Looking for IEM - Etymotic with more Bass
Oct 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

alphaxono

New Head-Fier
I currently use my beloved Etymotic 4P IEMs with Custom Tips which I was happy with for a long time.
But lately I have been longing for more Bass weight especially when I listen to R&B, Pop or TripHop.

I have listened to the Sennheiser IE8 which I hated and the Triple.Fi 10 which I did like but the fit was just horrible.

So are there any IEMs out there that have bass punch and weight like TF10 (or even more) but the clarity and treble of the Etys?
I was thinking maybe Westone 3 or 4? Is that the right direction or what would you recommend?

Thanks everyone.

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 44
I belive the Fischer Audio DBA-02 will have similar trebble and offer more bass because of it's dual driver design but for the money you are offering

Get Some Customs

Universals can't compare and the seal offers more bass.

Oct 20, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 44
I'm looking for an IEM identical to the OP's tastes as well.

If I'm correct, the DBA-02s are near identical to the Brainwavz B2, which I own.

As far as bass on the B2's goes, they are on the light side and leaving me wanting for more bass weight most tracks. So if I were you, I wouldn't go that route.

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 44
I will recommend the Sony EX1000 because it's neutral, balanced, offers very detailed mids, clear extended highs and deep punchy bass. The other IEMs like RE272+ZO(highely recommended), CK10, DBA-02 and CK100. BTW RE272 has clean extended highs like Etymotic and very detailed midrange with good bass response and ZO will add more bass.

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 44
I currently own the ER4S, and coupled with the Zo, it becomes an absolute bass machine, while retaining the Ety's detail and clarity through and through. I can't say how much better (if at all) the Zo V2 will be over the original, since I own only the original, but I wouldn't trade my ER4S/Zo combination for any other universal. I recommend either pre-ordering the Zo V2, or awaiting for those who already have to receive theirs and post back their impressions in due time. Else, you could try to find the anyone willing to sell the original Zo through the for sale section. In any case, the synergy between the Zo and ER4S is excellent, and it's for this very reason that the ER4S sit among my top 5 most favorite in-ears.

Oct 21, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 44
To be honest I don't want to carry around another Device i.e an Amp. I just want a very nice pair of IEMs that will bring tears to my ears.
From what I understand the CK10 and Ortofon IEMs are from japan and overpriced in the US. I will be travelling from europe to the US over christmas and was looking to buy some
quality IEMs in Dollars instead of Euros. So naturally I started to look at the Westone 3 and the Westone 4. But I am afraid to shell out the money and be stuck with a sound
I don't enjoy. The last time that happened was with the Sennheiser IE8. Great headphones bass wise but the sound was muffled for my taste whereas with the Etymotic I could hear every breath
of the singer and every single string of the guitar the sennheiser sounded like just a big bloated blend of everything. I could hear the sum but the not parts I guess.
So I am looking for sparkle and detail in treble and bass similar to the Triple.Fi 10.
I heard the Westone 3 is supposed to be something like that using the same BA drivers as etymotic but having 3 drivers instead of the single one that etymotic uses.
Plus the bass on the Westone 3 is supposed to be more "in your face" than on the Westone 4.

EDIT
I have been reading up a bit on the Sony EX1000 and based on this review, the Sony EX1000 might be really the IEMs that I am looking for. What do you think?

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 44
The Sony EX1000 are very detailed (in mids n highs) yet fun to listen because expensive soundstage, airy dynamic soundsignature and good bass response.

Oct 22, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #10 of 44

Quote:
I currently own the ER4S, and coupled with the Zo, it becomes an absolute bass machine, while retaining the Ety's detail and clarity through and through. I can't say how much better (if at all) the Zo V2 will be over the original, since I own only the original, but I wouldn't trade my ER4S/Zo combination for any other universal. I recommend either pre-ordering the Zo V2, or awaiting for those who already have to receive theirs and post back their impressions in due time. Else, you could try to find the anyone willing to sell the original Zo through the for sale section. In any case, the synergy between the Zo and ER4S is excellent, and it's for this very reason that the ER4S sit among my top 5 most favorite in-ears.

Timely post.  I pre-ordered the Zo V2 yesterday specifically with the ER4S in mind -- hoping to make them better all-arounders and not so genre specific.  Thanks for conforming that this pairing will be fun to play around with.   

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #11 of 44
I'm looking for the exact same kind of IEM as alphaxono.
I have the Etymotics HF 5 and is looking for something with more bass.
I started falling in love with trance and really need some bass to enjoy the build-ups in the song.
I looked into westone 3 and Sony EX 1000, but they are little bit out of my price range.
Is there anything that offers clarity like the Etys and strong crisp clean bass around 200 ish?

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 44
How's SONY MDREX600 and Ultimate Ears TripleFi10?

Oct 22, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #13 of 44
Westone UM2.  It uses the ER4 driver for the highs and an added bass driver for the lows.

What did you dislike about the IE8?  It's actually a good earphone minus that broad bass hump.

I like the Triple.Fi 10 too.  Outside of fit, what did you like and not like about this earphone?

I'm just trying to get a feel for your preferences.

Oct 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #14 of 44
What I hated about the IE8 was that the sound seemed "veiled" or muffled...i felt like the singer was actually performing in a room next to me...if that makes sense.
I remember listening to Adele on the IE8 and comparing it to the Etymotic 4p and the Triple.Fi 10s and I could not believe my ears. The Etys and the TF10s made me feel like I was next to her and
the IE8 made me feel like i'm at a concert and listening to her through speakers. The TF10s and Etys sounded intimate to my ears.

The fit of the TF10s was horrible though. I had to do the left/right switch mod to get a good fit. Other than that the sound was great and the bass was very punchy, but I kept going back to my Etys
because I could hear every breath and every string.

I keep reading that the UM2 and the Ety 4P are completely two different beasts.
What is moving me towards the Sony EX1000 is the common opinions that the sound is quite bright with some nice bass. But i still don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back