Looking for IEM's with an "Open" sound.
Apr 23, 2010 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Blood Simple

New Head-Fier
I prefer open cans with a "bright" presentation. I find most IEM's are the complete opposite of this. Having what some would say is a "warm" sound (I call it muddy), and very upfront and often overpowering base. Neither of those qualities appeal to me. So as a general rule I cant stand IEMs. But when working out or mowing the lawn, they're really aren't any alternatives. So are there any IEMs that provide good isolation and an "open" sound?

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 17
What you're describing sounds like Etymotic Research's sound to me. I would recommend the hf5, because the cable is the best out of Ety's offerings in my opinion, and individually matched drivers probably aren't what you're looking for.

They run for about $130 on amazon, and if you're looking for a lower price point, the ER6i sells for about $75. However, the ER6i are built less solidly and the cable isn't the best for my preference.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 17
Never tried them, but Etymotic ER-4p/s sounds like a good choice. They are said to have very good treble and are no way muddy and/or bassy. They also, FWIR, have 42dba of isolation, one of, if not the most isolation of any IEM (not too sure about customs though).

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 17
As far as an open sound, I would suggest you try the Fischer Audio Silver Bullet. Nice airy presentation without being overly bright.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 17
By far the best sound stage, "out of head" imaging of any IEM I've ever heard.
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 17
Westone 3, MTP Copper, MPT MD, E-Q7, IE8, IE7 and JVC FX700.

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #8 of 17
Not sure if the W3 would suit his tastes. I find my UM3X pretty warm sounding with my comply tips and the W3 are supposed to sound even less neutral and have more bass.

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 17
RE0. It has everything but soundstage.

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 17
I wouldn't consider Etys "open" sounding as they have a very small soundstage and are pretty much in the head.

Perhaps W2 or W3. Great isolation, great detail and pretty open sounding.

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood Simple /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer open cans with a "bright" presentation. I find most IEM's are the complete opposite of this. Having what some would say is a "warm" sound (I call it muddy), and very upfront and often overpowering base. Neither of those qualities appeal to me. So as a general rule I cant stand IEMs. But when working out or mowing the lawn, they're really aren't any alternatives. So are there any IEMs that provide good isolation and an "open" sound?

Sounds like the Etymotic ER4P

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood Simple /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The best I've heard that fit your bill would be the Audio Technicas, CK10 or CK100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back