Looking for new Full Sized headphones
Dec 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

inanimate

New Head-Fier
Looking to get new Over Ear/On Ear full sized headphones. I like my music to be very balanced with descent bass, portability is NOT a priority for me as well as comfort. I mainly listen to Dance, electronic, dubstep, some R&B, hip hop, and may do little gaming if compatible but not extremely important if not. Looking for great highs and Mids and average bass. My price range is up to 200 so not sure what i should get. Will take all recommendations. Thanks 

Dec 17, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 51
I originally listened to the AKG K550 and was extremely impressed. My budget just increased to 300 at most if that gives me any more options. With all of those AKGs whats the difference between them?

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 51
What amp/sources you use?

AKG K701/K702/Q701 are all pretty much the same as I know. They have superb soundstage and very good highs (and mids?) 
AKG 550 has more bass and bit less dry sound (AKG K701 is totally flat) but still is pretty much balanced. Closed design helps with bass and isolation and they dont need much amping, unlike K701.

I dont have that much experience from Sennheiser but they are generally bit warmer than AKG:s and many like them (but K550 is a bit exception). And sorry for my english.

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 51
You might consider either the Sennheiser HD558 or HD598 depending on what you like. Both fit the sound signature that you stated. They are open so not much isolation, but sound very good and have a nice soundstage. There's an easy black foam removal mod for the HD558's that improves the soundstage and can save you the extra cost of the 598's. Either is easy to drive and works well without amping.
Edit: These are extremely comfortable, no steamy ears either since they are open but not much for isolation due to being open. Even though they are open the isolation isn't all that bad when it comes to leakage. They sound great.

Dec 17, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 51
So i looked at the 598 and the akg k550, and both seem like great headphones. I currently have the Fio E11, what would you say are the main differences between the 598 and the k550? 

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 51
I would jump over to the K701 if you are not looking for a portable/closed pair. They are open & they are great! think K550 but even bigger sound stage!!! 
eek.gif

never tried the HD 598. The HD600/650 are very highly reviewed, but slightly out of your price range. I think K701 (or Q701) would be winners for you.

You should demo them though, because for some people used to bass boost, the AKGs don't have enough bass.

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 51
  With all of those AKGs whats the difference between them?

K701 and its variants are supposed to be neutral. Nothing really is neutral, but they're in the neutral family. They sometimes have too much treble, but it doesn't get sharp unless the music is sharp.

The differences between K701 and K702 are negligible, including a detachable cable on K702. Q701 is more different: it's less neutral and has more bass and lower-mid response.

Your favorite genres are not what I immediately associate with the AKG sound, which is generally bass light. If any of them is good with those genres, I should think it's Q701, but consider several other models that are generally recommended for EDM such as V-Moda M100.

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 51
Well the 701 is around $40 cheaper than the 702, so is it worth the price? I assume they will both have a all around great sound to them. I can do without super heavy bass if the highs and mids are worth it. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 51
  Well the 701 is around $40 cheaper than the 702, so is it worth the price? I assume they will both have a all around great sound to them. I can do without super heavy bass if the highs and mids are worth it. 

Buy whichever's cheaper or prettier to you because they don't sound so different from each other. I listen to mostly to classical and prefer a bass light sound, so K70x was an obvious choice. But that's why I recommend looking at more choices for your genres.

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #12 of 51
Stay away from AKGs. The bass is anemic. I don't understand why people always recommend them for people who want balanced headphones. AKGs are great for acoustic recordings that have no bass because they have the best soundstage out there that I have heard. But they aren't good for gaming, movies or anything else that needs even moderate bass levels. I have the Sennheiser HD 558 and if you do the foam mod it should rival the 598 and meet your needs. Of course, the built quality of the 598 is much better so if you have the cash just get those.

The 558s are my backup pair of open headphones and I think they are a bargain for the price on Amazon (like $140). Definitely go with open headphones though if you are only going to be using them at home. You get a much better soundstage and usually better sound quality too.

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #13 of 51
  Stay away from AKGs. The bass is anemic. I don't understand why people always recommend them for people who want balanced headphones. AKGs are great for acoustic recordings that have no bass because they have the best soundstage out there that I have heard. But they aren't good for gaming, movies or anything else that needs even moderate bass levels. I have the Sennheiser HD 558 and if you do the foam mod it should rival the 598 and meet your needs. Of course, the built quality of the 598 is much better so if you have the cash just get those.

The 558s are my backup pair of open headphones and I think they are a bargain for the price on Amazon (like $140). Definitely go with open headphones though if you are only going to be using them at home. You get a much better soundstage and usually better sound quality too.

AKG is the definition of truly flat neutral headphones... it's just that most people who say that want balanced headphones actually prefer a bass boost. While the AKG bass may sound anemic upon first listen (due to not a lot of quantity), the bass quality of the AKGs are amazing with great texture, extreme tightness, and very deep extension. often the bass-light-ness attributed to AKG is sometimes simply due to an incorrect fit & you don't have a good seal. And you can always EQ bass up lol. I would always recommend listening to them for a few weeks to get used to the sound signature. You can really hear an exquisite amount of detail with such a neutral pair of headphones that is hard to rival.

edit: I have never heard the 598/558, so I cannot comment on those. I am sure they are also a very capable pair of headphones as well. The Sennheiser Momentum often is called a extremely balanced pair of headphones, but they actually have a bass boost that is very pleasing to consumers looking for clarity along with solid bass. What sounds balanced to someone is often a matter of perspective. However, the AKG have a very flat sound frequency response, so that is why their name gets thrown up whenever someone says balanced.

AKG K550 FR graph

Sennheiser Momentum FR graph

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 51
I will admit that I only tried the K701s for a week, despised them because of their bass and then sent them back. The DT 990 is more artificial sounding but is more practical for me because I don't like EQing it. The build quality of the K701s was also extremely poor, especially for the price. 

I think OPs best bet is a pair of Sennheisers, the 598s are well within his budget and should be great for what he wants. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 51
  I will admit that I only tried the K701s for a week, despised them because of their bass and then sent them back. The DT 990 is more artificial sounding but is more practical for me because I don't like EQing it. The build quality of the K701s was also extremely poor, especially for the price. 

I think OPs best bet is a pair of Sennheisers, the 598s are well within his budget and should be great for what he wants. 

I haven't heard the 598, but I found a FR curve for them and they do indeed look like they are technically balanced.

HD598 FR graph: http://www.headphone.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd-598.php
AKG K701 for comparison: http://www.headphone.com/headphones/akg-k-701-white.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back