Looking for lightweight headphones with excellent, sharp imaging.
Nov 15, 2020 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

trix3072

Head-Fier
I've used the LCD-2 before, but it was wayyy to heavy, and I decided to get a new one soon. I've looked for the Hd800s, but I decided to skip it because it didn't have sharp, sleek imaging, which is critical to me since I'm both an audiophile and a FPS gamer. And I've found ADX5000, but some reviews were critical towards it because of its narrow spacial audio. So, I'm seeking for some advice for choosing headphones. Can I get some recommendations?
p.s. I'm currently having a THX 789 as an AMP, and a G6 as a DAC. Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 17
I've heard time and again that the HD800/s are actually preferred by many pro gamers specifically because they image so well. How did you get the impression they don't? Not saying they're the solution here, just wondering where the idea came from.

Nov 15, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 17
Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 17
I've used the LCD-2 before, but it was wayyy to heavy, and I decided to get a new one soon. I've looked for the Hd800s, but I decided to skip it because it didn't have sharp, sleek imaging, which is critical to me since I'm both an audiophile and a FPS gamer. And I've found ADX5000, but some reviews were critical towards it because of its narrow spacial audio. So, I'm seeking for some advice for choosing headphones. Can I get some recommendations?

Did you actually hear the HD-800S? I tested them with my Chord Hugo 2 and the imaging was sensational and soundstage was huge.
In my experience imaging and to a lesser extent also soundstage size depends at least as much on the source as on the headphone.

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 17
STAX SR-L700 or SR-L300 Limiteds (modded with L700 pads and headband) if you want a spacious 3D sound yet absolutely laser focused, infinitely precise imaging... the extradordinary separation and detail presentation they have doesn't hurt either. They are quite an experience to game with...

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 17

If the HD800S isn't enough the HD800 isn't that much better. Maybe the K701. All these have wider and deeper soundstage than the LCD-2, but not much can be done about imaging to your rear past what some audio processors can add to these (still not as good as having 7.1 speakers).

But then again if it's about making sure it's better than the HD800 then your best bet is the K1000. If you need anything better than that, you'll really have to go with even a cheap Logitech 5.1.

Nov 24, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #8 of 17
STAX SR-L700 or SR-L300 Limiteds (modded with L700 pads and headband) if you want a spacious 3D sound yet absolutely laser focused, infinitely precise imaging... the extradordinary separation and detail presentation they have doesn't hurt either. They are quite an experience to game with...
I see they're amazing, but I think it's too heavy... What do you think about the Ether 2? I heard some good things about it. Or the AD2000X

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #10 of 17
If the HD800S isn't enough the HD800 isn't that much better. Maybe the K701. All these have wider and deeper soundstage than the LCD-2, but not much can be done about imaging to your rear past what some audio processors can add to these (still not as good as having 7.1 speakers).

But then again if it's about making sure it's better than the HD800 then your best bet is the K1000. If you need anything better than that, you'll really have to go with even a cheap Logitech 5.1.
Why do you think the Logitech's 5.1 has better imaging than those headphones over 1000 bucks? Is there a 'magic' in such gaming
headsets? I've even saw one guy saying that the GSP 600 had better positioning audio than the HD660S....

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #11 of 17
I've heard time and again that the HD800/s are actually preferred by many pro gamers specifically because they image so well. How did you get the impression they don't? Not saying they're the solution here, just wondering where the idea came from.
I think that the Hd800s's soundstage was too widespread for me...Then could the T1 be the best choice?

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #12 of 17
More soundstage for 800s?

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 17
I have HE1000v1 and imaging is superb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back