Looking for new headphone recommendations
Aug 11, 2008 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Double Dark Horse

New Head-Fier
I currently own Beyer dt770's and I love them, but they're getting older and I want them to last forever. I recently bought a laptop and I want a less expensive pair of headphones that I won't be angry if they get banged up. My budget is under $100 so I think I can still get something that sound pretty good, I think my main focus will be build quality and comfort. I will mostly be using them for music(everything from classical to metalcore) and gaming. I've got an iBasso D1 amp that I'll be using as well.

So in my research thus far Newegg has the Sennheiser HD555's for $99 shipped plus the $30 rebate Senn is offering for old phones makes them $69. I have read that they aren't the greatest sounding, but for $69 I imagine they are a front runner here! And I hear they are pretty comfortable as well.

Next option is the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700. Arguably much better sound than the Senns, but I would have to buy used to get under my budget. They look comfortable enough.

Both of these are obviously open so I wouldn't be able to record music very well with them and they might be bothersome to those around me. If there are any closed style cans in this range with good sound I would definitely be interested.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other cans in this price range or impressions of the ones I've listed? I'm not 100% stuck on my max budget, but anything more expensive and I might feel bad about them getting scuffed. Any responses are appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 11, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm a newly minted Grado SR-60 convert.
wink.gif
Small pricetag, big sound, massive bang for the buck.

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 7
Cool, I had no idea that Grado made phones in that price range! I've got kind of a big head how are they for comfort? Also, I read that the SR-80's have larger ear cushions would that make them more comfortable? Thanks for the info.

Aug 12, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 7
the sr80s have bigger ear cups, but are a bit less comfortable (in my opinion) and still sit on your ear. I think the only difference between the two are the ear pads and the cable termanation, but I'm not positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back