Looking for IEM to be used primarily with iPhone. Budget around $150.
Oct 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:
I work with computers, so generally when I get home, I don't go anywhere near them. :)
Anyway, I'm vacillating quite a bit.  I'm wondering if it is worth jumping up to $180 to grab the GR07

The GR07 are a good IEM and I think its worth the price but if your willing to go up to $180 you might want to consider going to $200 and get the e-Q5 which sounds quite a bit better than the GR07 imo.  I just could never get over the lack of depth the GR07 portrayed, I like a soundstage with a good amount of width and depth, the GR07 had plenty of width just not very much depth at all wheres the e-Q5 is just about as wide with much depth to the soundstage.  They both have about the same amount of detail and bass is all so close but the GR07 has a little more depth than the e-Q5.  Over all I think the e-Q5 is a bit better sounding and easily worth $20 more than the GR07.

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

The GR07 are a good IEM and I think its worth the price but if your willing to go up to $180 you might want to consider going to $200 and get the e-Q5 which sounds quite a bit better than the GR07 imo.  I just could never get over the lack of depth the GR07 portrayed, I like a soundstage with a good amount of width and depth, the GR07 had plenty of width just not very much depth at all wheres the e-Q5 is just about as wide with much depth to the soundstage.  They both have about the same amount of detail and bass is all so close but the GR07 has a little more depth than the e-Q5.  Over all I think the e-Q5 is a bit better sounding and easily worth $20 more than the GR07.

Depends... there is also the GR07 MKII.  I currently own it and it just does everything right.  It doesn't do everything the best, but the sense of "natural" sound is quite impressive.  It won't wow you immediately but it will impress you over time and when you revert to an old IEM you will realize.

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #34 of 51
Depends... there is also the GR07 MKII.  I currently own it and it just does everything right.  It doesn't do everything the best, but the sense of "natural" sound is quite impressive.  It won't wow you immediately but it will impress you over time and when you revert to an old IEM you will realize.

Yep this. It's all about natural timbre and tonality of GR07 MK2, makes my other IEM's sound artificial, lacking in detail or missing that edge. Strangely enough the soundstage depth with this IEM vary's with my DAP's 'slightly' however I feel it has improved with break in time. I can't find anything else that beats it. Makes my Sony EX600 sound like Sansa earbuds in terms of detailing and timbre. Everything with GR07 technical ability is balanced very well bare the slight lack of depth and imaging, though in an overall package I can't beat it. It sounds worth a lot more than the asking price.

It's called value for money.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #35 of 51
^In terms of what was stated above, nothing under $200 including the e-Q5 can beat the GR07 IMO (both mki and mkii variety). The next upgrade in similarly natural sound is the EX1000, but even the Sony is not perfect as it introduces another treble peak.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #36 of 51
Is this a question?

Or your opinion?

Thanks, Jim

^In terms of what was stated above, nothing under $200 including the e-Q5 can beat the GR07 IMO (both mki and mkii variety). The next upgrade in similarly natural sound is the EX1000, but even the Sony is not perfect as it introduces another treble peak.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #38 of 51
Well, considering there's no question mark in his sentence and he wrote IMO. I think it's pretty obvious.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #39 of 51
Gee... Wasn't so obvious to me.

Thanks, Jim

PS I disagree with his opinion by the way. How bout you?

Well, considering there's no question mark in his sentence and he wrote IMO. I think it's pretty obvious.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #40 of 51
Forget the gr07, for $99 you can have the hifiman re-zero or the jvc fxd80s. The fxd80s have a huge following in these forums right now, you easily find the thread on them... The hifimans are also highly regarded and from personal experience can say they keep me away from my full-size headphones. I think these two are on par with the gr07 at about half the price.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #41 of 51
Gee... Wasn't so obvious to me.
Thanks, Jim
PS I disagree with his opinion by the way. How bout you?

GR07 are pretty good, It's hard for me to make judgement whether anything under $200 can stop them with my limited experience. I will say if the preferred signature is suited nothing I've owned personally can top them. Possibly TF10 in certain aspects, very tight race there between them. Again, It's all about the tonality and timbre GR07 posses, they're really one of a kind to me and if that timbre agrees with you I can understand where glac1er is coming from. I agree EX600/ EX1000 share similar tone but EX600 missing that bite and detailing by a large margin imo.

Not sure on EX1000, haven't heard how close it can come, but I know about the treble spike too.

You should give GR07 a try one day Astro Turf. :wink: Expand your IEM collection.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #42 of 51
Thanks for the explanation.

I would most certainly like to try most IEMs one day, but first I must expand my pockets... LOLz

Thanks Again, Jim

GR07 are pretty good(snip)You should give GR07 a try one day Astro Turf. :wink: Expand your IEM collection.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #44 of 51
My apologies Sir... I did not see your IMO.

My eyes are quickly becoming as bad as my ears.

Again, I am sorry.

Jim

I was only talking about overall naturalness and timbre btw, in that way I think GR07 is the best sub-$200. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #45 of 51
The GR07 would be a better IEM imo if the had more depth to the soundstage, personally that is something I just couldn't get over and is why I sold mine.  I feel the e-Q5, RE262 and R50 all have a better over all SQ next to the GR07, I even liked the EPH-100 more but I do understand why they're so well liked.  Everyone has different sounds and signatures they like that's why I think you have to go through a few IEM's before you can really know what you like.  I've been into this for not quite 2 years and I've gone through around 20 IEM's in different price ranges with different sound signatures to find out that I like many different sound signatures 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back