Looking for Headphones to go with Schiit Magni & Modi
Jan 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

pinkchops

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
I've been crawling head-fi for a while and this is my first post. 
My searching has led me to purchase the schiit stack (modi & magni) which i find to be really good on my m50's, but i have to crank them a little bit to avoid the channel balance issue from the volume control. 

I was looking for some recommendations on headphones that will sound good on my setup and hopefully blow my m50's out of the water in terms of sound quality. I'd like to spend around $250, i listen to all types of electronic music but lately ive been listening to metal, jazz, rock and glitchy idm stuff.

Also I'm really glad Head-fi exsts,
Sincerely, Taylor

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 12
Heya,

Depending on your preferences, you can match virtually any headphone to your setup, it has the output to easily handle almost everything.

In your budget range, some options:

Beyer DT880
Beyer DT990
Beyer DT770
Ultrasone HFI 2400
AudioTechnica A900X
Mr Speaker Mad Dogs
AKG K267
Denon D600

If you can manage to sell some stuff and build up more budget, the HE-400 would an excellent goal.

Very best,

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks
Ive been looking at the dt880 and the AKG q701, the he400 is a good idea i just don't know if i can spring for it yet. I would just get the q701(they look cool) but i don't know if ill like the thin sound/less bass that people talk about.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Thanks
Ive been looking at the dt880 and the AKG q701, the he400 is a good idea i just don't know if i can spring for it yet. I would just get the q701(they look cool) but i don't know if ill like the thin sound/less bass that people talk about.

You want HE-400...

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Thanks

I would also recommend waiting and shooting for the he400. You can get one on sale a lot of times for like $340. I know I've seen them B-stock on headroom for around there.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
I've been wanting planars so let the wallet destruction begin.

You will be definiltely satisfied. Those orthos are going to get what you want based on your genre preference. Orthos are great with electric instruments and electronic music. The bass on HE-400 will do very well with jazz.

For the money, it's most probably the best. If you happen to like the planar sound, you can try LCD-2 or HE-500 then.

Q701 would be more suitable for classical and this sort of... You need good bass along with mids for rock, metal and jazz. Planar's bass! So HE-400 at your price range!

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 12
The Audio Technica ATH-A900X are great sounding headphones.
Best to find used ones under $200.

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 12
I had the ath-A700x for 2 days, they hurt my jaw for some reason, unfortunately I think the A900x will be the same comfort wise. How much better do they sound compared to the A700x which didnt manage to beat a pair of $20 dollar sony's i had except in the sound stage department.

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
I had the ath-A700x for 2 days, they hurt my jaw for some reason, unfortunately I think the A900x will be the same comfort wise. How much better do they sound compared to the A700x which didnt manage to beat a pair of $20 dollar sony's i had except in the sound stage department.

Garbage in, garbage out.

I can only assume you probably were playing compressed/streamed media, in which case, any headphone will sound like what it's given: compressed garbage.

The A700X sounds great. Neutral, on the warm side. Better than the A700 to me. The A900X is a fantastic headphone, very rich, detailed, clear, but with ample warmth that typical AudioTechnicas in the Art/Air series mostly lack. The "X" of the series are better for anyone wanting more warmth in their sound.

I can only imagine, again, that the A700X you listened to either was defective or you were feeding it awful quality media to begin with. But maybe I'm incorrect, and maybe it's just your ears' preference for $20 Sony's. Can't fault you for liking what you like.

Very best,

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 12
Sorry i didn't mean to talk smack about the A700x I just couldn't deal with the grainy sound the mids have sometimes.
MP3's are indeed garbage. I tested them with ALAC and Cd's through my Samsung receiver. Now that i think about it the A700x did sound really good with Norah Jones and The Sony MDR-ZX100 didn't.
But for what they are the MDR-ZX100 does a good job with electronic/dubstep even though they don't have the best clarity or low bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back