Looking for headphones with significant bass
Aug 29, 2012 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

krzkrzkrz

New Head-Fier
Im in the office busy doing what I do and sometimes I like to put in a bit of deep dark house or classical music to keep away any noise distractions. I've looked around and am considering the Grado SR325is. My budget is ~$400.

Which other headphones should I consider?

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:
Im in the office busy doing what I do and sometimes I like to put in a bit of deep dark house or classical music to keep away any noise distractions. I've looked around and am considering the Grado SR325is. My budget is ~$400.

HiFiMan HE-400 will fit the bill for your sound requirements, but being open back, would not be ideal for office use.
But if you are the boss then..... 
wink.gif

Aug 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 14
ES10s have very good quality bass and quantity to boot, plus they are easy to drive and are not very bulky (if that matters to you). They have decent isolation, definitely better than an open headphone but not better than some of the closed options out there.

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 14
These are what I'm considering. Based on the music that your listening to, this may not be what your looking for, but based on this review, which I trust, these fit the bill for significant bass. I don't due much classical but am very familiar with house. I'll base this recommendation on that alone.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/phiaton-moderna-ms-400-headphones

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Heya,

Denon D5000
Denon D2000
Beyer DT770
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasome PRO 900 & 750
Fischer Audio FA002W
Brainwavz HM5

Beyer DT990
Hifiman HE-400
Ultrasone PRO 2900 & 2500

Very best 

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Heya,

Denon D5000
Denon D2000
Beyer DT770
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasome PRO 900 & 750
Fischer Audio FA002W
Brainwavz HM5

Beyer DT990
Hifiman HE-400

Very best 

+1

all great recommendations. the beyer and denons in particular.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Heya,

Denon D5000
Denon D2000
Beyer DT770
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasome PRO 900 & 750
Fischer Audio FA002W
Brainwavz HM5

Beyer DT990
Hifiman HE-400

Very best 

Which is better? Hifiman HE-400 or any of the Denons or Beyers?

Second, should I raise my budget a bit more for something better?

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Which is better? Hifiman HE-400 or any of the Denons or Beyers?

Second, should I raise my budget a bit more for something better?

The HE400 and Denon D5000 are equivalents in my book. It's all about flavor.

The HE400 has more sound stage, ortho mids. The D5000 has more sub-bass, more mid-bass and is supremely comfortable and has wood cups.

Very best,

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 14
Based on personal experience only (as in yes i am a bass head and yes I own all these headphones)

- Sennheiser HD 212 Pro (but i think these have been discontinued

- Audio Technica ATH-ANC27 ((the ANC27, not the ANC27b) these are also noise cancelling requiring batteries but have very powerful bass - they are also way below your target price range at around $110)

- Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro with a headphone amplifier - i use the 80 ohm version with the Filo E11 - if it's connected to decent PC sound then you might be able to skip the amp, but these sound much better with one

I'd also suggest an Ultrasone Proline 550 but I don't own these so I can't confirm or deny the prescense of magnificent bass.

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 14
Basshead here also. Dubstep, D&B, 2-step, brostep

I liked the bass on my D5000 and D7000. Good punch, but not clean (flabby) on deep "wobbly" bass in the drops.

Sold them and bought Audio Technica ATH-M50S and then ATH-PRO700MK2. Both of these were bass-bombs! Great, deep, bass with a lot of extension (Power) and I thought I had a real winner, and I did for BASS!.

I got tired of them though when listening for extended hours. Tight clamping, not too smooth on the highs, just kind of wore me down.

Bought Audeze LCD-2s with full balanced setup (Violectric V800 DAC and V181 Amp) and I was loving life again. Good deep bass, not as intense as the ATH brothers, but solid punch, and mids and highs I could listen to all day (and I do as I am a programmer).

BUT....The LCD2s are open phones and within a day, I started getting dirty looks from people outside my office as I rocked out in my own little bliss.
So, I put dynamat extreme on the inside of the grills (I have a post on here about how to do that) and I sealed them and made them closed back phones.
Now the LCDs can get extremely loud. Like 140dB loud at 14Watts. But even at levels that others think are going to make them deaf, these babies just sound sweet to me. They do not distort on big drops and wobbly bass. They hold tight and just power through the music with energy that gets both my legs pumping at my desk as I sit for hours listening and working.

Now; I heard that the LCD3s take the extended bass and punch even deeper and tighter, and I have my LCD2s for sale on the forum here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623931/lcd-2-rev2-with-norse-audio-4-conductor-balanced-and-dynamat-closed-back-mod and not too brag, but these modded LCD2s cost me $1,200 between cable and phones and $900 is a great price to listen to what I would call the best bass (until I get the LCD3s).

If the price is too high, the ATH-PRO700MK2 were my second favorites and I also like the bass on my little Sennheiser HD25 MK II (I got the Addidas special with the blue treatment). Really nice bass for on-ear phones.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks for the detailed response. Just wondering, have you tried the HE 400's and how do they compare with the ATH-PRO700MK2.

The Audeze's are way above my budget at the moment.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
Basshead here also. Dubstep, D&B, 2-step, brostep

I liked the bass on my D5000 and D7000. Good punch, but not clean (flabby) on deep "wobbly" bass in the drops.

Sold them and bought Audio Technica ATH-M50S and then ATH-PRO700MK2. Both of these were bass-bombs! Great, deep, bass with a lot of extension (Power) and I thought I had a real winner, and I did for BASS!.

I got tired of them though when listening for extended hours. Tight clamping, not too smooth on the highs, just kind of wore me down.

Bought Audeze LCD-2s with full balanced setup (Violectric V800 DAC and V181 Amp) and I was loving life again. Good deep bass, not as intense as the ATH brothers, but solid punch, and mids and highs I could listen to all day (and I do as I am a programmer).

BUT....The LCD2s are open phones and within a day, I started getting dirty looks from people outside my office as I rocked out in my own little bliss.
So, I put dynamat extreme on the inside of the grills (I have a post on here about how to do that) and I sealed them and made them closed back phones.
Now the LCDs can get extremely loud. Like 140dB loud at 14Watts. But even at levels that others think are going to make them deaf, these babies just sound sweet to me. They do not distort on big drops and wobbly bass. They hold tight and just power through the music with energy that gets both my legs pumping at my desk as I sit for hours listening and working.

Now; I heard that the LCD3s take the extended bass and punch even deeper and tighter, and I have my LCD2s for sale on the forum here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623931/lcd-2-rev2-with-norse-audio-4-conductor-balanced-and-dynamat-closed-back-mod and not too brag, but these modded LCD2s cost me $1,200 between cable and phones and $900 is a great price to listen to what I would call the best bass (until I get the LCD3s).

If the price is too high, the ATH-PRO700MK2 were my second favorites and I also like the bass on my little Sennheiser HD25 MK II (I got the Addidas special with the blue treatment). Really nice bass for on-ear phones.

Thanks for the detailed response. Just wondering, have you tried the HE 400's and how do they compare with the ATH-PRO700MK2.

The Audeze's are way above my budget at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back