Looking for IEM with STRONG cord
Nov 20, 2005 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

jml90

New Head-Fier
Just liek the title says I've gone through 2 pairs of Shures
mad.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 25
the shure e5 has the strongest cord i ve seen so far.

Nov 20, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 25
My e2c cord is cracking after 12 months of regular use... Consider this, what NOT to consider.

Garrett

Nov 20, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipumuk

As well as being the most irritating,"tanglelable" cord that i've seen so far...
blink.gif
No matter how i keep it or roll it, it always tangles up and becomes a pile of S*** which is very very annoying when i keep them and then take them out again when I'am out.

Nov 20, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 25
I was led to believe that Shure's cords are one of the most rugged and durable. I had a pair of Shure E2c's and I never would have thought that the wires' quality would be a problem.

Nov 20, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 25
There are trade-offs. The E5 cord is very strong, but I can see how it would tangle and this might ultimately undermine it. The Etymotic ER4 cord is thinner, but far less prone to tangling, and, in my experience, quite strong.

I don't have experience with Super Fi or Westone.

I do tend to get the Etymotic cord caught on things, yanking the iems out of my ears and/or unplugging it from the amp, yet thus I've had no indication that it's failing.

Andy

Nov 20, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 25
there I thought my Etymotics and I were missing something and from time to time thought of trying a pair of E5........guess we have been missing something - and it has had nothing to do with sound
evil_smiley.gif
To those who remarked about their cables catching on things etc. - one tactic is to simply take up slack by running cable from mp3 player to around back of neck and to front where cable will go from chest to ears as usual. There is
always a way to run cable to avoid problems
etysmile.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
I was led to believe that Shure's cords are one of the most rugged and durable. I had a pair of Shure E2c's and I never would have thought that the wires' quality would be a problem.

I think the rubber has dried up and become brittle after a year of regular portable use. The cords are splitting apart where they flex around the top of my ears.

Nov 20, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 25
How about considering a pair of Ultimate Ears Super.Fi's? The cords themselves aren't that strong looking (although mine survives the high school life) but if you break, tear, snag, etc. them, you'll only need to replace the cables not the whole IEM. ($20+ shipping I believe)

Nov 20, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipumuk

As soon as I saw this thread, I instantly said, E5c. The cord is very strong and the thickest I've seen, on an IEM.
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer
As well as being the most irritating,"tanglelable" cord that i've seen so far...
blink.gif
No matter how i keep it or roll it, it always tangles up and becomes a pile of S*** which is very very annoying when i keep them and then take them out again when I'am out.

If you think the Shure cord is easy to tangle, don't ever bother with Etymotics. My ER6i ties itself into knots whenever I'm not looking. Easily the most annoying headphone cord I've ever had to deal with.

Nov 20, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 25
treasure that iem cable of yours. It is really exceptionally talented to be able to sneak in its' knot-tying practice sessions when you're not looking. What knots are its' favorites? Running bowline knot, two half-hitches........what else does it do?
evil_smiley.gif
or if you are tired of its' tricks........probably be able to get a couple of thousand for it on eBay.

Nov 20, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 25
I must represent the acid test on IEM cords, as i wear mine 6-7 hours a day, year round, in a construction enviornment. Sun, sweat, bushes, and various tools have all been intimate with my e5 over the last 18 months, and none has bettered their robust quality.
BTW, foamies rule for accidental extractions (you DON'T want to snag a custom IEM! ouch!)

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I think the rubber has dried up and become brittle after a year of regular portable use. The cords are splitting apart where they flex around the top of my ears.

My shure snapped straight off the other night after only 4 months

Users who are viewing this thread

Back