Looking for IEMs with sound isolation and don't fall out easily.
Jul 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

soccerdude84

Head-Fier
I've been using GK ultraphones the past few months for electronic drumming and the isolation is great and they stay snug on my head, but after several hours they make my jaw feel weird. Basically I'm looking for an IEM equivalent, the gk's use mdr 7506 drivers so I would, if possible, like something similar or anything with a flat frequency response. Thank you.

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 4
I tried out the Shure SE215 and I didn't really like them that much:

+sound quality is excellent
+doesn't fall out
-unintuitive method of insertion, since the cable rotates it can be a pain trying to make them fit properly
-isolation is decent but weaker than the ultraphones, i found that using a smaller size foam tip had a more comfortable fit but had even worse isolation than the medium size, the rubber tips barely isolate at all
-the wire that's supposed to bend around your ear is too stiff and hard to bend
-they're prone to slight movements in your ear if you move your head around too much, this can lead to moments of poor isolation

for comparison, in a closed sound-reduced 13x10 room with the ac on i can hear the ac while wearing the se215's from the other side of the room, while wearing the ultraphones i can't hear it at all even when standing 2 inches away

still open to siggestions

Sep 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 4
I ended up trying a pair of these etymotic triple flange eartips on my shure se215: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVVE7AE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was only a slight improvement over the shure foam tips in terms of isolation, they were easier to handle since they didn't lose their shape just by touching them, but they were even more prone to being nudged and breaking the seal.

Are there better alternatives for eartips or is this pretty much as good as it gets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back