Looking for IEMs for Bassheads
May 18, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #76 of 101

I can almost guarantee they aren't bassier than my 50/50's. 11mm driver > 9mm driver

As an owner of both, I can say that they both have basically the same "quantity" but the quality of the wooduo is better. Ive said this before, but i think hisound got the pricing wrong with the wooduo. With better packaging they could have charged double what they go for and no one would look twice at the price. that being said, the fact that you can get them for around 40 quid makes them a serious bargain for anyone looking for a new iem 

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #77 of 101
@ b9scrambler 
Can you tell me how the sony mdr xb50 sound? I'm seriously thinking about getting them. Also I think they look awesome. Also do you know how they compare to the xb30 or xb60.

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #78 of 101
  @ b9scrambler
Can you tell me how the sony mdr xb50 sound? I'm seriously thinking about getting them. Also I think they look awesome. Also do you know how they compare to the xb30 or xb60.

Here is my thread on them: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/717002/sony-mrd-xb50-all-of-your-basses-all-of-them

Lots of deep bass, and pretty well controlled for the amount. Mids and treble are too recessed for my taste, but they are still fairly detailed. I think they sound pretty good, but I prefer the signature of my JVCs (all of them) more as the mids and treble were not sacrificed to provide awesome bass. Bass doesn't bleed much into the rest of the spectrum considering....which is nice.

Build quality is solid, with an excellent cable (IMO), but its developed some wicked flex in the right driver. I normally could care less about driver flex, but this is really invasive. Tried to have them replaced with no luck, so if you get them watch for flex.

I haven't heard the XB30 or 60, but from what I've read the XB50 provides a very similar sound, but more refined (almost like how I describe the difference between the JVC FX1X and FX3X). Might want to snoop around the forums for more info on this topic.

I definitely think the XB50s are a decent IEM and for more will be worth the money, but I personally would go with the FX3X or even the Narmoo R1M. I just got my R1Ms yesterday, but they are pretty awesome so far and cost much less than both the 3X and XB50 (in my area). With the black buttons the bass is intense; slightly boomy but quite fun. The metallic grey tips help control the boom, but also reduce the bass a bit. Avoid the silver buttons if bass is your forte. I haven't had enough time with them yet to get a really good impression, but the R1M seem to be a solid bet "out of the box" so to speak.

Hope this helps!

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #79 of 101
@ b9scrambler thxs for your input. The jvc looks so ugly for me for some reason that I can't get them. They look too toy like for my taste.

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #80 of 101
  @ b9scrambler thxs for your input. The jvc looks so ugly for me for some reason that I can't get them. They look too toy like for my taste.

Haha....what!? You don't like the Tonka bumpers with giant X's? They're so classy and understated...
rolleyes.gif

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #81 of 101

Haha....what!? You don't like the Tonka bumpers with giant X's? They're so classy and understated...
rolleyes.gif

lol I guess I got a strange sense of taste. Can't stand the toy like shape it has to it. Kinda like the beats line.
Well if you don't mind me asking if not the mdr xb50, can you recommend any of the following iems.

soundmagic e10, phiaton ps 20, klipsch image s4, ultimate ears 600 vi, ultimate ears 500, or the audio technica ath cks55.
Made a thread about it but nobody is answering 
frown.gif

I want something that has great sub bass clear mids and a non deafening high. The only really "expensive" iem i had was the meeletronic sp51 which was ok but a bit muddy. The ath cks55 looks nice but im worried about the cord, seems very thin. For some reason most of my iem tend to break easily so I usually buy 10 dollar pairs.

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #82 of 101
No worries. I was being sarcastic. The entire JVC XX line up is immature looking.

I can't really comment on any of the options you listed. Pretty much everything I've owned is below.

I can say that I tried the Klipsche S3, which is my most hated IEM. The cable was the worst part. Noisy, easily tangled, thin and cheap. The sound was not far behind. Little bass, shrill highs...can remember the mids. If the S4 are anything like them I recommend steering well clear.

Regarding the UE lineup...from what I've read the 600s are nice. If they are anything like the 100, 4000, or 6000, they should have a warm sound with decent mid and sub bass, slightly rolled off treble, and fairly forward but not aggressive mids. I've wanted to pick up some 600s for a while but always miss them on sale.

If you snoop around the site, you should be able to get a good impression of the other options you listed. There is lots of feedback from others MUCH more knowledgeable than I am. :p

Also....I think the XB50s are a good phone, they're just not for me. I like more aggressive mids and highs, which they do not deliver. They are just too smooth...

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #83 of 101
Don't have personal experience with any of these, but I would steer clear of the S4 and the UE 600. The S4, from what I've heard, is very similar-sounding to the S3 that I have. They are thin, cold, and harsh in their sound. Build was respectable though. If you want Klipsch, I've seen some good talk on these forums about the R6. It seems that they have improved on the sound dramatically, reducing sibilance and making them fuller all around. They are on my list to check out in the future.

The UE 600 is a single armature based headphone. They have a good sound from what I read, but not much bass response. Great mids and smooth highs, but sub-bass response is typical of single armatures. Very good for vocals, but pretty mid-focused/neutral. The UE 500 is probably more your cup of tea in the Ultimate Ears lineup. More bass, crisper highs (but AFAIK not sibilant).

And if you're looking at the Soundmagic E10, skip it and go for the Philips SHE3590. Give it a bass boost to your liking in the EQ and you are at your desired sound. They cost less than $15 without a mic and less than $20 with. I would look and gamble on those, see how you like them, and go from there. I'm listening to them right now through my iPod Nano 5G and love them for almost any genre. Not that the E10 is bad, it's actually pretty well-received for a budget dynamic set. The Philips are widely available (I bought mine at Target, also at CVS) and cheaper, though. I love their sound and will probably pick up a remote pair whenever my Sol Republic Jax bite the dust.

Happy hunting!

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #84 of 101
And if you're looking at the Soundmagic E10, skip it and go for the Philips SHE3590. Give it a bass boost to your liking in the EQ and you are at your desired sound. They cost less than $15 without a mic and less than $20 with. I would look and gamble on those, see how you like them, and go from there. I'm listening to them right now through my iPod Nano 5G and love them for almost any genre. Not that the E10 is bad, it's actually pretty well-received for a budget dynamic set. The Philips are widely available (I bought mine at Target, also at CVS) and cheaper, though. I love their sound and will probably pick up a remote pair whenever my Sol Republic Jax bite the dust.

Happy hunting!

Those Phillips have quite the loyal following :D I've been looking to pick them up, but can only ever find them in baby blue...not my cup of tea, lol.

I still wouldn't rule out the NarMoo R1M, as they are pretty awesome. Have had no desire to go back to the 3X since they arrived. Plus, the case they come with is worth the price alone (its awesome). They are also built like a tank...puts the XB50, SHE...well, any IEM I've ever held in my hands, to shame.

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #85 of 101
I just started thread about Motörheadphones Trigger. Imo those blew out jvc cheapo lineup and they cost only 19,90 euros, seen 11£ in amazon. They only have 8,5mm drivers, but bass have more impact than any of those jvc's. It tickles my shoulders. Jvc's only head :D
Can describe only with words like someone is hammering back of my head. Sometimes too much bass for me.

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #87 of 101
I just started thread about Motörheadphones Trigger. Imo those blew out jvc cheapo lineup and they cost only 19,90 euros, seen 11£ in amazon. They only have 8,5mm drivers, but bass have more impact than any of those jvc's. It tickles my shoulders. Jvc's only head
biggrin.gif

Can describe only with words like someone is hammering back of my head. Sometimes too much bass for me.

While they do look pretty badass, those little 'bastards' (straight from the website!) lack the frequency response of the 3X. I may have to pick up a pair to see how they compare with what I think is the bear's hair....I'll stop now.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #89 of 101
While they do look pretty badass, those little 'bastards' (straight from the website!) lack the frequency response of the 3X. I may have to pick up a pair to see how they compare with what I think is the bear's hair....I'll stop now.

Just woke up and doing side by side comparison with fx3x using Anggun song Rose in the wind. Jvc's soundstage is clear, but distant. Bass is tight but still lacks force of impact. When I throw bastards to my ears, soundstage changes to rich, colourful and bass is more vivid than fx3x unimaginary bass sound. But the force of impact is also there. These are not still perfect for my taste, because that bass now hides guitars in some songs and settings, but I bet that this price these will satisfy bass lover, even it goes just 20hz. But I remember at old days when I had 10" subwoofer in my car trunk, and it lowest freq promised to be 15hz. My friend had 4x8" subwoofers in his car trunk, but their lowest freq were 25hz. Anyway, his 8 inch subs beated my sub hands down in pure sound pressure and that is what matters much when you want feel music, just not hear it.

Edit: seems like I cannot get good seal with these jvc's even with smallest tip. I push them far as I can without pain, but still they leak outside world sound more than bastards. This may affect my experiences... :)

Jun 7, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #90 of 101
Yea the size of the driver usually does give you more bass but not always. It depends on many factors one such as the housing of the driver. With a bad enclosure the bass will sound terrible.
Think im gonna stick to buying the xb50 but gonna wait a bit to see if the price will go down to 30. ath cks55 looks so nice but im afraid of the cord breaking on me. They seem a bit flimsy to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back