Looking for new IEMs (budget $70) looking for options and suggestions
Dec 12, 2010 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

zibax

New Head-Fier
Hello to everyone here at Head-Fi.org. I would like to buy new IEM for my Samsung Galaxy i9000. Currently I am using stock earphones (Samsung). I already ordered Kanen KM948 from Hong Kong (but they did not arrived for more than 30 days), so I am looking into buying budget IEMs.

These are my options, I am opened to new suggestions:

Xears TD100 II
Xears XB120PRO
MEE M11+
SoundMagic PL50
Brainwavz M1
Brainwavz M2

I am from Croatia, so Xears are currently in my top choices (fast shipping from Germany to Europe).

My budget is between about $70.

So if anyone can help me choose the "best" one. My music preference is rock, pop, metal, techno and dance (very wide). So be free to post your opinions and experience about those IEMs.

Also, does Xears have any warranty ? I couldn't find anything about warranty on Xears website.

Dec 12, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 10
I can only comment on the PL50's comfort and accessories as my friend has one of them, like most reviews say they are hands down 5 out of 5 for comfort, my friend seems to like them a lot and he typically listens to exactly whats on your list.  the M11+ though you can get right now for as little as 20 bucks on their sale.

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 10

[size=medium]

Quote:
Hello to everyone here at Head-Fi.org. I would like to buy new IEM for my Samsung Galaxy i9000. Currently I am using stock earphones (Samsung). I already ordered Kanen KM948 from Hong Kong (but they did not arrived for more than 30 days), so I am looking into buying budget IEMs.

These are my options, I am opened to new suggestions:

Xears TD100 II
Xears XB120PRO
MEE M11+
SoundMagic PL50
Brainwavz M1
Brainwavz M2

I am from Croatia, so Xears are currently in my top choices (fast shipping from Germany to Europe).

My budget is between about $70.

So if anyone can help me choose the "best" one. My music preference is rock, pop, metal, techno and dance (very wide). So be free to post your opinions and experience about those IEMs.

Also, does Xears have any warranty ? I couldn't find anything about warranty on Xears website.

Well, Brainwavz and PL50 are apparently better built and come with better accessories than the Xears.  However, the TD100 has better sound quality than either (though the Brainwavz come close). See ljokerl's mega-review thread,  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-125-iems-compared-sony-xb40ex-ex85-added-12-08 .  To my ears, the XB120Pro has similar sound quality to the TD100 (more balanced, but treble a tiny bit less bright; I don't notice the latter unless I'm A-Bing them).  So if you don't care about accessories much, and don't mind getting other eartips such as Sony Hybrid clones, the Xears are a good choice.

The Brainwavz are probably the best "all around" candidates, though.  The M2 or the ProAlpha are a better choice than the M1 if you want good bass.  Both Xears have pretty visceral bass, so you won't have a problem with your preferred music styles using those.

The PL50 is probably the most comfortable (I have a SoundMagic PL21 which has a similar nozzle design, and it's extremely comfortable), although the XB120Pro comes close if you have no trouble with its diameter (I don't).  The M11+ is probably pretty comfortable as well given its small size.

For warranty info on the Xears site, click the AGB link at the bottom.  Of course, it's in German, but google translate does a decent job with it.  Basically, 1 year warranty from date of delivery.  Delivery is through Deutchepost registered mail, though you have to e-mail the site owner to get the tracking number (the automated system won't give it to you, unless he's fixed it by now).

Quote:
Can anybody compare TD100-II and Meelec M11+ (in term of SQ and bass) ?

Well, in the mega-review thread, the M11+ doesn't have that good an SQ, and lots and lots of bass.  The TD100-II (see the TD100 in the review thread) has better sound quality, and I can attest that it's got a lot of bass as well.

Personally, I'm really happy with the Xears TD100-II and XB120Pro I own.  They're very fun earphones with insane sound quality for the price.  I also have a SoundMagic PL21 which has decent detail (not as good), but I find it really boring now that I have the other earphones.

The Kanens are OK for the price, but if you can afford the Xears, they're a better deal IMHO.  The Brainwavz are probably a good deal as well; a lot of people on this forum like them a lot, and if you need something with accessories, they're a better choice.  The M11+ is decent (and comes with a very good tip kit--I actually bought it standalone for my Xears headphones :), but opinions on MEElec headphones tend to be more mixed than the Brainwavz.  Opinion on the Xears is mixed as well, but mostly because of the so-so cables and meh included tips; I haven't read anything from people disappointed in their sound.

Hopefully somebody with experience on the Brainwavz and M11+ can chime in and give a more informed opinion on them.
[/size]

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 10
sunspot, thanks for a great explanation. I've ordered Xears TD100-II titan. I hope they arrive soon (should be no problem because Germany is close to Croatia, so it shouldn't take more than a few days). I also looked for Xears XT120PRO. As XB120Pro are 50% cheaper than TD100-II, hopefuly TD100-II are worth 50% more $ :)

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
sunspot, thanks for a great explanation. I've ordered Xears TD100-II titan. I hope they arrive soon (should be no problem because Germany is close to Croatia, so it shouldn't take more than a few days). I also looked for Xears XT120PRO. As XB120Pro are 50% cheaper than TD100-II, hopefuly TD100-II are worth 50% more $ :)

Hm.  I don't think the TD100 is worth 50% more... maybe 20% to those who value its strengths over those of the bullets.  I slightly prefer the bullets myself, especially with a source where I can boost the treble a little bit.

Here are the advantages of the TD100 compared to the bullet in my view:

- Symmetrical cable (Y-cord)
- Nozzle are more commonly found 5.5mm instead of ~4mm for the bullet
- Treble MAYBE tiny bit better (maybe, hard to tell without A-Bing, and my TD100 has a lot more hours on it)
- They look like Monster Turbines somewhat; I think they look cooler and more understated than the bullets.

However, for me, the bullets have the following advantages:

- Better balance (bass is a bit less; if you like a lot of bass, you won't like this :)
- Easier to fit because of the smaller nozzle and the narrower housing, at least to me
- Smaller nozzle means they stay in my ear easier, and they are more comfortable to me
- Cheaper (I got them at 9.90 EUR; right now its lowest price is 12 EUR, which means you can get it with shipping for the price of a TD100 without shipping)

But don't feel bad, the TD100 is probably a more mainstream fit, and come with a few more tips (foam, double flange) that may make it worth it for you.  And if you hate J-cords (which many people do, with a passion), well, that makes it a better choice, definitely.  I've learned to live with the J-cord, but I use the bullets sitting at my desk)

The owner of the Xears site ships relatively quickly, though it can take as much as 2 days right now because he's swamped.  After that, it's mainly a matter of the Croatian mail system, which I know nothing about.  But shipping all the way to Canada takes around 8 working days in all, of which 5 are overseas transit.  So yes, it's probably safe to say you'll get them relatively quickly.

I'm pretty sure the sound won't disappoint you!

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Hm.  I don't think the TD100 is worth 50% more... maybe 20% to those who value its strengths over those of the bullets.  I slightly prefer the bullets myself, especially with a source where I can boost the treble a little bit.

Here are the advantages of the TD100 compared to the bullet in my view:

- Symmetrical cable (Y-cord)
- Nozzle are more commonly found 5.5mm instead of ~4mm for the bullet
- Treble MAYBE tiny bit better (maybe, hard to tell without A-Bing, and my TD100 has a lot more hours on it)
- They look like Monster Turbines somewhat; I think they look cooler and more understated than the bullets.

However, for me, the bullets have the following advantages:

- Better balance (bass is a bit less; if you like a lot of bass, you won't like this :)
- Easier to fit because of the smaller nozzle and the narrower housing, at least to me
- Smaller nozzle means they stay in my ear easier, and they are more comfortable to me
- Cheaper (I got them at 9.90 EUR; right now its lowest price is 12 EUR, which means you can get it with shipping for the price of a TD100 without shipping)

But don't feel bad, the TD100 is probably a more mainstream fit, and come with a few more tips (foam, double flange) that may make it worth it for you.  And if you hate J-cords (which many people do, with a passion), well, that makes it a better choice, definitely.  I've learned to live with the J-cord, but I use the bullets sitting at my desk)

The owner of the Xears site ships relatively quickly, though it can take as much as 2 days right now because he's swamped.  After that, it's mainly a matter of the Croatian mail system, which I know nothing about.  But shipping all the way to Canada takes around 8 working days in all, of which 5 are overseas transit.  So yes, it's probably safe to say you'll get them relatively quickly.

I'm pretty sure the sound won't disappoint you!

Thanks, so bullets are 8 EURos cheaper (at the moment).I prefer bass, so TD100-II should be great for me :) 
I also ordered Kanen KM-948 (from Hong Kong) more than 40 days ago, but I have not recived the package yet.

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Thanks, so bullets are 8 EURos cheaper (at the moment).I prefer bass, so TD100-II should be great for me :) 
I also ordered Kanen KM-948 (from Hong Kong) more than 40 days ago, but I have not recived the package yet.

Then you'll be happy with the TD100-II.

Be patient with Hong Kong shipments, it looks like they've run out of freight space on planes since thanksgiving.  Took 2 months for one of my shipments to come in.  You should eventually get it.  Do check if the HK vendor has shipped them, though.

That's always the fun when getting stuff from HK... you'll get it, you just have no idea when...

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 10

oh wow...two months,sounds like somebody needs to acquire more soviet union era transport planes
Quote:
Quote:

Then you'll be happy with the TD100-II.

Be patient with Hong Kong shipments, it looks like they've run out of freight space on planes since thanksgiving.  Took 2 months for one of my shipments to come in.  You should eventually get it.  Do check if the HK vendor has shipped them, though.

That's always the fun when getting stuff from HK... you'll get it, you just have no idea when...

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
oh wow...two months,sounds like somebody needs to acquire more soviet union era transport planes

Haha, right, or they should ship it by container boat...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back