but still boring," even with a good amp. More so if Apple is applying some kind of EQ depending on volume setting, ie, like Night Mode on A/V receivers, which can be one reason why they'd sound livelier even against a headphone that's getting a fair amount of power. At the same time the perception of loudness will get skewed - while the low end can be more audible if you crank up the volume, the human perception of loudness has to do with the midrange, so Apple boosting the opposite ends at that level can have that effect of sounding more dynamic than something that isn't applying a similar program.

One way to get around not using such a program (assuming Apple does use it) is to just find a headphone that is boosted at either end, but just going for a Beyer will not necessarily be a 100% guaranteed solution. Though if you could test a DT1990 out then at least you can listen to them first and hear for yourself if that's the sound you like.

I want to know the difference between those three and which one to choose.

It's probably a safer bet to get an Audeze LCD-3 or the LCD-2F (Fazor driver), which has the low end of the LCD-2 Classic but doesn't trail off at the top end of the range.

Or maybe an AKG K702 but your choice for amps will be a bit more limited for the kind of sound you want to get: Heed CanAmp, Heed CanALot, Burson Soloist (only sure about the older version), etc.

Dec 10, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #14 of 21

If I go for an IEM, then which one should I get? The IER-Z1R? Or something else?

Dec 10, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #15 of 21
If I go for an IEM, then which one should I get? The IER-Z1R? Or something else?

If fit is a concern for you, then check out this highly @crinacle acclaimed ThieAudio Monarch MK2:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003480779779.html

Also, it looks like the Focal Clear looks to be a good fit for you, so consider getting the first edition (final sales, but they should cover you anyways for any shipping damages):

https://www.headphones.com/collections/headphones/products/focal-clear-over-ear-open-back-headphones

Lastly, consider getting the Audio-GD R28 DAC/Amp, which is probably the best that you can buy with remaining money from the Monarch mk2/Clear first edition purchase :wink: :

http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R28/R28EN.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back