Looking for Help with PCB Board Fabrication
Jan 23, 2007 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

macm75

100+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in building the Kevin Gilmore's Current-Domain amp for electrostatics (KGSS), found Taucer's fantastic work, but not sure how to go about getting the boards fabricated. I assume I simply need the files in his fabfiles directory (kgss-full-b2.GBL, GBS, GKO, GTL, GTO, GTS, and TXT files) but just want to verify. Do I just provide these files to a fabricator and they simply take care of the rest or is there more to it? I'd appreciate a couple recommended fabricators also.
Thank You!

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 7
The files in the .zip file look complete, but you should either use a Gerber viewer on them or run them thru someone's free DFM application. The readme file tells what each file in the archive is, and should be left with the .zip when you send it in.

I just uploaded it to BatchPCB.com for checking. Board price was estimated at $255 per board (cough...). The board passed there check, so it would appear to be fine.

Jan 24, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 7
Some of the fabs have on-line help detailing their requirements. If not, I'd ask them what files they need and how they would like them. They may want a readme file in with the CAD files.

I second running them through a Gerber viewer. Some have free or cheap design rule checks too.

I've use PCBexpress/Sunstone a few times

(same company)

http://www.pcbexpress.com/
http://www.sunstone.com/quoteQT.aspx

Other than that, I've shopped for price. I got a $500 off card in the mail from one vendor. No strings. That's my next order for free!

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #4 of 7
OK, gotcha. I also found the free Gerber viewer ViewMate. There was one error but reguardless, I see the same higher-than-I-wish-to-spend prices from all the fabricators and now I'm going back to my original thought - just breadboard it.

I have close to zero SS building experience but lots of tube building experience and have a basic question...

Any recommendations for Prototyping Board mfg/type/size/model/etc for a KGSS type of project or is an open breadboard just a open breadboard. I see lots of options here in the mouser catalog and not sure what will fit my basic wiring needs.

Thanks Again.

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 7
I would look around at the various board houses before you dismiss having a professional board made. Olimex is one to look at. Also take a look at Imagineering (pcbnet.com). Also remember that this is a panelized board file containing 4 boards (2 amp boards and 2 PSUs).

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 7
Unless you have "moral" issues with it, you're better off getting your PCB's fabbed in China. Some of the "domestic" vendors are probably doing this anyway without telling you. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

Two vendors I've had good luck with:

www.pcbex.com

www.pcbcart.com

PCB's are delivered about 7-9 days after you order. Quality has been as good as anybody I've used in the US.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back