Looking for headphones w/ detachable cord on budget
Jan 13, 2013 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ttpm15

New Head-Fier
I have about $100 to spend ( can stretch it to $150 ) 

Looking to invest on a first pair of headphones, earbuds are cool but i can't keep spending money getting new one. 

I need something that have a removable cord ( 3.5mm on both side, no proprietary plug ), most of my earbuds doesn't last very long because the wire broken off at the plug after repeated uses.

I want something relatively close ( i don't want people to hear my music, i also hate hearing other people music. ) I don't listen to music on high volume anyway.

My headphone will be use walking to my bus stop, to school and to work.
I fly about twice a year ( 3 hours each way ) and once in a while i will take a transpacific flight, so my headphones need to be somewhat comfortable for a long period of time.

Most of my music are ( One republic, Country, etc, rarely any hip hop or rap, i hate bassy headphone )

Over the ear is prefers, but on ear is fine as long as it will isolating sound and comfortable for a long period of time

Big plus if the headphone will stay on when i jog with it,if not then it is fine since i can use some earbuds for that

I'm thinking about getting a ATH M-50 after a few hours of google searching and then add a removable feature but i'm afraid i will screw it all up. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 7
thanks for the suggestion but i pulled the trigger on the M-50S for 115 on amazon ( good price i guess ) and $8 for a 3.5mm female plug ( people on the M-50 thread recommend that one ) so $125 and sometime to mod it, still come out cheaper than get it modded before hand. 

this will be the first pair of headphone or earbuds that cost more than $20 that i will ever own.

I'm going to to mod a detachable cable mod, wish me luck. ( i'm quite handy with the the soldering iron, at least on big RC control wire ) 

hopefully the removable cable feature will save me tons of money on the long run, most of my earbuds plugs will break over a 2-3 months period ( the one end that plug into my phone. ) 

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Glad you made a choice. My coworker probably ordered it the same time you did since you both got the same price for them. It's also his first pair of headphones above the 20$ mark and he can't stop talking about them. Update me on your thoughts when they arrive. 
o2smile.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 7
Dude the M-50 is amazing, i heard thing that i have never heard before in a song. the mod wasn't that hard, took me around 1 and a half doing it as slow as possible and most of the time is spending on stripping those little wire( i don't have a wire stripper, so i have to try and strip with an exacto knife. ) 

Here are some pictures of the finishing product : 

rlvmYme.jpg

aTXKiI2.jpg

Now i need to find an affordable cable, do they make one with volume control and/or music control for android phone ? 

Jan 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 7
you can probably just use the Vmoda m80's cable. it'll have a mic in there as well, iirc. Kind of pricey though, but it is a nice quality cable. Looks nice on black phones as well.

http://v-moda.com/3-button-speakeasy-cable-replacement/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back