Looking for help for a new pair of cans
Apr 9, 2007 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ricmat

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys!
Here is my issue: I currently own a pair of PX100 and I am pretty satisfied with them. I mainly use them for train travel and work to listen to movies/tv series (on the go) and music (jazz, blues, classical, rock – no particular order) and I am now looking for an upgrade, what would you advise me to go through? I don’t have any specific budget, but I would prefer not to go over 200 bucks. I also do value sound purity and clear instruments.

I was looking into Sennheiser, AKG, Beyer or Grado something, can anyone give me some help please?

Thank you guys!

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 10
Two good ones to look at may be the Senns HD580 for music more to the classical end with a more laid-back warmer presentation. Or a pair of MS-1s for music over towards the rock side with a more forward brighter sound.

The HD580s aren't TOO warm and the MS-1s aren't TOO bright. For what they do...just right!

Apr 9, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 10
Yeah, a combo of Senns and Grados are a nice mix for $200. But doesn't the HD580 require an amp to sound it's best?
If it's for portable usage, Etymotics are great if you want a clean sound. I've only heard the ER-6i, but supposedly ER-4P is just more of the same.

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 10
Hi!

Thank you for your quick answers!

Well, concerning your questions, right now I'm traveling and listening to music with my PX100, and nobody complaint (even in my work) so, I don’t think that would be the main issue (this is only because I read somewhere that open ones do have better sound quality than closed ones, not for any other specific reason…)

And yes, that’s a good point I forgot to say before, I am looking for a pair of cans not to be amplified, as I would rather plug them directly into my iPod or laptop…

MS-1 look great, do you think it would be “painful” to hear classical or jazz with them?

once more, thank you guys!

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, a combo of Senns and Grados are a nice mix for $200. But doesn't the HD580 require an amp to sound it's best?
If it's for portable usage, Etymotics are great if you want a clean sound. I've only heard the ER-6i, but supposedly ER-4P is just more of the same.

What I was thinking was either one or the other and then perhaps an amp to go along with it would still be within the $200 limit. Since there was no mention as to whether there was an amp already available, I just gave it a shot. The HD580 sure is much happier with an amp. The MS-1 isn't quite so picky. But yeah; having both would sure be lots of fun!
icon10.gif

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #8 of 10
Jazz with MS-1s is not so bad. In fact, with all the drums going, bound to get you feet tapping fast. Slower stuff is not so good, and with classical, stuff gets very thin and without body, like violins.

Apr 9, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

Thank you for your quick answers!

Well, concerning your questions, right now I'm traveling and listening to music with my PX100, and nobody complaint (even in my work) so, I don’t think that would be the main issue (this is only because I read somewhere that open ones do have better sound quality than closed ones, not for any other specific reason…)

And yes, that’s a good point I forgot to say before, I am looking for a pair of cans not to be amplified, as I would rather plug them directly into my iPod or laptop…

MS-1 look great, do you think it would be “painful” to hear classical or jazz with them?

once more, thank you guys!

Ah the MS-1s! Jazz is cool with the MS-1s. Classical is a mixed bag. The MS-1s are more forward in their presentation and give the feeling of being right there on stage with the performers. For classical that can be a problem unless you like being right up there with the conductor at the podium! But for string quartets or smaller choral works or even chamber music the MS-1s do a fine job. It's only when you'd rather be back a few rows in the concert hall that you really notice the difference.

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #10 of 10
yeah.. thank you all!

I've made my mind, i'll order today a pair of MS-1
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back