Looking for new headphones around $320!
Aug 30, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #16 of 31
X2 is a great choice, glad you found such a good price! Now you have wiggle room to buy a Magni 2 down the road if you want to bring out the best from your X2 :)

Aug 30, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #18 of 31
X2 is a great choice, glad you found such a good price! Now you have wiggle room to buy a Magni 2 down the road if you want to bring out the best from your X2 :)
Thanks! im glad aswell :) Would you prefer the Magni 2 over the Fiio E10K?
(Magni 2 isnt available here in sweden)
Will there be a significant difference in sound quality with an amp? :)

Aug 30, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #19 of 31
Thanks! im glad aswell :) Would you prefer the Magni 2 over the Fiio E10K?
(Magni 2 isnt available here in sweden)
Will there be a significant difference in sound quality with an amp? :)
There should be a noticeable increase in balance and dynamics. The music should sound fuller and deeper with an amp to put it simply. The E10K is definitely a good starting point. I'd say the X2 would sound 70% as good as they ever will with the FiiO, and around 90-95% as good as they ever will with something like a Magni 2, Objective 2, etc. I'd suggest you get used to them first and then consider an amp later, that way you'll be familiar with the sound and will enjoy the step up in performance a bit more. Amp is definitely not a requirement for those headphones though! You'll still get plenty good sound without one

Aug 30, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #20 of 31
There should be a noticeable increase in balance and dynamics. The music should sound fuller and deeper with an amp to put it simply. The E10K is definitely a good starting point. I'd say the X2 would sound 70% as good as they ever will with the FiiO, and around 90-95% as good as they ever will with something like a Magni 2, Objective 2, etc. I'd suggest you get used to them first and then consider an amp later, that way you'll be familiar with the sound and will enjoy the step up in performance a bit more. Amp is definitely not a requirement for those headphones though! You'll still get plenty good sound without one
Thanks! Will try them first to see, and then decide whether or not to get a amp :) I have heard that when using the 3.5mm audio jack direct to the PC, you get some kind of static interference.
Is that true?

Aug 30, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #21 of 31
There should be a noticeable increase in balance and dynamics. The music should sound fuller and deeper with an amp to put it simply.

I'll add that this really depends on which headphones you're driving and which electronics you're comparing to. There are many headphones that sounded no better from the Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 than they did from the headphone outputs of my laptop. (Though you can obviously get higher volume from the amp, which is why comparisons need to be volume-matched.)

I have heard that when using the 3.5mm audio jack direct to the PC, you get some kind of static interference.
Is that true?

Not on mine; perhaps on others.

Aug 30, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #22 of 31
Thanks! Will try them first to see, and then decide whether or not to get a amp :) I have heard that when using the 3.5mm audio jack direct to the PC, you get some kind of static interference.
Is that true?
It's a possibility but not always true. That's one of the reason external dac's exist though! PC cases are generally hotbeds for electrical interference from all the unshielded components. If you DO get any weird hissing or distortion, an external DAC may be a good solution

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #24 of 31
Have spent some months with the Fidelio x2 headphones now, and I'm very satisfied with them. They are very comfy, sound and built quality are great.
And i feel the sound has improved over time, especially the bass. I guess they are "burned in" now. Or is it all in my head?
I think I'm gonna buy an amp when i can afford a decent one, curious how they sound with an amp.

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #25 of 31
Have spent some months with the Fidelio x2 headphones now, and I'm very satisfied with them. They are very comfy, sound and built quality are great.
And i feel the sound has improved over time, especially the bass. I guess they are "burned in" now. Or is it all in my head?
I think I'm gonna buy an amp when i can afford a decent one, curious how they sound with an amp.
I've never heard them but they're very easy to drive so I'd suggest not spending a ton of money on the amp. I don't think they'd sound a ton better but you never know! I don't remember if you have an external DAC, I'd suggest splitting your budget and getting an amp/dac combo because I think that'll have a better impact on sound quality than an amp alone. The Fulla 2 is an amazing choice

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #26 of 31
I've never heard them but they're very easy to drive so I'd suggest not spending a ton of money on the amp. I don't think they'd sound a ton better but you never know! I don't remember if you have an external DAC, I'd suggest splitting your budget and getting an amp/dac combo because I think that'll have a better impact on sound quality than an amp alone. The Fulla 2 is an amazing choice
Thanks for the answer! How much would the bass/sound improve with the Fulla 2?

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #27 of 31
Thanks for the answer! How much would the bass/sound improve with the Fulla 2?
I think the sound would be more detailed and everything would be a bit tighter and more balanced. Of course this is just a guess based on what I notice when I compare my headphones with and without a high quality amp and dac

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #28 of 31
I think the sound would be more detailed and everything would be a bit tighter and more balanced. Of course this is just a guess based on what I notice when I compare my headphones with and without a high quality amp and dac
Ok, thanks!
Can the Fulla 2 be used to more expensive headphones as well? Or do i have to buy a better one at that point?

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #29 of 31
Ok, thanks!
Can the Fulla 2 be used to more expensive headphones as well? Or do i have to buy a better one at that point?
It depends on two things: 1) How hard the headphone is to power, high impedance or low sensitivity, and 2) How happy you are with the sound. If you have a hard to drive headphone that needs lots of power, and your amp is underpowered, you may lose dynamics and the sense of excitement. It may sound a little flat and lifeless. For the second point, it depends on your hearing ability. My girlfriend is completely happy with the Bose earphones I got her because they're very comfy and they have those rubber things to keep them in your ear. She doesn't care about sound quality because she literally can't tell the difference between normal headphones and a $1600 pair. So for her, it would be a waste to buy her nice headphones. Same goes for everyone, if you can't appreciate nicer amps, then there is no shame in sticking to what you have. The difficult part of this hobby is finding a way to listen to the good stuff so you can make decisions before buying.

Dec 8, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #30 of 31
It depends on two things: 1) How hard the headphone is to power, high impedance or low sensitivity, and 2) How happy you are with the sound. If you have a hard to drive headphone that needs lots of power, and your amp is underpowered, you may lose dynamics and the sense of excitement. It may sound a little flat and lifeless. For the second point, it depends on your hearing ability. My girlfriend is completely happy with the Bose earphones I got her because they're very comfy and they have those rubber things to keep them in your ear. She doesn't care about sound quality because she literally can't tell the difference between normal headphones and a $1600 pair. So for her, it would be a waste to buy her nice headphones. Same goes for everyone, if you can't appreciate nicer amps, then there is no shame in sticking to what you have. The difficult part of this hobby is finding a way to listen to the good stuff so you can make decisions before buying.

Thanks again for great answers, much appreciated! Would love to try with amp/dac before buying one. As far as im aware there is no way to try these things in store. Or maybe i'll have to find a real electronic store of sorts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back