Looking for IEM with focus on comfort and isolation
Jan 4, 2023 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Piratarzt

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone
I am on the lookout for a new pair of IEMs that will be driven by my Qudelix 5k. For context, I have smallish ears, such that when I wear my Audiosense T800, they jut out rather than rest in the concha. The best fit I had was with Shures + foam tips, with the Etymotics + DIY foam tips + over ear cables coming up as a close second. Unfortunately, the Shure SE535 split apart faster that I think it should have and I would prefer something more robust.

Equipment I have:
a. Etymotic ER3SE: sounds fine but not enjoyable, if that makes sense.
b. Beyer DT700 Pro X
c. Audiosense T800: it just doesn't fit very well, and starts to hurt my ear after an hour or so. Sounds fine otherwise.

I'd like some pointers on a pair that are:
a. sub 500USD, obvs the cheaper the better
b. isolate well passively
c. have good construction build
d. suitable for smaller ears
e. wired
f. fun to listen to with good imaging

I tend to listen to Spotify for my music and listen to a lot of indie, ambient/new age, rock, and classical. It is intended for casual listening and commuting. I emphasize isolation as I already have hearing loss and would like to avoid increasing the volume in noisy places. I don't want TWS because my WF-1000X4 died on me within several months.

I am leaning towards the sennheisers (ie300/600), and willing to pay a little more, but I am apprehensive about the mixed reviews notably around value for money. I have also been looking at the Letshuoer S12 pro but I am very apprehensive about the fit. On the same point, as the ie600 costs the same as an SE846 where I am, what might be the better buy?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 4, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 2
I have the Letshuoer S12 and I can attest to the fact that it is a banger if you are looking for resolution and do not mind a mild V-shape signature. Did you ever get the chance to listen to planar equipment? If you do not mind or enjoy the tonality, then I can heartily recommend the S12. I have small ears and can get a pretty good seal with no pain or weariness whatsoever. I listened to the IE300 thanks to a friend and I frankly did not enjoy them at all. I realise I might sound a bit too biased towards planars, but I really do believe they are the BOSS for resolution at this price point and uncontested... unless I am missing some obscure gem that I am not aware of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back