Looking for new IEM's
Mar 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Grosvenor

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys

I have a 5.5G iPod with SE530's and I've been happy with the sound for the last few years, but as always you want to improve the sound eventually.

So I bought the RSA Emmeline Mustang P-51. I ran it in for over 150hrs before even listening to it, which was hard to do.

Anyway I finally started to listen and I instantly noticed a slightly better instrument separation, treble detail and a tad more punch and clarity in the bass. Nothing major though, but worth the money I think.

However after using this combination for a few months now, I find it hard to get a sound/EQ for lengthy listening. It's the mids, they are too hard/forward and my ears are compressing on high mids (not all albums, but most) it's driving me crazy.

So I'm thinking of the Westone 3's as a replacement.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Main artists I listen to:
George Duke
Incognito
Level 42
Acoustic Alchemy
Donald Fagan/Steely Dan
Sting

Some classical and other artists in the rock genre

Cheers

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 12
If it's just the mids that bother you you could try EQ'ing them down. The Westone 3 has been described as bass heavy with a V shaped response curve, so it will have a sound pretty much the polar opposite sound signature as the SE530.

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 12
Yes. I've thought about that, but custom EQ in iTunes is a right chew on. You have to assign it to every track and then use the 'Flat' option on the ipod.

I suppose if I do it on album by album basis it won't be too bad.

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 12
Sennheiser IE8 maybe better pick because it's midrange and highs are there but not upfront and they improve with AMPs help.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 12
I read somewhere that the custom setting in iTunes do NOT transfer to the songs; only when you play them through iTunes. SO when you transfer the songs to the iPod the EQ settings don't transfer.

But yea... semisight that frequency response you stated... that sounds somewhat similar to the Triple.Fis doesn't it? I'm not comparing here just asking.

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 12
Judging from your musical taste and assuming you liked the SE530 apart from too forward mids, I'd recommend the Ortofon e-Q7. They are excellent IEMs, but for some there have been fit issues (read the fit-section in my review).

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 12
That's a very interesting review of the Ortofon e-Q7. The fit issue could effect me as I do have a small ear canal, I'll do a test, (carefully) as you mention.

Going back to the SE530's, it's only with the P-51 that the mids become too harsh for my ears. However, I do like the better instrument separation and the other sonic benefits that the P-51 delivers. You can't custom EQ (Young Spade, your right) for ipods, so I need phones that blend with the P-51 better for my ears.

Reading reviews obviously helps, and what would we buy without them, but you can only look for descriptions/opinions from the reviewers that you think match your own hearing characteristics. Very difficult to decide without physically trying the phones.

Do shops let you test IEM's, with modern day health and safety rules etc. Ahhh... take your own buds. Might work! Even then, they won't be run-in, (if you believe in that sort of thing).

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #8 of 12
Firstly, no offense, but replace your iPod with a Creative Zen series or Cowon iAudio series ASAP.

I don't want to offend ipod fans - but apple ipods (any iPod/itouch) & quality sound are on different planets.

Change your music player & experience your SE530 better & if you still need change - think about it then.

Mar 22, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by prodigy_techus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Firstly, no offense, but replace your iPod with a Creative Zen series or Cowon iAudio series ASAP.

I don't want to offend ipod fans - but apple ipods (any iPod/itouch) & quality sound are on different planets.

Change your music player & experience your SE530 better & if you still need change - think about it then.

Eh, a lot of people enjoy the results they get through their ipods. Handful of folks use them for their portable rig. It's true quality won't be as good, but with you go with all ALAC files it can be very pleasant
ksc75smile.gif
It's all a matter of preference. (although the Zen is LOVE)

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 12
As an alternative to replacement, your 5.5 Gen iPod should be convertible to an iMod, which would negate the quality issues previous posters brought up before. You'd need to send your unit to Vincent at Red Wind Audio for the conversion service. You'll also need a LOD cable to connect the to the P51 Mustang.

An excellent FAQ can be found here: ALO Audio » iMod FAQ as a starting point if you are interested in this.

I have one on order myself, currently listening on a 6th gen iPod Classic hooked up to an RSA Shadow with the ALO LOD.

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by prodigy_techus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Meh, iPods aren't that bad; I have been using them for years up until a month ago when I got the s:flo2. Some models are better than others (3GS/7G Classic > Other models) but if you use the "LoD" to an amp you can get some great sound.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 12
Yes, I was actually thinking of a different player. However, I have purchased a few albums from itunes, if they're convertible, it's an good option.

The iMod, I don't know, I've just spent £75 on a LOD from Ray S. audio, and that would be wasted as I doubt ALO audio would use it. I'd need to be really convinced!

Is the Zen that much better, would I really hear the difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back