Looking for "keeper" headphone amp
Nov 15, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #16 of 37
@ProtegeManiac

Only IEMs i am using are https://www.amazon.com/1MORE-Headphones-Earphones-Compatible-Microphone/dp/B01A7G35S0 but i dont think i would be starting to use IEMs on computer. I dont know where did you pick that work thing but i still only use this at home. I usually start dac/amp same time as computer and soon as computer have started start to watch/listening something. Usually i dont even use computer over hour before having to leave so long warming time does not sound very good.

There is 150€ diffrence between element and Jotenheim. Hard to decide between these. Hopefully either get some black friday sale. Jotenheim biggest question marks are volume balance and errors in sound. Also unsigned drivers is issue? With Element those problems are not around. I checked out headphones and all i have seen are 6.3mm so Element should be fine for me. Jotenheim is usually speaked as "end game" device which i would like to find so in future when i buy headphones i dont need to think about dac/amp. I just know it will work fine.

I've never had an issue where the Jot needed to warm up before sounding good, it sounds fine to me right away!

Good to know. I sent schiit message asking about that same as asking about volume knob and its balance.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #17 of 37
@ProtegeManiac

Only IEMs i am using are https://www.amazon.com/1MORE-Headphones-Earphones-Compatible-Microphone/dp/B01A7G35S0 but i dont think i would be starting to use IEMs on computer. I dont know where did you pick that work thing but i still only use this at home. I usually start dac/amp same time as computer and soon as computer have started start to watch/listening something. Usually i dont even use computer over hour before having to leave so long warming time does not sound very good.

There is 150€ diffrence between element and Jotenheim. Hard to decide between these. Hopefully either get some black friday sale. Jotenheim biggest question marks are volume balance and errors in sound. Also unsigned drivers is issue? With Element those problems are not around. I checked out headphones and all i have seen are 6.3mm so Element should be fine for me. Jotenheim is usually speaked as "end game" device which i would like to find so in future when i buy headphones i dont need to think about dac/amp. I just know it will work fine.

Good to know. I sent schiit message asking about that same as asking about volume knob and its balance.
The Jot has very good channel balance in my experience. I haven't tried low impedance IEMs though. I've used the Momentum 2, Sony MDR 1A, HD598, HD650, HD700, HD800, HD800S, Audeze LCD2, ZMF Atticus & Eikon, and none of them had Channel balance issues with the Jotunheim. The knob is the best I've felt also. Large and very very smooth. It's an amazing combo unit

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #18 of 37
I'll put it this way. The Jotunheim is more endgame than the Element. It's more versatile and is somewhat modular with the DAC and Phono chips. You can buy the Jot and have a greater feeling of not wanting to upgrade, compared to the Element.

Nov 15, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #19 of 37
@ProtegeManiac

Only IEMs i am using are https://www.amazon.com/1MORE-Headphones-Earphones-Compatible-Microphone/dp/B01A7G35S0 but i dont think i would be starting to use IEMs on computer. I dont know where did you pick that work thing but i still only use this at home.

I must have been mixing up threads already and putting together details in another with this one, sorry.

Still, as much as I prefer a compact chassis, I'm back on the LED...if your concern is you seeing it while using the system in the dark or low light you can't just tape over that ring unlike how you can easily put a square bit of gaffer's tape on anything else with a more conventional LED bulb on the front panel.

Leave it powered on then. Too frequent on-off cycles (ie several times in a day) will be harsher on the components than being left on, provided the ambient temp in the room is relatively low. I don't do it here because it can hit 42C indoors during the dry season, and I use Class A amps that heat up like hell.

[QUOTE="Matsku12, post: 13852156, member: 462049"][USER=137442]There is 150€ diffrence between element and Jotenheim. Hard to decide between these. Hopefully either get some black friday sale. Jotenheim biggest question marks are volume balance and errors in sound. Also unsigned drivers is issue? With Element those problems are not around. I checked out headphones and all i have seen are 6.3mm so Element should be fine for me. Jotenheim is usually speaked as "end game" device which i would like to find so in future when i buy headphones i dont need to think about dac/amp. I just know it will work fine.
[/QUOTE]

One other thing about the Jotunheim - to fully utilize all its output power you need to use balanced wiring on the headphones. If you ever buy one that doesn't have dual side entry, even with a removable cable on one cup, you'll have to do extensive modding instead of just swapping out the cable.
[/user]

Nov 16, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #20 of 37
@cossix @ProtegeManiac

Schiit answered to my email and suggested Modi 2 Uber / Magni 3 combo, because i dont use speakers. I have started to wondering should i postpone buying this to future until i buy next headphones or try to find used one. Propably before that happens Schiit have released something new. I sent message to JDS and asked is it possible to get Element without led. If they does and espesially if some black friday sale comes i will order it. If they dont sell without led and sale wont come i will try to find something used. Element should be what i need and best looking device there is around. Biggest reason of change is my current Maverick audio Buzzing.

EDIT: JDS Labs answered my mail too:
"No problem! Yes, we can disable the LEDs for you. Please mention your special request in the Order Notes field during checkout. Yes, Black Friday special will be announced on or just before Nov 23."

So propably i am going to order Element. Then maybe someday when upgrading my equipment and if this aint enough i can order Jotunheim 2 which have been propably released :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #21 of 37
What about a Ray Samuels "Intruder"?

Sounds like it may fit the bill. Digital, SE and Balanced Inputs, SE and Balanced outputs. Analogue volume knob, just a single small red LED indicating power on status. I get about 10hours out of the battery when driving my Hifiman HE-400.

My only complaints are that it can't charge from USB (needs it's dedicated wall charger), it gets some GSM buzz when using it paired with my phone unless I turn 3G/4G off, and the Kobiconn balanced connectors aren't very common, so you'll need custom cables if you want to run it in balanced mode.

Nov 19, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #23 of 37
What about a Ray Samuels "Intruder"?

Sounds like it may fit the bill. Digital, SE and Balanced Inputs, SE and Balanced outputs. Analogue volume knob, just a single small red LED indicating power on status. I get about 10hours out of the battery when driving my Hifiman HE-400.

My only complaints are that it can't charge from USB (needs it's dedicated wall charger), it gets some GSM buzz when using it paired with my phone unless I turn 3G/4G off, and the Kobiconn balanced connectors aren't very common, so you'll need custom cables if you want to run it in balanced mode.

That does not sound very good. Also very expensive.

I am still wondering between Jotunheim and Element. Jotunheim biggest problems are that it cannot be ordered in black because its allways ended. If miracle happens and it goes black friday sale and its avaible in black color i will propably purchase it. There is only 100€ diffrence in price between those two. Basicly even the 3 years longer warranty make that diffrence reasonable top of everything else.

Nov 19, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #25 of 37
That does not sound very good. Also very expensive.

I am still wondering between Jotunheim and Element. Jotunheim biggest problems are that it cannot be ordered in black because its allways ended. If miracle happens and it goes black friday sale and its avaible in black color i will propably purchase it. There is only 100€ diffrence in price between those two. Basicly even the 3 years longer warranty make that diffrence reasonable top of everything else.
you can forget about schiit ever having sales on their gear. they dont do it.

Nov 19, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #27 of 37
also please don't watch movies on your computer

You do realize not everybody has a detached suburban home with space for a home theater. I can tell you to please don't listen to music on headphones because both ears have to hear both speakers in-room, which is what music is recorded for.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #29 of 37
You do realize not everybody has a detached suburban home with space for a home theater. I can tell you to please don't listen to music on headphones because both ears have to hear both speakers in-room, which is what music is recorded for.

stop listening to headphones, speakers are more realistic

Before i moved I had Genelec 6010A + 5040A which i used on days and headphones on nights but after moving i started using headphones more. Some point i noticed i did not had turned speakers on for weeks so i decided to sell them. Speakers are nice if you own house where you can listen them good volumes. Nowdays i only use headphones and i am satisfied to that.

Nov 19, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #30 of 37
stop listening to headphones, speakers are more realistic
Who said I listen to music on headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back