looking for IEM
Dec 15, 2005 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

slidemasterx

New Head-Fier
Hi I’m a newbie here and this my first post. I’m looking for an IEM for my Iriver H320. I can’t afford the SF5 pro or UM2 so I’m looking for a cheaper one like the ER6i, Super-fi 3Pro or the Westone UM1.

I listen to a lot of jazz so bass is really important. I’m used to flange because I wear ER-20 earplugs when I’m walking on the sidewalk or performing. I also have ER-15 custom musician’s earplugs… I read that the ER6 can fit into my custom earplugs if you put an adaptor. Can the sf3 pro and the UM1 do this?

I’m planning to use them with my ER-15 molds only when I want to listen for long periods. But for other purposes, I can use the supplied flange. If the sf3 or um1 cant fit in the ER-15, it’s not a big deal.

I’m not using an amp and am not planning to buy one at the moment. Which one of these three would be the best for my situation? Which has better sound for jazz, comfort and isolation?

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks

AL

Dec 15, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 16
ER-6i if you want the extra bass, over the ER-6. The bass is not that prominent, but listening to jazz with kick-ass bass solos on the ER-6is are amazing. I think with the ER-6is, you can also get the adapter for custom molds too.

Dec 15, 2005 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 16
I read that the ER6/ER6i is a little high on treble. Won't this give more fatigue when listening to trumpets etc?

Disregard what I said about using the adaptor to attach the ER-6 to custom molds. I think removing the attenuator from the Er-15 takes a lot of time so it doesn't matter if I buy a IEM that attaches to a custom mold.

Right now I'm leaning towards the UM1 because it doesn't stick out and can be good for sleeping while travelling.

Some say that it's treble is not so good. Maybe it would be good for me bacause I listen to a lot of Brass. Is it really that bad?
confused.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by slidemasterx
I read that the ER6/ER6i is a little high on treble. Won't this give more fatigue when listening to trumpets etc?

Disregard what I said about using the adaptor to attach the ER-6 to custom molds. I think removing the attenuator from the Er-15 takes a lot of time so it doesn't matter if I buy a IEM that attaches to a custom mold.

Right now I'm leaning towards the UM1 because it doesn't stick out and can be good for sleeping while travelling.

Some say that it's treble is not so good. Maybe it would be good for me bacause I listen to a lot of Brass. Is it really that bad?
confused.gif

No, it's not that bad. You mentioned fatigue, and UM-1's are not fatiguing IMHO. They might sound a little rolled off at the very top, because they are, but I think they are very natural and uncolored sounding from about 60-13k, where 99% of the music is. I listen to rock, jazz and classical, and I like my UM-1's more every day. I think they have great slam in the bass if it's present in the recording. Same with high end detail, if it's not in the recording, you won't hear it in these IEMs, but if it is present, you will. The better the equipment I throw at them, the better they sound, so be forewarned, they might cause you to upgrade your source components.

Dec 15, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

No. The ER6i's treble is not fatiguing and have a roll off at the upper ends. Quite pleseant actually but its bass disappoints me, so i got rid of them.
eek.gif

I agree with audiomagnate's assessment of the UM1. I think they're very good. More details than the ER6i in the midrange. You need to carefully select a tip to bring the treble out. A biflange will suit most people.

Dec 15, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 16
ER-6i's are good. I don't find them fatiguing at all. High's are brilliantly detailed and a joy to listen to; Mid's are detailed and fairly rich, but I would appreciate an even fuller mid-range. Low's are also detailed and sufficient, but I'd like a little more.

All in all, a very good pair of IEM. I also recommend the ER-4P if you are willing to stretch. They have all the characteristics of the ER-6i, but everything is more detailed, recordings are reproduced more naturally and musically, more of the emotions of the artists are carried through, the amount of bass is 'round the same. One could say the ER-4P has a sound signature that is more tamed and aged (in a good way) compared to the ER-6i just like a bottle of 1983 Margaux is compared to a 2003 Margaux. They are both extremely good, the 1983 and the 2003, but the 1983 just has this extra dimension to it. Likewise, the ER-4P just has more to give than the ER-6i, but fear not, the ER-6i is undoubtedly very good.

Ofcourse, there are also the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3 Studio (not Pro) and the Shure E3 series which I have yet to try.

Dec 15, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 16
The Etymotics will isolate very, very well (if that's important), and they won't seem so intrusive if you're already used to flanges. Plus they're tiny and light, so very portable. I prefer the Shure E3C's, though, for various reasons overall, but then each person's preferences are different, and I have the Etymotics ER6's -- I wish I had known about the ER6i's at the time.

I can't comment on the i's, but Etymotics are generally known for clarity and brightness ... I find my Shures to sound more "normal" or "musical" ... to my ears, anyway. Also, it would be interesting to hear whether people recommend the Westones for your situation ...

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 16
Thanks for all your replies. I spent a couple of hours reading about the ER6i, UM1 and the SF3.

From what I’ve read, it seems like the ER6i just doesn’t provide enough bass for some people. I would like to hear good bass because I listen to a lot of jazz.

I read reviews that the SF3 sounds a little muddy. More bass than the ER6i but less than the UM1. What I don’t like about it is that it sticks out.

I’ve read good stuff about the Shure E3 series but also some bad stuff. I haven’t read a bad thing about the UM1 and I like that it doesn’t stick out as much as the others and it has good bass so I guess I’m going to go with the UM1.

I have another question about the UM1. How good is it’s isolation? How does it compare to the other brands? thanks

Dec 18, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 16
ER-6i definitely have enough bass if your source has bass. I listen to jazz: Ray Charles, Charlie Mingus, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Bill Evans, Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis, Count Basie, Paul Whiteman, Louis Armstrong, etc.. just to name a few and I guarantee you there is bass, ENOUGH bass. How strong do you want your bass? Jazz is NOT a bass dominated genre anyway. ER-6i will provide GOOD bass, not over-emphasized bass, but detailed, sufficient bass for your drum solos and double bass pizz., rich midrange for the smooth voices and trombones and sparkling highs for your saxophones, trumpets, cornets.

All in all, ER-6i are brilliant for jazz.

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 16
Since you already have ER15/20 it can be a great opportunity to try some ACS' T15: http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/m...s-monitors.htm. The price is 130GB=~230USD. However, they are built in silicone and will surpass any single driver universal IEM on the market using the acoustic advantages of ER15. From what I know they provide great bass response to boot.

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Thanks for all your replies. I spent a couple of hours reading about the ER6i, UM1 and the SF3.

From what I’ve read, it seems like the ER6i just doesn’t provide enough bass for some people. I would like to hear good bass because I listen to a lot of jazz.

I read reviews that the SF3 sounds a little muddy. More bass than the ER6i but less than the UM1. What I don’t like about it is that it sticks out.

I’ve read good stuff about the Shure E3 series but also some bad stuff. I haven’t read a bad thing about the UM1 and I like that it doesn’t stick out as much as the others and it has good bass so I guess I’m going to go with the UM1.

I have another question about the UM1. How good is it’s isolation? How does it compare to the other brands? thanks

Since you mentioned trumpet, Ive got to tell you that the UM1s do a fantastic job on trumpet recordings (DCC Jazz Salute to Bunny DJZ-624). I've heard this recording on lots of headphones and high end stereos, but I've never heard trumpets sound as real as on my Discman D11/UM1 rig. Also, they provide excellent isolation with the Complys.

Dec 21, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #14 of 16
Thanks. It seems that the ACS t15 can't be shipped here (Philippines) so I guess I'll be going with either the UM1 or ER6i. I'm afraid that if I get the ER6i, I might find the bass to be not enough and returning it would be very expensive from the Philippines $30 - 50 so I guess I'll be choosing the UM1.

I have another question about the UM1. Do the flanges and complys wear out? How long until you have to buy replacements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back