Looking for my next upgrade of over-ears
Apr 24, 2016 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

audiophilefan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi audio masters!

I'm planning to get a new pair anytime soon. I'll be using them mostly in the office and during my leisure listening time at home (mostly next to my little toddler boy while he sleeps). I've read a lot of reviews, mostly from reputable sites like The Wirecutter, CNET, Innerfidelity and of course, this community. Anywhere else in the internet and it's just redundant or I dare say not as accurate or insightful as what you guys can provide. 

OPTIONS
So here is my short-list. I categorized them based on my personal budget.

Budget Options ($100 range)
  • Shure SRH440
  • Grado SR80e

Mid-tier Option ($200 range)
  • Shure SRH840 or SRH940 (granting that they're almost priced the same)
  • Beyerdynamic DT880 (32 or 250 ohms as I'm assuming the 600 ohm once are more expensive and may not be powered enough by my X1 + E11k stack)

Higher-end Option ($300 range - not willing to go beyond this due to diminishing returns)
  • Hifiman HE400s

PREFERRED SOUND SIGNATURE
My preferred sound is leaning more towards bright, fun and energetic, with just enough bass to give you that visceral impact if needed (especially for rock). I want a detailed listen and I'm a fan of "speedy" sounding headphones. I also want decent soundstage and imaging. I understand that open-back (even semi-open) do not provide much isolation but if among my open options you can pinpoint which one leaks the least then that would be helpful. 

BACKGROUND
I'll be upgrading from a fully burnt-in (several months) JVC HA-RX700 and I must say, after testing some units through a local store, I'm a bit hard pressed finding a worthy upgrade for these headphones considering what I paid them for. And by worthy I mean something that will not make me hesitate to pull the trigger regardless of the price ($100-$300). 

MUSIC PREFERENCES
I listen to a wide variety of music mostly in flac and a few 320kbps MP3s -  Jazz (e.g. Spyro Gyra), Prog (e.g. Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree), 80s Hair Metal (e.g. Trixter, Warrant, the likes (this is my favorite genre)), Metal (e.g. P.O.D, Limp Bizkit), Pop (e.g. Grammy Nominees albums), Rap (e.g. Eminem) and other things in between (Pop-Rock, etc.). I don't listen to electronic music. So I prefer an all-rounder if possible. 

WHAT I READ/HEARD UP TO THIS POINT
  1. The Shure SRH440 has a good soundstage, even better than some open-back ones (e.g. Grado SR80i) but I'm not sure if it's the same story with the SR80e. I personally tested the 80e and it's more intimate than wide but it's really a fun and energetic listen. I can't test the 440 but some say that the sound signature is more akin to a Grado so it should be as fun and energetic. Other reviews seem to confirm this. Plus the benefit of being a closed-back for isolation. I'm actually rooting for this one.
  2. The Grado SR80e is one of the best budget options out there, and according to some, it can be competitive with some $200 or more headphones. The Wirecutter review even pegged it just below the Hifiman HE400s saying it captures much of its natural and spacious sound quality. I'm assuming that could be the case. But being open-back, it's my 1st runner-up. If I can avoid an open option, I'd go for a closed back with a comparable soundstage (like the 440 above).
  3. I have an idea how the DT880 sounds like. I briefly tested it from a local store. It sounds different in the sense that it sounds very deep and clean and I also had the chance to listen to test tracks via Sonic Sense. It's a dark horse in the sense that it's semi open so it might be able to provide the best of both worlds (natural spacious sound + some isolation) BUT it may not be as fun and energetic as my other options. 
  4. The SRH940 is brighter than the 840 but more akin to the HD800. Being compared to the legendary 800, that says a lot but I'm not sure if I want to pay that much for a closed back option. If the soundstage and detail retrieval is as good as they say though, I might reconsider. Some say that its sound signature is also similar to the 440 (bright, fun, energetic) but I'm not sure if it's really a few hundred dollars better. 
  5. And finally, Hifiman HE-400s. God, the reviews sound like this could be my audio Nirvana! But again, it's priced more than 3x than the SRH440 here in my country (Philippines) and I'm worried how much returns have diminished coming from the 440 going to the HE-400s. It may not be worth it (Or is it?). 

Again, I need your recommendations. If you can limit your comments within my listed options, that would be helpful. I don't want to be more confused than before. :)

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 18
When you plug the E11K into the FiiO X1 jack, do you set the X1 for line-output and not headphone output, for feeding the best signal to the E11K?

The E11K can drive 600-Ohm Beyer headphones, my older model E11 could decently (near max volume setting) drive my 600-Ohm Beyer headphones and the E11K is more powerful.
My two cents is you really want something more powerful, then the E11K, for driving 600-Ohm headphones.

You might check out the 32-Ohm Soundmagic HP200 headphones, much easier for the E11K to drive.
Or even plug the HP200 directly into the X1.

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 18
Thanks! I did try the direct line out but it doesn't allow the use of the EQ (I preferred tweaking it to my liking). You are correct, it is more powerful. But until you told me that the E11k can power 600ohm headphones, I was in the impression that it may not be enough since if I remember it right, the manual says up to 300ohms. Thanks for confirming! Anyway, would you have word on which one should I go for? I'm kind of a best-value guy. The more I get with the least cost, that works best for me. BUT I'm willing to listen to your recommendations. Let's just say I'm a little bit starstruck right now. You happen to be in a lot of the reviews I read here so there you go. I'm excited to hear what you have to say with regards to my options. :)

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 18
  Thanks! I did try the direct line out but it doesn't allow the use of the EQ (I preferred tweaking it to my liking). You are correct, it is more powerful. But until you told me that the E11k can power 600ohm headphones, I was in the impression that it may not be enough since if I remember it right, the manual says up to 300ohms. Thanks for confirming! Anyway, would you have word on which one should I go for? I'm kind of a best-value guy. The more I get with the least cost, that works best for me. BUT I'm willing to listen to your recommendations. Let's just say I'm a little bit starstruck right now. You happen to be in a lot of the reviews I read here so there you go. I'm excited to hear what you have to say with regards to my options. :)

Most of the headphones your looking into are ones I have not listened to, so difficult to compare them.
The E11K manual saying for headphones up to 300-Ohm, i would assume is a safe guideline, for FiiO to recommend.

You might try reading up and asking on this thread if anyone has tried using the E11K to drive the 600-Ohm Beyers.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/429371/the-beyerdynamic-dt880-discussion-thread

You might have to set the X1 to line-output and max out the X1 volume controls, to feed a strong enough signal to the E11K, for the E11K to get good volume, with the 600-Ohm Beyers.
Or maybe sell off the E11K and get the FiiO E12.

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 18
Thanks for your suggestions and insights, PurpleAngel! I will take these into account:

1. Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohms - Will consider your suggestions for powering these when I test them. I believe the store has them.
  2. Soundmagic HP200 - Reading the reviews as we speak and they are interesting, if not impressive. And with 53mm drivers, I would assume that they won't sound thin. The RX700 has 50mm drivers and they certainly don't sound thin for their price. But as a last question, without you listening to the Hifiman HE400s, would you think it would come close to that "weighted" and "speaker-like" planar sound that most planars offer?

Thanks again!

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 18
  Thanks for your suggestions and insights, PurpleAngel! I will take these into account:

1. Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohms - Will consider your suggestions for powering these when I test them. I believe the store has them.
  2. Soundmagic HP200 - Reading the reviews as we speak and they are interesting, if not impressive. And with 53mm drivers, I would assume that they won't sound thin. The RX700 has 50mm drivers and they certainly don't sound thin for their price. But as a last question, without you listening to the Hifiman HE400s, would you think it would come close to that "weighted" and "speaker-like" planar sound that most planars offer?

Thanks again!

Not something easy to comment on, but I would think the HE400i would have the slight edge.
You might try reading up and asking on this thread, about the HE-400i and comparison to other headphones.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/698974/hifiman-he-400i-impressions-and-discussion

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 18
If the 400s sounds interesting but you're worried about value perhaps wait and look into the newly announced HE-350? It looks like it could be an excellent value option at $99.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806364/world-first-massdrop-x-hifiman-collaboration-announcement

Also the ATH-AD1000x comes to mind as an energetic and fast headphone. You may be able to get a good deal on a new pair from Japan as you live in SEA but I'm not sure.

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 18
Don't see why you would want open backs if you are going to be sitting next to a sleeping toddler. lol Unless you plan on playing lullabyes to put them to sleep while the headphones are on your head for some reason. I'd be annoyed trying to sleep with someone beside me listening to music on open backs. lol

I can definitely understand open backs while you are in another room so you can hear your child though.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 18
Don't see why you would want open backs if you are going to be sitting next to a sleeping toddler. lol Unless you plan on playing lullabyes to put them to sleep while the headphones are on your head for some reason. I'd be annoyed trying to sleep with someone beside me listening to music on open backs. lol

Once they are asleep, toddlers won't be that sensitive to sound. As long as he is not blasting it.

To the OP: Grados would certainly be worth a listen given your taste in sound. :)

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 18
Once they are asleep, toddlers won't be that sensitive to sound. As long as he is not blasting it.

That's the trick, isn't it?
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #12 of 18
That's the trick, isn't it? :wink:

Not for me. Started my son on a best of Dave Brubeck CD at 2 months whenever he was going to sleep. Then at 6 months switched him to a John Coltrane best of CD, and used that CD for background music for night time sleeping and naps all the way up until he was five years old. He's a teenager now, and to this day, songs like Cousin Mary or Blue Train played at moderate volume can help to relax him :D

Just say no to Baby Beethoven. Coltrane is the way to go!

May 17, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #13 of 18
Everyone, I apologize for the late response. I kinda ignored this thread as I did not think it would gain much traction since @PurpleAngel is the only one who replied initially. But now, I deeply appreciate all your inputs!

@k4rstar - Thanks for your input! I would agree. I asked the local reseller if they will have the HE-350 and I was assured that it's coming soon so I may need to hold off any purchase until I audition that one. The announcement/review looks very promising for the price. I may need to audition it VS the HE-400s and see if 3x-4x the price tag is worth it. :)

@LNuneek - LOL. But I don't intend to crank the volume so much. I hope that helps. You made a very good point though. With my current needs, a good closed-back is still the top choice. But let's see. If an open-back is really worth the big leap, even in price, I'd go for it.

@cel4145 - Thanks and yes, toddlers are not that sensitive to noise when fast asleep. I believe they can tolerate a certain amount of music leakage but still, I'd just put it at moderate volume. By the way, I auditioned the SR80e not too long ago and my jaw dropped when I played a P.O.D track (new metal/rap core). It is that engaging! BUT I have hesitations with the build quality and comfort. Their lightweight enough but I prefer a click adjustment to headbands. I also prefer over-ears as they don't hurt your ear lobes at all. And the earpad material may be the itchy type for long term use so there you go. Still a great option though. We'll see. :)
P.S. - Oh and John Coltrane's Blue Train album is also awesome. Check it out if you haven't done so yet. :wink:

@RRod - Yes sir, that might be the trick. :)

By the way, any of you guys own/heard the Superlux HD330? It would also be a choice and the price could be the cheapest among my other choices. Do you think it could very well compete with some open backs out there at its price? Some suggest that it can. They even say it comes close to Beyerdynamics. If it's that good, I just might put it at the top of my list. Thanks again!

May 17, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 18
Hey. I also own a JVC HA-RX700...and it sounds pretty awful to me. I've been trying to get rid of it for awhile but no one's biting. lol. I've owned around 50 headphones and heard some of the most expensive ones too, so you could say I'm a little spoiled. But...I'm posting here to say that the Koss KTXPRO1 is one of my favorite headphones of all time, and it's something you can get on top of whichever headphones you decide on, because it only costs ten or fifteen bucks. I'm listening to it right now and thinking to myself how there are so many far more expensive headphones that don't sound nearly as good as this one. It's a semi-open on-ear that barely leaks sound. With that being said, my choice for under $300 would be the Yamaha HPH-MT220. Personally, I like it more than the HD 700, HD 650, HE400i, DT 880 (all of which I have owned), and many others. Both the Koss and Yamaha have a very engaging sound signature that mostly fits your description. Hope this helps a bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back