Looking for IEMs similar to AKG K-81DJ
May 4, 2013 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rotane

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

Long time reader, first time poster. So let me begin by saying thanks to all of you on this forum for all the advice and interesting topics.

Now, on topic. My current phones are a pair of full-sized AKG K-81DJ, and i love them. However, since they are too warm to wear around outside (now that it's getting summer), i'm looking for something smaller. I do have some experience with IEMs, starting with entry-level Senns CX-300 and Creative EP-630, from many years ago.

My latest purchase was a pair of Klipsch S4i, but i was not too happy with those – awesome bass and mids, but they were too much on the bright side (read, hissing and sibilance), and ultimately, no amount of EQ could fix that for me. (I may have sensitive ears, though.) I've had them for almost 2 years, used them a lot at first, baked them in, you name it; but since i got the AKGs, i've not touched the S4i again. And when i tried, i always had to quit after 10 minutes – too harsh did they sound compared to the clear and soft AKGs.

My question, obviously, are there any comparable IEMs on the market?

So you can better understand where i'm coming from: What i love about the AKGs is, well, all of it. They are quite detailed (especially for a "DJ" labelled can), rich and full, and sound "warm". Bass is tight, punchy and definitely "there", yet not muddy or tiring; mids are perhaps a tad recessed, but never muffled and i've never felt they were being sacrificed; highs are crystal clear and worlds better than those tiny IEMs of yore. And no harshness or hissing whatsoever! Again, that's the main complaint i've had with the S4i. (If all this makes any sense, i tried hard to find the right adjectives here.
wink.gif
)

Finally, my main player for on-the-go is an iPhone 4, so an inline remote would be helpful, but not required. I listen to a lot of music, different genres, but mainly electronic (IDM, trip-hop, downtempo, electro…) and orchestral/instrumental stuff like film or video game scores. I don't care too much for a 100% accurate, uncoloured representation of music, as long as it's easy on my ears. (As i said, i have somewhat sensitive ears, especially when it comes to the high end.) Pretty much my entire music library consists of lame v2 to v0 mp3s.

So there you go. Any advice is appreciated!

May 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Hello everyone!

Long time reader, first time poster. So let me begin by saying thanks to all of you on this forum for all the advice and interesting topics.

Now, on topic. My current phones are a pair of full-sized AKG K-81DJ, and i love them. However, since they are too warm to wear around outside (now that it's getting summer), i'm looking for something smaller. I do have some experience with IEMs, starting with entry-level Senns CX-300 and Creative EP-630, from many years ago.

My latest purchase was a pair of Klipsch S4i, but i was not too happy with those – awesome bass and mids, but they were too much on the bright side (read, hissing and sibilance), and ultimately, no amount of EQ could fix that for me. (I may have sensitive ears, though.) I've had them for almost 2 years, used them a lot at first, baked them in, you name it; but since i got the AKGs, i've not touched the S4i again. And when i tried, i always had to quit after 10 minutes – too harsh did they sound compared to the clear and soft AKGs.

My question, obviously, are there any comparable IEMs on the market?

So you can better understand where i'm coming from: What i love about the AKGs is, well, all of it. They are quite detailed (especially for a "DJ" labelled can), rich and full, and sound "warm". Bass is tight, punchy and definitely "there", yet not muddy or tiring; mids are perhaps a tad recessed, but never muffled and i've never felt they were being sacrificed; highs are crystal clear and worlds better than those tiny IEMs of yore. And no harshness or hissing whatsoever! Again, that's the main complaint i've had with the S4i. (If all this makes any sense, i tried hard to find the right adjectives here.
wink.gif
)

Finally, my main player for on-the-go is an iPhone 4, so an inline remote would be helpful, but not required. I listen to a lot of music, different genres, but mainly electronic (IDM, trip-hop, downtempo, electro…) and orchestral/instrumental stuff like film or video game scores. I don't care too much for a 100% accurate, uncoloured representation of music, as long as it's easy on my ears. (As i said, i have somewhat sensitive ears, especially when it comes to the high end.) Pretty much my entire music library consists of lame v2 to v0 mp3s.

So there you go. Any advice is appreciated!

First off - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-279-iems-compared-audio-technica-ckm500-added-05-01-13-p-678

Full, warm, rich, detailed, punchy and tight, non-harsh treble but still clear - I'm not sure of the budget but something like the BA200 or the more bassy and aggressive (though still smooth in the grand scheme of things) IE800 could work out. Also the RE-400s if you mind less bass, a bit of sacrifice in terms of a punchy presentation, in exchange for more texture, but still retains smoothness and a non-fatiguing nature.

May 5, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 3
Thank you, TwinQY, for your reply! I'll look into these you suggested.

As for not posting in the first thread you mentioned, i'm sorry, i must've overlooked that notice. Won't happen again. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back