Looking for minidisc deck
Mar 7, 2003 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, I'm looking for minidisc deck, I will use it mainly for recording. Do you guys have any suggestion? The cd-md combo thing should be good enough. Also Where can I buy them? I can't find it here in Philadelphia

Mar 7, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 13
Mar 7, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 13
gloco - Does the MXD-D5C have any digital outputs? Do any of the combo decks (CD-MD)?

Lou - Have you ever listened to the headphone-out on the MXD-40? Just curious.

-j

Mar 7, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
gloco - Does the MXD-D5C have any digital outputs? Do any of the combo decks (CD-MD)?

Lou - Have you ever listened to the headphone-out on the MXD-40? Just curious.

-j

It has an optical out, for whatever reason mine doesn't work
frown.gif

Lou, the mxd-d5c is cheaper than $300, why should he waste his money on the D40?

Mar 7, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 13
jpelg
HI: How are you? I used the headphone jack at first and also used my super mini amp with it. It has a 10 m/w out put. I found that the RCA jacks line out are much better choice to use with my meta42 and ICs. I think at electroncis.com has it for 260.00. I like simple stuff so I like the single cd player.

Mar 7, 2003 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

It has an optical out, for whatever reason mine doesn't work

Are you sure that it actually has an optical or coax out? None of the ads make reference to that particular feature, while mentioning its other outputs quite prominently. Perhaps it possibly works from the CD-side only, and Sony did not want to confuse would-be purchasers into thinking that the MD side has digital out? Does the digital-out work for the CD-side? What type of digital-out is it (coax, S/PDIF, tosLink)?

The ads also mention it comes with a portable player also. Do you have the player too? The variable pitch feature could be useful too. Does it work on both the CD and the MD sides?

Quote:

the mxd-d5c is cheaper than $300, why should he waste his money on the D40?

It seems that the D5C is no longer officially available other than thru some online sources. Sony doesn't list it on their website. Is it discontinued?

Thanks for the input too, Lou.

Mar 7, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
Are you sure that it actually has an optical or coax out? None of the ads make reference to that particular feature, while mentioning its other outputs quite prominently. Perhaps it possibly works from the CD-side only, and Sony did not want to confuse would-be purchasers into thinking that the MD side has digital out? Does the digital-out work for the CD-side? What type of digital-out is it (coax, S/PDIF, tosLink)?

The ads also mention it comes with a portable player also. Do you have the player too? The variable pitch feature could be useful too. Does it work on both the CD and the MD sides?

It seems that the D5C is no longer officially available other than thru some online sources. Sony doesn't list it on their website. Is it discontinued?

Thanks for the input too, Lou.

Hmm, good question, i went and took a look, turns out its a optical in
frown.gif

As far as i know this unit was never sold as a bundle. As for variable pitch, it only works on the MD side. It may be discontinued, funny thing is that i never actually saw this deck in a store, only online.

Mar 7, 2003 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 13
I think the MXD-D5C is ATRAC 4.5, while the MXD-40 is ATRAC R., FWIW. I wouldn't expect to hear any difference in a first generation copy, but if you're going for maximum sound quality, I think MXD-40 is the way to go.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the D5C has a keyboard input while the MXD-D40 does not. If you don't have a way to title MDs by computer (such as a netmd portable), this is a major convenience. Between the keyboard input and the 5 CD changer, I think the D5C has the greater cool gadget quotient.

I would guess that the MXD-D5C is discontinued, since it has a phased-out, though excellent, version of ATRAC.

Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2003 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
I think the MXD-D5C is ATRAC 4.5, while the MXD-40 is ATRAC R., FWIW. I wouldn't expect to hear any difference in a first generation copy, but if you're going for maximum sound quality, I think MXD-40 is the way to go.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the D5C has a keyboard input while the MXD-D40 does not. If you don't have a way to title MDs by computer (such as a netmd portable), this is a major convenience. Between the keyboard input and the 5 CD changer, I think the D5C has the greater cool gadget quotient.

I would guess that the MXD-D5C is discontinued, since it has a phased-out, though excellent, version of ATRAC.

Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wrong. The D5C records in Atrac R in SP mode. It's a MDLP unit as well. It records in Atrac 4.5 in hi speed mode.

Mar 8, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
You're right, Gloco, I'm wrong!!!! That's why I stick with words like "I think."
rolleyes.gif
I'm surprised. Yeah, I think the MXD-D5C wins hands down then.
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL, that's what i've been trying to say! LMAO. It really doesn't pay to buy a D40 since the D5C can be bought for cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back