Looking for new IEMs (max 100EUR/130USD)
Dec 26, 2010 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

loft

New Head-Fier
Hello guys!

Here I am, at another crossroads of my life: buying new IEMs. (for me they're the best for road/travelling). After a few long hours of reading reviews and opinions/recommendations around here, I can't really decide of what I need. So I'm putting down my situation and experience hoping that someone could near down my possible choices.

So I start with the price. I don't really wanna spend more than 100 EUR/130 USD. I'm not that of an audiophille nor I have a bigger budget.

My experience extends to a pair of Senn CX300 and a pair of HeadDirect RE0.

The first ones were bought during university so, back then (some 4-5 years ago) they were the best low budget opinion (I think). They were ok (giving the money and experience), but in the end I realized that maybe the only nice thing about them was the deep (but sometimes muddy) bass. They RIP since this spring.

So, after some reading around here I ended up with RE0. Nice IEMs, I really like them, but they lack bass. Even with some EQ they don't please me entirely. So I gave them to my girlfriend.

I also had the chance to try a FiiO E5 with both. CX300 seemed to have a better sound stage and overall better sound, but the RE0 were almost the same. (sadly I lost the pretty amp).

So now I'm looking for something that has the goods of both worlds: some RE0 with deeper bass. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to write them here.

Happy holidays! 

PS: RE0's tips are quite bad when it comes to fitting them onto the IEMs. Just before giving them away I lost one of the double flanged big tips.

Later edit: Right now I have an old iriver T10 which is going to be changed, but that's another story. 

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
i would say: Phonak Audeo perfect bass (the good thing is: you can change the sound with several filters)

I second that. I have the Phonak Perfect Bass and I think they will suit you very well.
They are also extremely small, light & comfortable to wear. The all black color looks nice too. 

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 6
PFE Perfect Bass is a good choice for bass, though might come out as slightly dark compared to RE0. MY recommendation is ECCI PR401. It has a slightly V shaped sound so you get a good bass and treble at the same time.

Jan 13, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #6 of 6
I am using TX400 (with build-in filter) with RE0 most of the time. TX400 gives just a touch of warm to the overall sound which is better balanced than silicone eartip and T400. It is still quite a lot more analytical the the PFE Perfect Bass (which is a bit dark actually in comparison) and more refined than PR401. I still prefer RE0 with TX400 over PFE-PB (but it is close) and PR401 (which lacks the top resolution to compete with RE0 and PFE-PB). However PR401 is really much fun to listen than the other two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back