Looking for IEM with STRONG cord
Nov 21, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #17 of 25
Anyone have any luck with any kinds of products to treat cord coatings? Something to preserve and protect the rubber/plastic used in various headphone/earphone cords? (I realize usage patterns -- heat/light exposure, for example -- play a major role in cord life ... just wondering whether Armor All or something similar has ever been tried.)

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #18 of 25
Superfis.

They tangle up real nice, in part due to the over-ear loop but the cord is plenty robust although thin. I got a free replacement from UE, no questions asked, as my original set has an intermitent drop from one side.

Go replaceable if you are really concerned!

Nov 21, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #19 of 25
Westones have the strongest cords, according to the guy who sold them to me.
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #20 of 25
I dono why people are recommending the Super.fi, those cords are paper thin and I hear about more replacements than any other.

My E4C seems damn strong, I'm not sure what models you have had issues with. I think the UE-10 cables attach like the HD650 cables so they can also break away... there's a $1000 option for ya

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
If you think the Shure cord is easy to tangle, don't ever bother with Etymotics. My ER6i ties itself into knots whenever I'm not looking. Easily the most annoying headphone cord I've ever had to deal with.

That's odd. My er-6i cord never has a problem with knotting. It might have
to do with the way I keep it. I've been told I'm rather anal about my care
for my iems. I don't let the cord twist, it never gets wrapped around anything
except a smartwrap.

just my 2 cents

-Jeff

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #22 of 25
I've got the whole Ety line and I don't think that thin wires=brittle wires=bad quality. I feel sorry for those whose cables cracked after a while. Have you been keeping them under strong sunlight? I'm convinced that cables only snap and break when they have been treated towards the rough side. I may be wrong though. The Etymotic cables look rather thin, especially the ER6is. They are more prone to tangling, but if you bundle them up with care before shoving them into the case, then they don't tangle. The ER4s have a much stiffer cable and hence don't really tangle at all.

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
I dono why people are recommending the Super.fi, those cords are paper thin and I hear about more replacements than any other.

My E4C seems damn strong, I'm not sure what models you have had issues with. I think the UE-10 cables attach like the HD650 cables so they can also break away... there's a $1000 option for ya

The Super.Fi cables attach like the HD650 also, the reason why I've been recommending it to him.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back