Looking for Mid-fi “endgame” headphones
Jul 1, 2020 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Oscar53955

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and I’m hoping I can get some great recommendations from more experienced and knowledgeable members

I’m looking for some great headphones to listen to at home, casually. Hoping to spend less than $1,000 USD on just the headphones but any fantastic headphone recommendations above this range that fit my needs are welcome. Also, they can be either closed or open back.

Here are my music/sound preferences (disclaimer: I’m sort of a newbie so I may be using audiophile terms wrong, so If I contradict myself or confuse you, please let me know and I’ll clarify).

I love listening to Rap/Hip-Hop, R&B, Latin, and some Pop. I don’t listen to Classical, Opera, or any heavily instrumental music.

Bass: Quality over Quantity (should have great sub-bass extension and refrain from being too boomy and muddy)

Mids: Clear vocals (I listen to more male vocals than female vocals)

Treble: Shouldn’t be too harsh or bright-sounding

Hard to drive, easy to drive, Balanced, unbalanced, doesn’t matter. I’ll figure out which Amp and DAC I’ll need later. Headphones are top priority at the moment

The headphones that really seem to fit my taste are the Massdrop/Fostex TR-x00 Ebony. Unfortunately, there are no longer available and seems that they will never be available again. So anything that comes close to matching or even exceeding the qualities of those headphones would be great recommendations

Please let me know if any further information would allow you to make a better recommendation

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 19
Seems like Audeze LCD headphones can be good for you. They are a bit heavy but their latest headband and earpads are comfy and distributes to weight nicely.
LCD 2C great, punchy, fun headphones but a bit too dark away from neutral.
LCD 2 same as LCD 2C but have a better balance, closer to neutral and ''normal'', more detailed and resolving as well. They are $200 more but they come with expensive and good carrying case.

I'd say this is the one for you: https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-2

Did you do any research ? Any headpones in your mind ?

Jul 1, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 19
Seems like Audeze LCD headphones can be good for you. They are a bit heavy but their latest headband and earpads are comfy and distributes to weight nicely.
LCD 2C great, punchy, fun headphones but a bit too dark away from neutral.
LCD 2 same as LCD 2C but have a better balance, closer to neutral and ''normal'', more detailed and resolving as well. They are $200 more but they come with expensive and good carrying case.

I'd say this is the one for you: https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-2

Did you do any research ? Any headpones in your mind ?

Thanks for responding! Yes I have researched a lot on Youtube and other forums. I’ve also looked into Amps and DACs.
The headphones that I feel are perfect for me, at least according to the reviews I’ve heard, are the Massdrop/Fostex TR-X00 Ebony edition. I also heard great things about the original LCD-2 and Audeze in general.

Jul 1, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 19
ZMF Ori is right up your alley. It sounds like Audeze except without broken upper mids/lower treble. I owned it and the LCD-4 at the same time, heard the rest of the LCD Fazor lineup too, and I'd take the Ori over all of them any day of the week.

Jul 1, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #5 of 19
ZMF Ori is right up your alley. It sounds like Audeze except without broken upper mids/lower treble. I owned it and the LCD-4 at the same time, heard the rest of the LCD Fazor lineup too, and I'd take the Ori over all of them any day of the week.

Interesting. Thank you very much for this recommendation. Being new to the audiophile world, I've only heard reviews of the Aeolus so far with respect to ZMF. I have to research the Ori. From Audeze, the only models I've considered are the LCD-2.1 (Pre fazor I believe) and the LCD-GX for gaming(until I heard the microphone quality and mixed reviews, not to mention the price).
Would you happen to know how the Ori compares to the Fostex/Massdrop TR-x00? Haven't come across a comparison between the two. In fact, I haven't really looked into the pros and cons of planar vs dynamic. All I know is that planars are harder to drive and the sound is "fast"

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 19
Interesting. Thank you very much for this recommendation. Being new to the audiophile world, I've only heard reviews of the Aeolus so far with respect to ZMF. I have to research the Ori. From Audeze, the only models I've considered are the LCD-2.1 (Pre fazor I believe) and the LCD-GX for gaming(until I heard the microphone quality and mixed reviews, not to mention the price).
Would you happen to know how the Ori compares to the Fostex/Massdrop TR-x00? Haven't come across a comparison between the two. In fact, I haven't really looked into the pros and cons of planar vs dynamic. All I know is that planars are harder to drive and the sound is "fast"

Unfortunately I have no experience with the TR-x00, but I don't think dynamic headphones can ever get that realistic bass texture of a planar like the Ori or Audeze, and very few can get that level of sub-bass extension.

Measurements show that the sub-bass extension isn't as perfect as said planars, and it has some peaky treble, whereas the ZMF Ori doesn't really have any flaws in its frequency response so it sounds even and refined. I guess this is similar to the Fostex TH-600 reputation too, their dynamic headphones have always been wonky.

fr-th-x00.png

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 19
I'd recommend grabbing the Audeze LCD 2 Classic open and getting a set of the Vegan Pads, sadly the only place that has them [HifiHeaven I think] sells em for $150! But even with that purchase price wise both the headphone and pads should be pretty close to what your looking to spend

An the pads give you nice extension to around 25-30, an yea stock pads go a little lower, however the vegan pads give you a much more even midrange, so more realistic sounding vocals, which I feel realllly makes them worth the price!

As for a Dac/Amp the $200 Schiit Stack or JDS Labs ATOM Stack are both good,

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 19
Unfortunately I have no experience with the TR-x00, but I don't think dynamic headphones can ever get that realistic bass texture of a planar like the Ori or Audeze, and very few can get that level of sub-bass extension.

Measurements show that the sub-bass extension isn't as perfect as said planars, and it has some peaky treble, whereas the ZMF Ori doesn't really have any flaws in its frequency response so it sounds even and refined. I guess this is similar to the Fostex TH-600 reputation too, their dynamic headphones have always been wonky.

fr-th-x00.png

Thank you for clarifying this matter, especially with the measurement plot. i guess it’s no wonder that planars are typically more expensive and harder to drive.

The TR-X00 had so many good reviews, I was getting pretty bummed out that I missed out on them and have been searching on eBay. But now I’ll probably go for some planars :smile:

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 19
I'd recommend grabbing the Audeze LCD 2 Classic open and getting a set of the Vegan Pads, sadly the only place that has them [HifiHeaven I think] sells em for $150! But even with that purchase price wise both the headphone and pads should be pretty close to what your looking to spend

An the pads give you nice extension to around 25-30, an yea stock pads go a little lower, however the vegan pads give you a much more even midrange, so more realistic sounding vocals, which I feel realllly makes them worth the price!

As for a Dac/Amp the $200 Schiit Stack or JDS Labs ATOM Stack are both good,

That’s right, experimenting with different pads is another thing I must look into. Thank you for the advice.

Also regarding the DAC/Amp combo, I heard the Schiit stack alters the sound a bit more than the Atom stack. Can you confirm? I’m looking for a warmer sound coming through my Amp and have also been recommended the Liquid Spark amp, as well as the Schiit Asgard 3 for more power to better drive planars and 600 ohm Beyers, just in case need the extra power down the road

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #10 of 19
I've found the Emu Teak to outperform the fostex ebony (although I did like the ebony). If you like them you should be able to order from Emu. As other people have suggested I'd also look at the LCD2 classic, or ZMF ori or aelous (depending on if you want open or closed back). The zmf will get close to your max budget.

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 19
That’s right, experimenting with different pads is another thing I must look into. Thank you for the advice.

Also regarding the DAC/Amp combo, I heard the Schiit stack alters the sound a bit more than the Atom stack. Can you confirm? I’m looking for a warmer sound coming through my Amp and have also been recommended the Liquid Spark amp, as well as the Schiit Asgard 3 for more power to better drive planars and 600 ohm Beyers, just in case need the extra power down the road

I'd skip the Liquid Spark, as for the Asgard 3 I've heard nothing but good things about it, the Modi 3 I have tho and it's certainly on the "warmer" side

If Asgard 3 is in your budget along with the $1000 cans and like a Modi 3 I'd say go for it!

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #12 of 19
I'd say go for the LCD 2 (latest fazor one) instead of 2C. You get better headphone and ridiculously good carrying case for additional $200.

Dac amp i think Modi 3 and Magni 3+ or Heresy or Asgard 3 all will do. Heresy is the ''neutral'' one, Magni and Asgard ''warmer'' but i think neutral one should do better with Audeze headphones. Asgard have a bit more power and better build but it gets hot and 2x the price. Apart from these Topping E30 is an exceptional dac. Modius is great as well. If you don't mind the mismatched look best combo is Topping E30 and Heresy but imo aesthetics important as well.

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #13 of 19
I'd say go for the LCD 2 (latest fazor one) instead of 2C. You get better headphone and ridiculously good carrying case for additional $200.

Dac amp i think Modi 3 and Magni 3+ or Heresy or Asgard 3 all will do. Heresy is the ''neutral'' one, Magni and Asgard ''warmer'' but i think neutral one should do better with Audeze headphones. Asgard have a bit more power and better build but it gets hot and 2x the price. Apart from these Topping E30 is an exceptional dac. Modius is great as well. If you don't mind the mismatched look best combo is Topping E30 and Heresy but imo aesthetics important as well.

Ok, thank you for your advice. If I can get away with the schiit stack or topping/heresy combo then I’ll probably go with that rather than the Asgard. I was under the impression that planars like the Audezes and Hifimans needed a lot more than 1 watt @ 32 ohms

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #15 of 19
Ok, thank you for your advice. If I can get away with the schiit stack or topping/heresy combo then I’ll probably go with that rather than the Asgard. I was under the impression that planars like the Audezes and Hifimans needed a lot more than 1 watt @ 32 ohms
Audeze recommends 1W+ power for their headphones. It's not required but recommended. All those amps have enough power. Magni 3+ and Heresy 33ohm:2.5W Asgard 3 33ohm:3.5W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back