looking for info on diy usb tube dac's
Jul 29, 2011 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kchapdaily

100+ Head-Fier
so ive done lots of searching and all ive found are lots of dead links. im looking for info on a tube dac with usb input so i can connect it to my computer and rca outputs (no coax/spdif necessary). does anyone know of a good design thats not too expensive?

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 7
what exactly do preamps do? ive read they dont have a whole lot of benefit for headphones. id be using it with a starving student if that helps. also what are some good diy tube preamps to take a look at?

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 7
Preamps boost output from a component to a suitable level for a power amp. They also have a volume control (not present on power amps or sources) and let you switch among components.

Anyhow, why do you want tubes in a DAC? You have to have a solid state device do the digital conversion. I generally keep my digital devices solid state. Tubes are only put in them for coloration. I don't want that.

I'll agree with the above. Build a good DAC, then feed it to a tubed preamp or headphone amp. You can DIY those, too. There are excellent plans for tubed preamps and headphone amps out there.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 7
since a headphone amp is a little different from a power amp, i feel like a preamp would be redundant for my millets starving student. and i wanted the tubes in the buffer stage on the dac. i just thought it would help sweeten the sound a little.

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 7
I would find a tube DAC kit that "does not suck" first. If its not USB that is a problem that is very easy to solve. USB->SPDIF converters are abundant. Good tube DAC kits, not so much. 

Quote:
since a headphone amp is a little different from a power amp, i feel like a preamp would be redundant for my millets starving student. 

Quote:
 Build a good DAC, then feed it to a tubed preamp or headphone amp. 

This. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 7
ok sounds good. ill either build the grubdac or the gamma 1 depending on the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back