looking for instrumental post-rock stuff
Mar 13, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #17 of 27
I have to put another vote in for Buckethead, Population Override. Great stuff.

For the poster asking for jazz-ish stuff, Greg Howe's "Extraction" is very good and also features Dennis Chambers and Victor Wooten.

finally, even though it is more on the side of jazz, you should check out Vernon Reid's solo works... especially his first.

Mar 14, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by TempleOfEar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there any stuff that leans more toward jazz, idm-ish? boards of canada is totally under electronica. i'm talking something like Ratatat.

ok one song of these guys and im already in love with them. thanks, man, it's gonna be pain in the butt to find them in vinyl. lol.

A great post-rock band with heavy free jazz influences is Cerberus Shoal. Check out their album "Mr. Boy Dog".

Quote:

whys mum keep getting mentioned? dont all of their albums have vocals?

This, in most peoples' eyes, is irrelevant in the post-rock genre. I actually am more curious as to why Buckethead is under this genre, because I definitely see him more as a prog-rock shredder than anything else.

Mar 14, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #22 of 27
Masonjar, that's a pretty definitive list, hehe.

Labradford is actually more "Ambient" or "New Age" than post-rock though.
Along with that I would list Eluvium and Bark Psychosis and possibly Tristeza.

Mono (the Japanese band, not the other which I think is an English duo) is also good. And I love Trans Am!

Must Have in my opinion:

Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven - Godspeed YBE
Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada - Godspeed YBE
Happy Songs For Happy People - Mogwai
Talk Amongst The Trees - Eluvium
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place - Explosions In The Sky
TNT - Tortoise
Futureworld - Trans Am
Red Line - Trans Am

And although Radiohead isn't instrumental, I would still put them in a sub-category of post-rock based on the excellently atmospheric album "Kid A" (the follow-up Amnesiac was also pretty good, and "OK Computer is a classic!)).

Mar 18, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #24 of 27
I'm going to throw in another recommendation for Godspeed You! Black Emperor. At this point you have no choice but to have a listen based on the number of times they have been listed in this thread.

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You gotta have to check Crime In Choir, it's a really nice experimental/instrumental electronica/rock band!!!

Kinda similar to Ratatat but way better, way faster, more complex, mind blowing drums... etc.

I agree, Crime In Choir are excellent. Highly recommmended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back