Looking for high-end, Comfortable Headphones
Aug 13, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #16 of 38
Sounds like you're going to need some actual high-end cans.

What position do you listen in? If you're not listening lying down, then the K1000 could be up your alley, especially seeing how you already own a solid speaker amp. I'm not sure if it can drive the K1k, you'll need to double-check that separately, but if money isn't an issue then you can easily get something that will drive it well. My K1k is out of commission currently so I can't give any good amp synergy advice, but it's been discussed here ad-nauseum. UTFSE
biggrin.gif

K1k doesn't sit on your ears like a traditional headphone, so there's no pad contact with the cheeks and it simply cannot get hot by design. All the pressure is on your temples, but it's not a whole lot of pressure to begin with. It does have a rather electrostatic-like sound signature, very fast mids, clear but not harsh highs, and bass that's very punchy, present, full, but doesn't go very deep. The headphone does have a tendency to sound lean and dry, so you will want a lush signal path. Don't overdo it though, since the K1k is certainly transparent enough to tell you exactly what your signal path is doing.

Then, there are actual electrostats. Stax Lambda-series phones (303, 404, etc) have a very low clamping force and are quite comfortable, but are also somewhat tilted up in the upper mids. If you want warm, liquid mids this isn't the thing for you, but if you want speed, detail, very large (artificially so) soundstage with lots of air, and a more analytical but still very airy presentation, then this will do the trick. Audition first, since the newer Lambda-style headphones are still in production, and you can hear what you're getting. Vintage Lambdas I have no experience with, but the original SR-Lambda and SR-Lambda Signature (not the Lambda Nova Signature, very different phones!) are highly recommended but hard to find.

Then, there's the Omega 2. The original O2 Mk1 has a ruler-flat FR, has all the dynamic range you could wish for and then some, and has bass that is deep enough to extend to the very bowels of Hell. Seriously one of the best headphones ever made. I find it to be very comfortable, more so than the Lambdas, but it does clamp more, and it does get hot. That's the nature of the beast, since you need a good, very IEM-like seal with the ear in order for the O2 to perform up to par.

The Mk2 version has boosted midbass and boosted upper mids, while at the same time less deep bass than the Mk1. It's more forward, but also colder. It also has a wider soundstage and sounds a bit more diffuse. The Mk1 makes no compromises to artificial airyness and the soundstage is very concise with razor-sharp imaging. It takes some getting used to but it is a very technically correct presentation. The Mk2 is more traditional high-end-heaphone type of sound with artificial airyness but it works well if you're into that sort of thing. It's really closer to the Lambda sound than the original Mk1. And, the best part is, you can audition it, though if you do, use the solid-state amp, since the 007t2 just doesn't have the juice to give the O2 the dynamic range it needs. This is a very, very dynamic headphone with tons of puch, but off most Stax amps, you just don't get that kind of impression. The Mk1 sounds even more dynamic, if anything, since while it doesn't have the boosted midbass it does have the very focused, concise sound, and that adds to the perception of impact and dynamic range.

[Edit: last final observation... electrostatic headphones don't have to sound like electrostatic speakers. There doesn't have to be this sense of ethereal, immaterial sound originating out of thin air. Now, if that's your thing, then the new Lambda series phones will be the closest to that, though they don't have much warmth. The O2 (Mk1) OTOH doesn't sound anything like that. It just sounds like music, and doesn't have much of an electrostatic, or dynamic for that matter, coloration. It's a very high-end headphone in the right rig and is well past the level where transducer technology has a strong say on sound signature.]

Aug 13, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #17 of 38
Denon AH-D2000 are the comfiest.

My reference is SR-225, HD-650, and AKG-701, and all the other Grado phones.

The Denon is the best in both sound + comfort.

The Grados were all uncomfortable to me. Btw, I think that going for comfort first is a good move and an underrated factor in the enjoyment of a headphone. If a can is squarely uncomfortable, then after a couple months you're not likely to use it much. That's what happened to my SR-225. I left headphones completely for about 2-3 years. I'm back with the Denon AH-D2000.

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #18 of 38
Just my two cents. My ATH-AD700s are the most comfortable I've worn. The high-end ATs are probably even better.

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #20 of 38
catscratch,
I tried the K1000's at the San Jose meet, seemed a little wierd to me. I also tried the low end Stax connected to the Woo Audio ES amp, and I found it very impressive, but don't know how the comfort would be over hours or whether the sound was a good first impression but would wear. Any more comments on that?

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #22 of 38
Personal find Sennheiser and Stax are the most comfortable one. I agree with HighLife, i can wear Senn whole day without feeling anything. Stax is really comfortable as well, but i prefer the velour material on Senn.
D2000/D5000 is good, but after 3 hrs or more, it can get hot and sweaty.
K701 clamps hard on my back jaws, causing sore after an hr.

Hope it helps!

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #23 of 38
To loosen up the HD 650s you just carefully bend the medal above the cups (that you adjust them with) slightly outward on each side individually. I did this when i got them a few years ago and they are fine, very comfortable. My next pair will be the JVC DX 1000s which are supposed to be extremely comfortable as well.

Aug 14, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I can highly recommend Beyer DT-880's for comfort and sound quality.

They are by far the most comfortable headphones I've tried, and with the right equipment, can sound incredibly good as well!

x2. Be sure to get the 600 Ohm version, and upgrade the pads and headband to real leather. You do all this at the MANUFAKTUR link of the beyerdynamic (main, not USA) web site. Be sure you choose Consumer, not Pro -- Pro have higher clamping N value. In the early days you had to choose Pro to get 600 Ohms, but no more.

You can also choose custom colors and engrave your name on them.

The result is audio bling with amazing SQ. I have directly compared to K701's and Senn 600's.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesterdad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
catscratch,
I tried the K1000's at the San Jose meet, seemed a little wierd to me. I also tried the low end Stax connected to the Woo Audio ES amp, and I found it very impressive, but don't know how the comfort would be over hours or whether the sound was a good first impression but would wear. Any more comments on that?

I have had similar experiences with the SR-404. It's very impressive at first, with its upfront sound and massive wide-open soundstage. But, after some time, the faults start to grate on you. The midrange is uneven, with upper mids being spiked up. That gives everything in the mids a wrong tone, thin, electric, brittle, and distant. The bass is a bit boomy, and the lower treble can be a bit sharp. While at the same time, the speed, the detail esp. inner detail, upper treble delicacy, and general electrostatic ability to keep up with just about any kind of dense, complex music all really make you wish the whole package was flawless rather than promising, but ultimately unsatisfying.

That's not the case with the O2 Mk1. It's ruler flat. Midrange tone is exactly right. Highs aren't sharp except on sharp, sibilant recordings. Bass is a little loose in my current system, but the O2 is a power hog and a transformer box like I'm using right now doesn't have the juice. I have a 717 lying here waiting for me to change it to 117 volts, and when I do, it will be interesting to hear what it does.

I only had the Mk1 for a week, but I think it's a keeper. The Mk2 wasn't, though it was still a very good headphone. It had the same problem with the upper mids as the SR-404, but to a lesser degree. Just trying too hard to impress, which I don't get... I mean, it's a $2k headphone that's one of the most detailed headphones ever made. Why the heck does it have to try extra hard to impress?

Yeah, they do get a bit hot in the long run (Omegas and Lambdas both). I never had that issue honestly since I tend to listen for 1-2 hours at a time at most. I could see how it would turn you off through. Just take a break and air them out for 5 min and you'll be fine.

I found both the Mk1 and Mk2 to be very comfortable. The Mk2 would be more comfortable if I didn't have such a huge noggin. As such, its headband is tighter than the Mk1, and it kept pulling the headphones out of ideal position. The Mk1 however fits perfectly well, even if its pads are a bit smaller.

Remember, if you do audition these headphones, that they require a very good, almost IEM-like seal with your ear. The earcups themselves rotate fully, and the earpads rotate on the earcups. I wear mine with the thicker part of the D behind the ear and slightly towards the bottom, basically where earcup pressure would be the lowest. Pad rotation, earcup position, and fit all affect the sound. Don't be afraid to bend and manhandle the headband, it's pure metal and is made to be bent to whatever shape you want.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #26 of 38
What transformer/amp would you use with the O2? How would you compare the Stax signature with the Beyerdynamics mentioned above?

Thanks. By the way, catscratch, do you have a speaker based stereo as well?

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesterdad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What transformer/amp would you use with the O2? How would you compare the Stax signature with the Beyerdynamics mentioned above?

Thanks. By the way, catscratch, do you have a speaker based stereo as well?

I'm not into speakers at the moment since I don't have any room for a dedicated listening room. And seeing how I'll be starting grad school in a year or so, it will have to wait for a while...

With the O2, I currently use a SRD-7 Pro transformer off a Dared VP-20 speaker amp. The 717 I haven't tried yet, give me a day or so.

The KGSS and Blue Hawaii are very strongly recommended for the O2, especially the latter. I wouldn't use a 007t, it just doesn't have enough juice for bass definition, treble extension, or dynamic range. I ran the O2 off the 313 as a test, which has roughly the same output power as the 007t (I think 350v or so when the 007t is 300v) and it clearly wasn't enough to open up the headphones and make them clear and dynamic. The 717 is 450v though, the KGSS and BH even more than that. I have no idea how the transformer box fares, but probably not well. It does though sound miles and miles ahead of the 313.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #29 of 38
My vote (as several others above) goes to a Stax headphone.
The SR-007 and Lambda's (SR-Lambda, SR-404. SR-303, ...) are very comfortable and great sounding.

May 26, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #30 of 38
OK,
A number of months have past, I purchased some Senn HD-600. Find them to be a little dark, and also kind of warm after wearing them a while. I am tempted by the Head-Fi Grado HF-2's (curious), but am wondering about comfort. Anything new come along I should look at. Something that is compatible with the Apogee Duet I just bought?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back