Looking for non-grado rock can
Dec 26, 2004 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Natsuiro

500+ Head-Fier
Someone suggested the AKG 271s any thoughts on that? I'm just looking for a rock phone as an alternative to the er4s. I liked the w11r's but those are kinda hard to find. Any suggestions?

EDIT> This is for home use so portability isn't an issue. And I'll have a good amp so I won't have problems driving them.

Dec 26, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 18
The HD650s have a fair amt of bite, w/ a great sense of naturality (or close to it). Drums sounded great on em, even unamped. Listening to L'arc en Ciel's Ready Steady Go, I could tell they beat the dt880s I had, and maybe even the Rs1.

Dec 26, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 18
I know they're not in the same class with the HD650s but I find my DT440s to sound very good with rock (and nearly everything else, too). There is a lot of intensity with Aikawa Nanase's "Second Wind" with the DT440s.

Dec 26, 2004 at 6:53 AM Post #6 of 18
hmm I don't really like Ready Steady Go for some reason, but I do like some of their other songs.
Thanks for the suggestion Aeriyn, but why is your happy song so sad? =(

Dec 26, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 18
I understand why that someone suggested the K271S as rockphones, they're great for rock. When I first decided that I wanted a pair of phones, I went to every Hi-Fi dealer in my city and said that I was looking for a pair of headphones that rock. I auditioned SR-125, K271S, DT440 and the HD595 (all in the same pricerange here in Norway).

To keep it short, the K271S won. I found HD595 to be lifeless (the reason was probably no burn-in), DT440 a good allrounder, and the grados were beaten because of their harsh highs.

But since I couldn't afford the K271S, new source and an amp at that point, I went for the MS1
rolleyes.gif

I'm going to order a pair of K271S or K240S after I have orderer the Headsave Classic
icon10.gif

I would suggest that you audition the AKGs, seems like the opinions on them are quite divided in this forum.

Dec 26, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
And I'll have a good amp so I won't have problems driving them.

HD 580.

Would be better if you can get 650. If you don't need closed cans then I can hardly recommend 271s. Not a bad can by themselves but bass and treble extension don't go as far as 580. You'll get good mids, but even then I found them a bit off compared to open cans. Please ignore this reply if you don't like senn house sound. =)

Dec 28, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 18
I'm also in search of some non-Grado rock cans, as Grado's are scarcely available in Europe (I live in Holland) and cost almost double the amount one would pay in the US. Import is not an option because Grado doesn't like US-based web shops to send their products abroad with respect to their local dealers.

I've narrowed down my search to:

- AKG K240S
- Beyer Dynamic DT440
- Beyer Dynamic DT531
- Audio Technica A500

They are, from what I've read, good alternatives to the rock cans Grado produces and fall into the same price-category (100 to 150 euro is what I’m willing to spend). I’ve only had the chance to audition the K240S and I thought it sounded pretty good.
What I’d like is some advice on which to buy, or whether there are still other alternatives.

I will use the cans primarily to listen to rock music from my stereo, but I’d also like to use them when playing games or watching movies (sound-wize it might be a little contradictory). Furthermore, I want them to be comfortable, so I can use them for longer periods at a time. If necessary, I’m willing to invest in a decent headamp in the long run.

Dec 28, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 18
i don't like the way grado plays rock,few days ago i bought a 325 but the voice seems too noisy,and the band seems to be playing in a 8m2 room, even w100 i find it's better than 325 from this point,and 650 of course is better

Dec 28, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 18
I love my HD-650s (and 600s) but IMO they are not, I repeat, NOT rock and roll cans! What they do to rock guitar should be criminal. Way too laid back. But they are magic on drums.
You might want to consider the CD-3000.

Dec 28, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 18
No doubt about it the Sennheiser 600 / 650's are great headphones, but they aren't that well suited to "rock". A better non-Grado choice for "rock", is the Beyer dt770's. They have everything a good "rock" can needs. Quick response, punchy bass, and they are a little less expensive than the Sennheisers.

- augustwest

Dec 28, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 18
I am very pleased with both the Audio Technica AD1000, and the Philips HP1000. I listen to mostly hard rock and metal, ranging from Soundgarden and Alice In Chains to Tool, Megadeth, Moonspell and even heavier music. The AD1000 and HP1000 both have their individual presentations (AD being brighter, HP more on the darker side), but they both do rock and metal very well. The AD1000 is more forward sounding, the Philips a touch farther behind. Both do mids very well. AD1000 has great bass slam, with the Philips just a step behind. The Philips is awesome with highs, the detail is incredible, while the AD1000 is a step behind in that regard. Both have excellent soundstage, and are comfortable to wear for long listening sessions. The AD1000's bright, forward presentation can be somewhat fatiguing if listening for long periods. The Philips, on the other hand, is the most non-fatiguing can I've heard, I can listen for very long periods at mid to high volumes and never feel listener fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back