Looking for new in-ear monitor with good bass and very good acoustic sound
Feb 25, 2009 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Timaty

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for a new IEM because I'm not satisfied with my philips IEM's.

In the price range of $100 - $150.

I mainly listen to metal, rock, deathcore, classical, dance and trance music.

I really like crystal clear sound and a good bass (not too much, but a good bass).

I have recently been looking at the Etymotic and Shure IEM's but I have no clue what is better for me.

I hope you guys can help me out
wink.gif

Thanks in advance
o2smile.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timaty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for a new IEM because I'm not satisfied with my philips IEM's.

I really like crystal clear sound and a good bass (not too much, but a good bass).

I have recently been looking at the Etymotic and Shure IEM's but I have no clue what is better for me.

wink.gif

Thanks in advance
o2smile.gif

Although I've not tried them (and will probably get shot down in flames) I hear the Klipsch Customs are fairly bass orientated. Others will swear by the FutureSonics Atrio's & they are definately bassy.

Welcome & I hope you find what you are looking for, they guys on here are sure to help you out.
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 26
I checked the Denon C751 but they cost more then I can spend ($199,99 at the Denon site).

I read the sticky about IEM's and saw the yellow and black shure earpads and I think I would be really satisfied with them.

What do you guys advise for earpads?

Also I saw the ER6i Isolator and hf5 from etymotic. Are they able to satisfy me?

Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 26
Etymotic is something you want to stay away from if you like bass at all. I would go for the PFE's because you can always try the black filters if you want more bass than the grey's offer, and if you don't like them you can send them back and just pay the shipping on the way back.

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Hello,

wink.gif

Thanks in advance
o2smile.gif

Crystal clear sound sig, good bass? Well, then the Phonak Audeos are right for you, and they are under $150 if you don't need the iPhone model. Use the black filters and the Comply sleeves. Also, read the two main Phonak threads. No need for me to go over it here.

Also, the Monster Turbines ($150) are bass heavy (tames after burn in), and good detail and mids, but check that thread as well.

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

I checked the Denon C751 but they cost more then I can spend ($199,99 at the Denon site).

I read the sticky about IEM's and saw the yellow and black shure earpads and I think I would be really satisfied with them.

What do you guys advise for earpads?

Also I saw the ER6i Isolator and hf5 from etymotic. Are they able to satisfy me?

Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

HERE

Feb 25, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 26
I agree on the Denons. They have fantastic bass & pretty sharp highs as well, plus I just like the metal casing on them. Also, I know I'm going to be crucified for this, but I enjoy the Skullcandy FMJ's for their price range. They're not the most durable product, but they have pretty strong highs & decent bass, plus they'll run cheaper. Since you did mention bass, I wouldnt go for anything Shure produces in your price range. Their lower end models arent really suited for bass. Although, I'm curious about how their SE115's will improve upon this.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 26
The OP's max budget is $150, why not get the best he can for the money? I owned the Denons and while I didn't give them proper burn in before I shipped them back for being way too sibilant (burn in tames that, but I didn't feel like waiting), I would not buy them over the PFEs, even at $100 or less for the Denons. You want crystal clear, right? Those are your words. Check the PFE threads and see how many times that phrase comes up. The Phonaks are not FOTM phones, they are legit IEMs, very comfy, and when playing an acoustic guitar CD or similar genre, they are simply fantastic. And they handle every other genre too.

Another thing to consider, the Denons have big, pretty bulky metal driver housings, stick out of your head. To me, they were uncomfortable. I am not bashing them, but if you read around the various threads, you will see the PFEs and Monster Turbines emerging as excellent IEMs in your price range. Nothing wrong with being new. The Senn IE lineup is relatively new too, but people love them as well, though hey are more than you want to spend. Get the IE7s before you get the Denons, for sure.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 26
So I should go for the PFE's, I think that is clear now
wink.gif

Another question, I'm going to use it with a PSP and Ipod Nano 4G. Will they still provide that good bass and crystal clear sound? And how is the sound isolation?

I read here that if I didn't need the Iphone version I could get it for under $150. But which version should I get for use with all MP3 players?

Also is it possible to replace the original eartips with eartips such as the yellow and black foam eartips from shure? (for extra comfort)

I'm a bit of a noob in this but I am a musician and I know that I don't want anymore crappy sound such as my philips IEM's deliver.

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #12 of 26
You can use the Shure olives (black foamies) or the Comply T130s (you get a set of mediums with the PFEs). I tried out the large T130s, $13 for six (3 sets) from Phonak, and like them even more, since they are a little thicker (better seal). Personally, I like the Complys better than the black foamies (olives). Teh olives can be a little hard to get on, but it can be done. Also, try the silicone sleeves too, just for the heck of it. Your iPod Nano 4G will be fine, can't speak for the PSP. And no, you don't need the iPod version, which is more expensive. If you are going to get a Touch or iPhone, then maybe. But that's up to you.

For me, if no amp, I use the black filters, which can reduce some mid/high focus a bit, but I still find them crystal clear. If you either EQ the bass a bit on the Nano (bass booster) or use an amp, a cheap $22 FiiO E5 or even a $9 E3, it will help with the bass. But try without an amp first. Also, you have 14 days to return them if you don't like them.

Finally, my true preference (and advice) is to use an amp with the PFEs, gray filters. With just a touch of bass boost from an amp, you will be amazed at the clarity, transparency. First thing you do, put on your favorite acoustic guitar CD, and enjoy.

Oh, and isolation is excellent. Again, try the stock foamies from Comply before you buy any olives. And the yellow Shures also work, but are also a little tough to get on the sound tubes. Just be careful if you use either of the Shure foamies.

I have the white PFEs (got them new from a personal sale), but if I had my preference, I would get the black ones.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #13 of 26
Now, I am listening to Celine Dion's "Power of Love", 320 kb/s MP3, with Nuforce Icon Mobile (USB-DAC + low gain mode), no EQ, PFE's grey filters + silicone tips. Excellent seperations. bass, mids and highs. Everything just clear, just at right amount and recognizable. I can hear reverbration effects in her voice, and keyboard and few other electronic instruments are direct recording from line-out. Sound/head stage: It's likes she is 'screaming' near my ears, very addictive
smily_headphones1.gif
lol.

Now, I changed and listening to Nuforce NE-7Ms, silicone tips. Sound a bit hollow, mids and highs seem to be suppressed. Honestly, IMHO, PFE's bass is very REAL and FULLER than NE-7Ms. Head/soundstage : A bit further back, but near to (sub)woofer.

Next, Sony MDR-CD3000 full size cans. It sounds like sitting further back from the performances with greater out of head sound/headstage.

Ok, I had repeated that song 5 times already, and now, PFEs are sticking to my ears, continuing other song tracks and, feel very reluctant to take it off. Please don't do this me....

IMHO, Nuforce Icon Mobile is very decent DAC-AMP, and sounds better/greater than my Thinkpad's. Currently it is at low gain mode, which mimics most of the DAPs volume level. PFEs, do need a bit more power to drive, compared to NE-7Ms. But when it is fully driven, nothing can stop it
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried out the large T130s, $13 for six (3 sets) from Phonak, and like them even more, since they are a little thicker (better seal). Personally, I like the Complys better than the black foamies (olives).

While the black olives seem to seal better, the foam seems less compliant and ultimately transmits too much pressure on the external canal tissue. I can only wear the olives for about an hour before I need some pressure relief. The Comply foamies can be worn for hours with no issues. They are actually cheaper here in the states ordered from Phonak rather than Comply. $13.00 for 3 pair and no shipping charges here in the States vs 14.95 and shipping charges from Comply.

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #15 of 26
Phonaks....don't really want to explain why.....but uh..Phonak's. Crystal clear highs, silky mids, lowest of lows....That do it? Oh and this is basicly a neutral phone.....oh how I love it. I and others Tstarn included rave about it in the Phonak? thread....read thru the 100...something pages. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back