Looking for "keeper" headphone amp
Nov 14, 2017 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Matsku12

New Head-Fier
I am looking for "best" price/quality amp for headphones which would last for years and i wouldnt need to think about changing it even my headphones would change. I dont use speakers and propably wont be using them. Because i only use headphones i will be them on my head for hours daily. Currently i am using Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm. I am using those mostly, because my house pipes keeps disturbing noise and these are good isolation ones. I dont know when it will be fixed but when it is i will buy lot better open headphones, because i love music. Maybe something near 1k€ price like HD800. I am not sure yet but i dont want to need to buy new amp when the moment comes. I use my computer on gaming, movies, music etc. Things i want from amp except good sound quality etc:

- No Leds or other disturbing lights
- Good volume knob smooth rolling etc.
- Balanced volume meaning that one ear does not play louder than another.
- Black or otherwise looking that does not draw attention
- No hissing etc. error sounds

Objective2 + ODAC have usually been recommended to me, but it cost about 300€ in Finland. JDS labs - The element i can get about 400€ and i´ve been thinking about buying it rather than odac. Only bad thing in it is the led but i think it can be taped over. Otherwise it should be all i am looking for. Does anybody know how much does it suck power from usb? I am thinking connecting it to my usb hub so i would like to know.

I asked reddit about these and someone suggested me Audio GD nfb11 so i decided to ask here, because its very confusing when all people suggest me diffrent models. I trust that here are all the professionals. Currently i am using Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 Plus Edition which keeps error in sound, because of tube.

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 37
I am looking for "best" price/quality amp for headphones which would last for years and i wouldnt need to think about changing it even my headphones would change. I dont use speakers and propably wont be using them. Because i only use headphones i will be them on my head for hours daily. Currently i am using Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm. I am using those mostly, because my house pipes keeps disturbing noise and these are good isolation ones. I dont know when it will be fixed but when it is i will buy lot better open headphones, because i love music. Maybe something near 1k€ price like HD800. I am not sure yet but i dont want to need to buy new amp when the moment comes. I use my computer on gaming, movies, music etc. Things i want from amp except good sound quality etc:

- No Leds or other disturbing lights
- Good volume knob smooth rolling etc.
- Balanced volume meaning that one ear does not play louder than another.
- Black or otherwise looking that does not draw attention
- No hissing etc. error sounds

Objective2 + ODAC have usually been recommended to me, but it cost about 300€ in Finland. JDS labs - The element i can get about 400€ and i´ve been thinking about buying it rather than odac. Only bad thing in it is the led but i think it can be taped over. Otherwise it should be all i am looking for. Does anybody know how much does it suck power from usb? I am thinking connecting it to my usb hub so i would like to know.

I asked reddit about these and someone suggested me Audio GD nfb11 so i decided to ask here, because its very confusing when all people suggest me diffrent models. I trust that here are all the professionals. Currently i am using Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 Plus Edition which keeps error in sound, because of tube.

Save up a bit more and get the Meier Classic (with the DACcord). It's basically a similar tone to the O2 except it doesn't get as harsh when pushed, equally low noise performance, and it has a digital volume potentiometer with an analogue control knob, basically giving it even output (they used to have amps with really low low gain settings to get around this even on the Alps Blue) but you don't have to deal with slow response on button controls.

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 37
Save up a bit more and get the Meier Classic (with the DACcord). It's basically a similar tone to the O2 except it doesn't get as harsh when pushed, equally low noise performance, and it has a digital volume potentiometer with an analogue control knob, basically giving it even output (they used to have amps with really low low gain settings to get around this even on the Alps Blue) but you don't have to deal with slow response on button controls.

"Money aint problem" meaning i can afford these but its more like i dont want to pay for "nothing". That sounds like kind of perfect but i dont know how i could connect that to my PC. I havent ever seen PC with RCA connector or should i use USB to rca cable or such? Until this point i have allways used toslink but its seems motherboards are dropping them out. I also did not understand what do you mean with DACcord?

Nov 14, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 37
"Money aint problem" meaning i can afford these but its more like i dont want to pay for "nothing".

You're not paying for "nothing," you're paying for what you asked for in your list up there and I discussed conformity with each of them.

That sounds like kind of perfect but i dont know how i could connect that to my PC. I havent ever seen PC with RCA connector or should i use USB to rca cable or such? Until this point i have allways used toslink but its seems motherboards are dropping them out. I also did not understand what do you mean with DACcord?

PC >>USB or toslink>> DACcord >>RCA>> Classic

Nov 14, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 37
@ProtegeManiac

1250€ for that setup is just very much. Three times what JDS element cost. Also one thing that does not fulfill is the does not draw attention. Its hard to imagine two that size of boxes on desk without it disturbing me when i am using computer also lot of tape required to tape every led based on photos i saw on google. Analogue control knob is also on JDS.

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 37
also lot of tape required to tape every led
Try a black sharpie or similar. I had an hdmi splitter that had small suns for led lights! Very offputting when watching tv. It looked stupid with tape on the front but dots from a sharpie provided sufficient darkening. If you really want 0 light, a dab of black silicon sealent shaved flush with a razor blade would probs do the trick esp if leds are recessed.

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 37
Try a black sharpie or similar. I had an hdmi splitter that had small suns for led lights! Very offputting when watching tv. It looked stupid with tape on the front but dots from a sharpie provided sufficient darkening. If you really want 0 light, a dab of black silicon sealent shaved flush with a razor blade would probs do the trick esp if leds are recessed.

That wasnt the only problem with the that setup so other suggestions are also needed.

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 37
What about the Jotunheim? Very versatile and will drive IEMs to 600 ohm beyers

Nov 14, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 37
1250€ for that setup is just very much. Three times what JDS element cost.

Well the thing is you asked for a keeper amp, which basically means "will drive practically anything that isn't an electrostat," and more to the point, added that "money ain't a problem."

I'm not saying the Element is not a good amp either though. Only that if you're going to go a lot of clean power with good control the Classic is the way to go. For a lot less than that you can get amps with even more power that doesn't pile on that much more distortion nor noise, but their volume tracking isn't as good if you plug in some IEMs.

Also one thing that does not fulfill is the does not draw attention. Its hard to imagine two that size of boxes on desk without it disturbing me when i am using computer also lot of tape required to tape every led based on photos i saw on google.

Well I thought your dislike for LEDs was due to them being distracting especially in a dark room. That said, a black faceplate with regular LED bulbs won't look too obviously ugly with gaffer's tape over the LED's than the ring the Element's LED shines through. That seems subtle enough with lights on but also will make it easy for you to forget it's running when you rush out, and then if your concern is anybody else being aware that you have it there, anybody working late (or the night watchman/janitor) will certainly see that LED on it when the lights are off.

Might as well get the O2-ODAC. It's tiny and you can easily tape over the LED bulb. Even if you forget to power it down it's not going to shine in a dark room like the Element.

Analogue control knob is also on JDS.

Nearly everything has an analogue knob and the potentiometer behind it is also analogue. I mentioned the Meier volume control because the potentiometer itself is digital, then they just put in the analogue control knob as it is more responsive than buttons. It's likely the Element has a similar design though.

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 37
What about the Jotunheim? Very versatile and will drive IEMs to 600 ohm beyers

I need to check that out. Schiit is otherwise very good but seems that their build quality is not based on reviews i have saw on reddit. Some are fine and some have buttons not middle or otherwise off.

@ProtegeManiac
"The money aint problem" was kind of true but the budget i would be happy with would be around 500€. I wouldnt mind spending less thought. Distracting on that setup i ment the size. Two that sized device top of each others would be very much. My maverick audio dac looks very big in my desk. But i dont like leds either. Even i play with lights on the leds disturbs because usually they are way too bright. Brighter than anything else.

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #11 of 37
I need to check that out. Schiit is otherwise very good but seems that their build quality is not based on reviews i have saw on reddit. Some are fine and some have buttons not middle or otherwise off.

@ProtegeManiac
"The money aint problem" was kind of true but the budget i would be happy with would be around 500€. I wouldnt mind spending less thought. Distracting on that setup i ment the size. Two that sized device top of each others would be very much. My maverick audio dac looks very big in my desk. But i dont like leds either. Even i play with lights on the leds disturbs because usually they are way too bright. Brighter than anything else.
Schiit products have classy white led on the front as opposed to the annoying colored leds that other products use

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 37
@ProtegeManiac"The money aint problem" was kind of true but the budget i would be happy with would be around 500€. I wouldnt mind spending less thought. Distracting on that setup i ment the size. Two that sized device top of each others would be very much. My maverick audio dac looks very big in my desk. But i dont like leds either. Even i play with lights on the leds disturbs because usually they are way too bright. Brighter than anything else.

There's the JDS Labs O2-ODAC in one chassis.

Also if this is mostly for your office anyway and you want something compact but powerful, and as a bonus has no LED, there's the Pangea HP101. $100 on eBay (you can keep the rest of the money now and buy something else later on for use at home). Pic below shows size reference vs the HD600 on top and a Samsung Note3 a little bit behind it. Android works with no additional drivers but Win10 needs the downloadable drivers. No variable gain switch but it's usable (though unnecessary) with my Aurisonics ASG-1.3. There's electronic noise (note that Im comparing it to my Cantate which is dead quiet) but if I was listening at the level where it's audible with no music playing I'd be deaf (it comes in at around 3:00 on the dial; 1:00 if the phone is on idle with the music player not yet launched).

8243609.jpg

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 37
Schiit products have classy white led on the front as opposed to the annoying colored leds that other products use

Thats good. Its sad how now days leds are added to all places and usually colored ones.

@ProtegeManiac

I rather buy JDS The element than O2-ODAC. O2 cost here about 300€ and Element 400€. I think the 100€ is worth it. Volume knob seems so good in Element and everything else is also bit better. This is going to my home so i want it to be good as possible same as decent looking.

I have red about Schiit Jotunheim now. I would buy it Balanced Dac so i can connect it to usb and black color. It would cost about 600€. Currently i would be using it with 6.3mm connector. I am just wondering is it worth it? I didint find any info about how balanced its left and right volume is. Also some places said something about 30min warm up time. 5 year warranty would sound sweet thought. Some complaining about hizzing and error in sound did not sound good thought.

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #14 of 37
I rather buy JDS The element than O2-ODAC. O2 cost here about 300€ and Element 400€. I think the 100€ is worth it. Volume knob seems so good in Element and everything else is also bit better. This is going to my home so i want it to be good as possible same as decent looking.

Well as long as your concern isn't the possibility of it shining in the dark if left powered on then yeah, might as well get more power on the Element than the O2.

I have red about Schiit Jotunheim now. I would buy it Balanced Dac so i can connect it to usb and black color. It would cost about 600€. Currently i would be using it with 6.3mm connector. I am just wondering is it worth it? I didint find any info about how balanced its left and right volume is. Also some places said something about 30min warm up time. 5 year warranty would sound sweet thought. Some complaining about hizzing and error in sound did not sound good though.

Well there's no other amp for the same money that has as much power and a built in DAC, much less smaller. I'm not so sure how it does with high sensitivity IEMs, but I haven't heard anybody having a problem with even the most efficient headphones. That said, I've seen a couple of posts of how the Magni2 can't run IEMs properly for that reason, so given the higher output and not drastically lower low gain setting, plus the higher voltage output of its DAC section, I wouldn't bet on it if you plan on using IEMs.

As for the warm up time, I wouldn't worry about it. You're using it at work, it's not like you sit down and have to enjoy listening right away. You could take care of other things like phone calls or making coffee after you switch it on same way I warm up my hybrid amp at home by switching it on even before I hang up my bag and take my powerbank out for charging, then washing my lunch container, cooking dinner, feed my cat, eat, shower, etc before listening.

Nov 15, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 37
Thats good. Its sad how now days leds are added to all places and usually colored ones.

@ProtegeManiac

I have red about Schiit Jotunheim now. I would buy it Balanced Dac so i can connect it to usb and black color. It would cost about 600€. Currently i would be using it with 6.3mm connector. I am just wondering is it worth it? I didint find any info about how balanced its left and right volume is. Also some places said something about 30min warm up time. 5 year warranty would sound sweet thought. Some complaining about hizzing and error in sound did not sound good thought.
I've never had an issue where the Jot needed to warm up before sounding good, it sounds fine to me right away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back