Looking for new DAC+Headphone combo
Dec 7, 2019 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Eskinto

New Head-Fier
Hello there!! first time posting :)

I'm looking for a meaningful upgrade for my aging DAC+Headphone setup, my budget is max 1,000$

I will listen at home, for long periods, so they need to be comfortable, to all kinds of music, mostly uncompressed, I'm looking for a warm sound with a lot of detail, over the ear closed cans are preferred, but I'm open to suggestions

My current setup:

Aune T1 DAC: connected to a computer, I'm a big fan of the wide sound stage it creates
PSB M4U 2: Closed cans, but not the noise canceling model

is there a meaningful upgrade within that budget that would pair well together? or should I wait, save and spend more later?

Thanks! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 6
Not too many warm headphones would be considered to be detailed,not to mention having to throw a wide stage as well. Youve kinda limited yourself with those requirements.
The only warm sounding headphone that I know of that throws a massive stage and is highly detailed is the ZMF Verite closed,which is more than double your budget,not to mention will require a better amp than what youre currently using.

Going down a ways in budget and sound quality would be the Campfire Cascades,which are very warm,with gobs of bass. I dont recall its staging or detail level though.

Another option is the AudioQuest NightOwl,which are also extremely warm. Again do not recall staging or detail level. Finally you can look into the Meze 99s as well.

Dec 7, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 6
Hello there!! first time posting :)
I'm looking for a meaningful upgrade for my aging DAC+Headphone setup, my budget is max 1,000$
I will listen at home, for long periods, so they need to be comfortable, to all kinds of music, mostly uncompressed, I'm looking for a warm sound with a lot of detail, over the ear closed cans are preferred, but I'm open to suggestions
My current setup: Aune T1 DAC: connected to a computer, I'm a big fan of the wide sound stage it creates PSB M4U 2: Closed cans, but not the noise canceling model
there a meaningful upgrade within that budget that would pair well together? or should I wait, save and spend more later? Thanks! :beerchug:
Topping DX7 Pro DAC/amp, comes with dual DAC chips and a balanced headphone jack.
https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx7s
Then spend the rest of your audio budget for headphones, that can use a balanced headphone cable.
These Fostex TR-X00 headphones have always tempted me.
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-tr-x00-mahogany-headphones

Dec 9, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 6
The Fostex @PurpleAngel mentioned arrived last week and I had a few hours listening to them. Coming from 40 years of mostly Sennheisers the Fostex are hard to get used to. The V is real and the treble is a bit much. What I didn't expect was the bass and percussion performance. This is a really fast pair of headphones. Any kind of percussion instrument sounds exactly like it should. I cannot really listen to these as a general headphone without some serious EQ but overall they're a very nice set. The pads are very comfortable for me and the amount of clamp is just right maybe even a little loose. The wood is very nice, flawless on mine. I have an average size head and I'm almost all the way closed on the adjustment. I think these will not sit well if you have a really small head. Overall good to have in the stable but not as your only pair probably. Not like many people here have that problem :D

Dec 13, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for all the insights! I looked into all the suggestions

and in the end ignored most of my own criteria... :o2smile: and fell in the trap of the new toy and ordered the Verum-1, so planar magnetic open cans...

my reasoning was that I already have closed headphones so... better try something new that seems to stand out in its price range and see if it blows my mind

The Fostex TR-X00 look fantastic but I read a lot about the prominent V, which is probably too much for what I hope to be my main pair

now I have to find a good amp pairing, that Topping DX7 Pro DAC/amp looks very promising

Users who are viewing this thread

Back