Looking for IEM Advice - Analytical & Detailed & Balanced & New
Dec 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

classycalatrava

New Head-Fier
Hi Headfiers,
I have been a lurker for a while now and decided to join the group. I am looking for my first high end IEM under $200. I listen to a variety of music including hip hop, classical, jazz, soul, R&B. Previously, I have listened to the JVC FXT90 and the Etymotic HF5. I prefer the HF5 because they are so detailed and I love dissecting a song and hearing every single sound as intended by the audio engineer. However, if possible, I would like something with slightly more bass than the HF5. From what I've read, changing the tips can make a difference. Another issue I found is that many of the IEMS in this price range are not very new; they seem to have been released 2-4 years ago. I would like to get the latest and greatest IEM with the most analytical, detailed and balanced sound.

Current considerations: HF5, R50, Vsonic GR07 mk2, Vsonic GR01  & upcoming IEM

I would like to know where I can find information about upcoming IEM's to make sure I buy something with the newest technology and best sound. Also, I would like to get your opinion on which IEM listed above or other similar IEM have the sound I am looking for.

The 2 most important aspects of this search is sound quality and durability. I do love the R50 but the cable seems to unravel and not be very durable. I hope I can get some insight from people who have listened to or owned a variety of IEM to get accurate responses. I am open to considering other IEMs.

Thanks alot!

P.S. Is there a significant audible difference between this price range of ~$200 and higher end IEM such as PFE 232, Westone 4(r), SM3, UM3x?  Do you recommend I invest in one of these high end IEM or stick to a lower end $200 model to start out?

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 5
You can consider getting the Westone UM Pro 10 which replaces the UM1 and its below $200.
For higher end models, you can consider the Shure 425 as well. Definitely theres a difference in the sound quality for the higher end models but in the end of the day you have to ask yourself do you see yourself getting higher end models near future? If yes, just go for higher end models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back