Looking for "ok" in ears $30 or less
Aug 14, 2009 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sean Logue

New Head-Fier
Family member is looking for the best in ears that are **$30 or less.
Yes the person realizes the sound quality isn't going to be the same as the more expensive types.

Places to look?
Earphone suggestions?
Both are welcome

**EDIT: $30 or less

Looking for durability as well.

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 10
Apple In-Ear Headphones with remote and mic for ~$30 off eBay.

There seems to also be a nice $21 offering that I haven't heard. I think it's a MEElectronics something something.

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 10
I'd say a set of MEElectronics A1-M9's ($20), A1-M9P's ($30), JVC HA-FX66's ($20), or SoundMAGIC PL-30's ($30). You can get the MEElectronic's from Overstock.com and the JVC and SoundMAGIC's are both for sale on Amazon.

Note: These suggestions are based on reviews, what I've read, and what I've heard. I have not tested any of these headphones personally, so feel free to ignore my suggestions.

~Sccrfreak342~

Aug 14, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #7 of 10
I'm going to second the Meelectronics AIM-9's from newegg.com or overstock.com. I got rid of my Soundmagic PL30's due to hiss with certain sources - and I like the AIM-9's more than my Sennheiser CX500.

Great mids and highs, soundstage and bass are a little disappointing, but the detail is great for the price.

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:12 PM Post #8 of 10
PL 11s are inexpensive and are great for rock and electronica. I love my PL30s for everything and they match up with an E3 nicely. I got my AKG IP2s for less than $30 and they are a great all-round set of phones.

I may need to check out the AIM-9s, if I can get past the Sidewinder missile images from my Navy days...

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 10
You don't have to settle for "ok" for $30. There are some things that are just plain good for this sort of money.

Depending on the person's preferences. it's really between the ADDIEMs (though not giftable if purchased from ebay for lack of packaging), Soundmagic PL30's (fun, forward mids, great accessories), Lenntek Sonix ($20 from costco, huge bass, well-built), and Meelec Ai-M9's (amazing clarity and high-end for the money, good customer support).

Aug 14, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 10
I think the Sennheiser CX300 is pretty decent.
You can get it from amazon for around $20. Just make sure you get it from amazon directly instead of its marketplace, or get it from a reputable dealer, to avoid fakes.
My equivalent Creative EP-630 still works after 1/2 year, though it does look a little flimsy with its thin wires....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back