Looking for headphones, not bright or fatiguing
Aug 24, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #17 of 27
sooooo,,, between the HD598, DT770,, DT990pro,,, M50 and the Q701...

I'm sorry if i'm being picky I just don't wanna purchase another set which has that exaggerated heights that I seem to be intolerant of .

Someone mentioned the HD650 but that would be well out of my budget.

Which of these would be considered birght and which would be considered dark.

My goal is to have a high quality headphones that is not fatigueing to listen to over long periods of time. 

Bass not bloated. I'm quite happy with the bass response of the V6.

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #19 of 27
If I had to guess, the treble of the DT 770, DT 990 Pro, and ATH-M50 would bother you.  The HE-300's sound signature is considered darker than most others in the sub $200 price range.

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #20 of 27
  sooooo,,, between the HD598, DT770,, DT990pro,,, M50 and the Q701...

I'm sorry if i'm being picky I just don't wanna purchase another set which has that exaggerated heights that I seem to be intolerant of .

Someone mentioned the HD650 but that would be well out of my budget.

Which of these would be considered birght and which would be considered dark.

My goal is to have a high quality headphones that is not fatigueing to listen to over long periods of time. 

Bass not bloated. I'm quite happy with the bass response of the V6.

All brighter than neutral. Lol. Check the HE-300, that is a good choice. Or any of the neutral cans I mentioned.

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #21 of 27
  If I had to guess, the treble of the DT 770, DT 990 Pro, and ATH-M50 would bother you.  The HE-300's sound signature is considered darker than most others in the sub $200 price range.

I just cant remember what the v6 sounds like. I think the HE-300 has flabby low end imo and its over bassy. I would only suggest he-400 or above imo from hifiman. Never liked the he-300 due to the reasons stated. 

I really feel that in your budget the 598 is the best option seeing as you want an open headphone. I would not consider them dark but rather warm and non fatiguing. DT770 might be a bit much on the bass for you and the fact that they are closed might be a turn off. The 701 are just boring to me. They are spot on analytically when powered right, but they are not a joy to listen to imo. m50 the comfort is just not there for me and I think any of the headphones you listened to would be a better option. As for the 990 I have not had enough time to form an opinion of my own of them, but I remember a lot of people saying the are a bit fatiguing after long listening. 

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #22 of 27
  Right on brother, I agree, we went off track for no reason.  We're good.  
beerchug.gif

Ha yea just figured I would say something so we did not trail on for 10 pages.... maybe in another tread ^_^. 

cheers

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #23 of 27
I warm against the HE-400, as it has similar treble to the AE2's, peaky, then rolled off. Have you tried EQ?

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #24 of 27
Will look into the He-300... Read several comments about the clamping force being unbearable..

I should mention that I have a very large head.

Someone mentioned that the HD598 is warm and non-fatigueing..

Anyways thanks for all the info. I will look into the Hifiman headphones and the sennheisers...

My friend owns an M50 so can try them out if need be... From what I've read, i'm not the only one who consider the v6 to be particularly bright and fatigueing. a decent amount of people complained of the same. I wish I came across those complaints before I purchasesd them.. Nevertheless, the V6 are invaluable for playing software pianos. No other headphones sounds as good so it wasn't money wasted. Will burn em in to see if I can tame the treble a bit.

thanks again for all the input.

If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to post them.

Cheers.

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #25 of 27
Can anyone recommend decent software to eq out the upper end of the V6?.. been using Deezer for my music . They stream at 320kbps(premium).. To test the headphones I use flac tho.. But I would prefer an eq that would work with streaming music as well as flac files.

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #26 of 27
  Can anyone recommend decent software to eq out the upper end of the V6?.. been using Deezer for my music . They stream at 320kbps(premium).. To test the headphones I use flac tho.. But I would prefer an eq that would work with streaming music as well as flac files.

Your best bet would be a system wide EQ software. I have not tried any myself as my sound card allows me to adjust the EQ, but I have seen something called Equalizer APO that changes your PC system wide for all noise. 

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #27 of 27

I heard of that actually.. tried to get it to work but failed.. it is a bit complicated.. will try again and see if I get through I lost my patience but it can't be that hard to figure out..

Thanks..

If anyone knows of any other system wide eq software that is hopefully a little easier to figure out please share..

Thanks again for all the info coming in.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back