looking for instrumental post-rock stuff
Mar 13, 2007 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

TempleOfEar

Banned
hey guys just like the title suggests. I like explosions in the sky, tortoise... actually thats about all the instrumental bands i know that would be found under rock section. see the thing is I just got a turntable to start my vinyl collection and i'm mainly an IDM guy. but the local record store's got a rather sparse electronica vinyl section for a store that's suppost to be world's biggest (Ameoba in LA). suckness. so anyways, can you give me some recommandations? thx.

Mar 13, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 27
Check out Buckethead. You'll find something you'll like i'm sure.
www.tdrsmusic.com

Thank me later
580smile.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 27
Red Sparowes

Mar 13, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Red Sparowes

For sure. i think "at the soundless dawn" is their best effort. Pelican is a rock'n instrumental band as well.

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #8 of 27
the biggies:
explosions in the sky
godspeed you black emporer
tortoise
mogwai
do make say think

lesser known:
65daysofstatic
the evpatoria report
labradford
tristeza
yndi halda
god is an astronaut
saxon shore
Upcdowncleftcrightcabc+start

more electronic-ish, but f'ing awesome:
sigur ros
mum
a lily
the album leaf
lullatone
moving mountains
ulrich schnauss

A word of advice, post-rock is a strange genre. A feel that post-rock is similar to jazz in that, for those unfamiliar with the genre, everything begins to sound the same. Not only that, but both genres feature quite long songs and are able to convey an enormous amount of emotion without using words (exceptions in both genres, but in general I prefer both genres without words)

Mar 13, 2007 at 10:25 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunuggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the biggies:
explosions in the sky
godspeed you black emporer
tortoise
mogwai
do make say think

lesser known:
65daysofstatic
the evpatoria report
labradford
tristeza
yndi halda
god is an astronaut
saxon shore
Upcdowncleftcrightcabc+start

more electronic-ish, but f'ing awesome:
sigur ros
mum
a lily
the album leaf
lullatone
moving mountains
ulrich schnauss

A word of advice, post-rock is a strange genre. A feel that post-rock is similar to jazz in that, for those unfamiliar with the genre, everything begins to sound the same. Not only that, but both genres feature quite long songs and are able to convey an enormous amount of emotion without using words (exceptions in both genres, but in general I prefer both genres without words)

Wow you missed Mono... for someone who likes EITS, they would definately like Mono..

for something a little older, I'd suggest Don Caballero. They were called "Math-rock" but a lot of post-rockers should get into what they did..

for something more IDM, Boards of Canada or Coil.

-jar

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 27
The Mercury Program would be well worth checking out. Sleeping People, also... and Giant Squid.

I'll also strongly second the following - Russian Circles, 65daysofstatic, Upcdowncleftcrightcabc+start, Múm, and Red Sparowes.

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 27
Another vote for Buckethead
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 27
Mar 13, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

for something a little older, I'd suggest Don Caballero. They were called "Math-rock" but a lot of post-rockers should get into what they did..

-jar

Seconded, might as well check out Slint's 'Spiderland' then, a great album too.
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 27
are there any stuff that leans more toward jazz, idm-ish? boards of canada is totally under electronica. i'm talking something like Ratatat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndbest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will mention only one band, imho it's mandatory listening for every post-rock fan because they're really great:

The Evpatoria Report:
http://http://profile.myspace.com/in...endID=38759104

ok one song of these guys and im already in love with them. thanks, man, it's gonna be pain in the butt to find them in vinyl. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back