Looking for neutral sounding headphones
Oct 18, 2014 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Rozenberg

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello gentlemen,
I'm asking kindly for your recommendation and I apologize in advance if I sound too demanding. I'm trying to be as detailed as I could.

I've done my research for weeks in order to buy a new portable headphone but I still can't decide.
I limit my budget to 150€ for a balanced, neutral sounding phones that could produce clear vocal.
I'm not a basshead, most of my musics are either slow musics, pop, or some jazz/classical/piano instrumental and I like to hear detailed sound of those instruments.

The device I'm using is a Sansa Clip+ paired with Fiio E6, though I'll buy the E11K later after I decide what headphone to buy.
I prefer over ear so that it would not hurt my ear after long use. And if possible, lightweight and with detachable cable as well. Plus closed of course.
Also, I don't really want a big-looking headphones as it makes it harder to stuff it inside my bag.
I did say I want to use headphones while walking etc, but in the same time, I'm also thinking of using it at home by having another longer cable that I could plug to the headphone.

For your additional reference, I have tried several headphones and dropped them from the list out of my personal impression;

Bang & Olufsen H6 - I tried it at Dubai duty free shop. To my surprise, it is really light and comfortable with detachable cable, plus sounds real good. It's perfect for me, but not for my wallet.
Bowers Wilkins P7 - same as B&O H6, but I prefer the H6.
Bowers Wilkins P5 - They're on ear :frowning2:
Harman Kardon Soho - Uuuh... I don't really know how to put it. First, they're on ear and not really comfortable, and doesn't sound so different from my Harman Kardon AE.
Bose QC2 - Isolation is real good, really comfortable, clear vocal, but I feel like it's lacking details on the other instruments.
Sennheiser Momentum - They're on ear :frowning2: 
Beats - Definitely a no. More bass, vocal is muddy.
My friend's HD598 - This one also sounds good, but I feel like it's lacking something....  And definitely not suited for portable use.
My friend's ATH M50 - In short, too bassy for me. And don't really like the model.

I have asked for recommendation before, and Beyerdynamic DT250 80 Ohm looks really promising when I search it.
I heard it's balanced and really good, in addition I like Beyerdynamic since they're comfortable on my head.
I was almost convinced, until I see the cables : coiled cable.

So, I can't ignore this cable problem because I always put my Sansa and the amp in my shirt pocket. The cable would be hanging down from my upper pocket and I think it'll feel rather heavy.
Or it is not? I do know coiled cable is sometimes good. but sometimes could be annoying. The other problem is, straight cable for this DT250 isn't cheap for a college student like me.
Some other brands have also been recommended but most of it isn't available in Germany.

Well then guys, please convince me that coiled cable isn't really problematic for portable use, or if any of you have something better in mind, I'd be happy to hear it out from you.
Thanks for taking your time reading this.

Oct 18, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 21
I've seen some strong recommendations for the Beyerdynamic DT 250 as well, however, the 250ohm version is the way to go with those and that presents a whole other set of challenges making them far less portable.  If you want a super cheap, ultra portable solution for a neutral headphone in the meantime while you continue your search I strongly recommend picking up a pair of JVC Flats. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jvc%20flats&sprefix=jvc+f%2Caps you can check out the headfier reviews for them here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/jvc-has160b-flats-lightweight-headband-headphones-black

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 21
For neutral school, XPT100 or HM5 (same driver, slightly different headband and pads) but it's not compact. If you're open to suggestions, I recommend foregoing headphones for portable use in favor of IEMs such as RE400. Best luck!

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 21
KRK KNS 8400.  It has a removable cable and you can buy a short one for portable use. Folds for convenience.

That's a pretty good choice soundwise. Note, however, the stock cable is one of the noisiest I've used (KRK said it was "defective" and sent me another just as bad) so good thing it's replaceable. I believe K450 and M50x cables fit.

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 21
  I've seen some strong recommendations for the Beyerdynamic DT 250 as well, however, the 250ohm version is the way to go with those and that presents a whole other set of challenges making them far less portable.  If you want a super cheap, ultra portable solution for a neutral headphone in the meantime while you continue your search I strongly recommend picking up a pair of JVC Flats. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jvc%20flats&sprefix=jvc+f%2Caps you can check out the headfier reviews for them here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/jvc-has160b-flats-lightweight-headband-headphones-black

to be honest, I don't like how it looks, and on-ear. The cable looks fragile, is it tough for the price?
It really is super cheap though, I might try them one day

For neutral school, XPT100 or HM5 (same driver, slightly different headband and pads) but it's not compact. If you're open to suggestions, I recommend foregoing headphones for portable use in favor of IEMs such as RE400. Best luck!

Sadly I can't find Brainwavz or the NVX here.
Actually RE400 piques my interest, but as I already have an IEM for now, I might buy them in the future.

KRK KNS 8400.  It has a removable cable and you can buy a short one for portable use.  Folds for convenience.

That's a pretty good choice soundwise. Note, however, the stock cable is one of the noisiest I've used (KRK said it was "defective" and sent me another just as bad) so good thing it's replaceable. I believe K450 and M50x cables fit.

This one going into my list as well. I can find them cheaper than the DT250
If what Claritas said is true, I'll have to look for cables as well---- and that's not easy here.

beyer DT880 is quite good with Fiio E11K

Is 200€+ and the big design doesn't really suit for portable.

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #10 of 21
Sadly I can't find Brainwavz or the NVX here.

There are several other versions of the same phone. The original (non-Ti) version of FA003, Jaycar Pro, and Lindy HF100. I see a used FA003 for sale here. Maybe the seller's willing to send it abroad.

Otherwise, I agree with KGJ about the KRKs. It shouldn't be that hard to find some cable that works, if they haven't improved the stock ones.

It's pretty ridiculous how few closed neutral headphones there are--at any price.

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #11 of 21
There are some available here, but not many. Almost to none and the price is kinda ridiculous compared to the US.
But now I am more convinced toward the KRK. Spending almost my entire morning reading about it and the DT250, the KRK seems a good fit for several reasons :

- Price : DT250 is 149€ here (139€ used) while the KRK is 119€ (105€ used). Not to mention I'm going for the Fiio E11K as well.
- Cables : DT250 straight replacement cable is expensive, while the KRK's already got straight cable with cheaper replacement.
- Design : Both actually looks more or less the same. No problem with both.
- Comfort : To be honest, I prefer Beyer's pads. I wonder if I could replace KRK's with velour pads.

Now the only thing is sound. I've read about the KRK, and it seems the sound is so detailed that you could hear dog barking or bird chirping in the background. Oh lol, is that true?
That's the kind of detail that I want (but not really have to). I want to hear the instruments separated nicely with clear vocal.
Judging from the posts on the appreciation thread, people seemed impressed by it. As for me who haven't had any good sounding headphones, maybe I'll be more impressed as well.
But just to be safe, I want to know what's lacking in the 8400.

And yeah, any neutral headphones that I tried at the store and made me don't want to take it off are priced at 300€+ range.

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #12 of 21
The downsides to KNS8400 are:

Shallow pads, but I didn't find it uncomfortable because it's shallow enough to touch my ears more than just a little, so I didn't get that weird feeling when pads touch my ear in only one spot, but not pressing too hard against my ear either.

Crisp upper mids / lower treble. Not hot, but a little crisp and mildly fatiguing like K70x. Burn in did next to nothing in this case. But I'm pretty sure it can be fixed by experimenting a little with front damping. Try some felt over the driver behind the pads.

The tone is cold and analytical like K70x again. Neutrality is often that way, though it doesn't have to be.

Its high resolution makes bad recordings sound worse. Or makes you realize just how bad they are, if you hadn't noticed before. So use good masters.

I think it deserves to be better-known, but most people don't want a neutral sound (which is fine, except that it inhibits companies from producing neutral phones).

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #13 of 21
The downsides to KNS8400 are:

Shallow pads, but I didn't find it uncomfortable because it's shallow enough to touch my ears more than just a little, so I didn't get that weird feeling when pads touch my ear in only one spot, but not pressing too hard against my ear either.

Crisp upper mids / lower treble. Not hot, but a little crisp and mildly fatiguing like K70x. Burn in did next to nothing in this case. But I'm pretty sure it can be fixed by experimenting a little with front damping. Try some felt over the driver behind the pads.

The tone is cold and analytical like K70x again. Neutrality is often that way, though it doesn't have to be.

Its high resolution makes bad recordings sound worse. Or makes you realize just how bad they are, if you hadn't noticed before. So use good masters.

I think it deserves to be better-known, but most people don't want a neutral sound (which is fine, except that it inhibits companies from producing neutral phones).

Alright, reading the downsides, seems like there is nothing too major for me.
If any problem persists, I'll take your advice to mod it, though I've never tinkered with headphones before, tbh I feel scared but I'll ask in the thread when the time comes.

I'm really glad I asked. For now 8400 is on top of my list, but I'm still open to more recommendation if there is any.
However there are still 2 options : new or used? Heard they need burn in because it sounds horrible out of the box. Truth is, I've experienced the same thing with my Harman Kardon, it sounded real bad out of the box, so muddy, but after days of using it, it eventually got better.

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #14 of 21
Alright, reading the downsides, seems like there is nothing too major for me.

If any problem persists, I'll take your advice to mod it, though I've never tinkered with headphones before, tbh I feel scared but I'll ask in the thread when the time comes.

Sure thing. PM me if you want to mod.

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #15 of 21
Sure thing. PM me if you want to mod.

Will do. Thanks

And I've finally purchased my KRK, now I only need to wait while wondering whether E6 could drive it or maybe I need the E11K 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back