Looking For Headphones(Newbie!)
Feb 21, 2010 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

itzjon

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone I am new to the whole headphone community but i really love music.

I am looking for suggestions of over the ear headphones(around the ear? im not sure what its called) ranging from 0-$300 to use with my iphone. I would ideally like to spend around $200 but if you guys suggest i will go up to $300. I really do not know about portable headphones amps but if it will help and bring out the true quality of the music please make suggestions of portable headphone amps that work well with the headphones recommended.

I listen to all types of music, but mainly Hiphop/Rap. I also listen to a lot of Soft Rock, R&B and Pop. I am a student and aspiring poker player, So i would like headphones that i can use walking around school, at the poker tables, on plane, bus and car rides. and in my relaxing time. I like bass but not a flood of it, and leakage does not really bother me because they will be used mostly in loud areas.

thanks everyone

Feb 22, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 5
Are you looking for headphones that fully cup the ear?

Shure 840s are under $200 and apparently sound great. Bass is present but not big. If you like bigger (but not completely over the top) bass Audio Technica M50 or Pro700s are good options. Be wary of the M50s very long cable though.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 5
M-Audio Q40 $150usd
Lots of bass for rap, but not overly done, and punchy. Closed so you can be outside in a noisy area and hear it.
Foldable and comes with a carry bag. Easy to drive,low impedance.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 5
If you are going for portable, I would look at in ears. A decent $200 in ear can be driven well from your ipod, is small and extremely portable, and has isolation that no fullsize headphone can come close to competing with.

If you're set on a full size, shure 840.

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 5
thanks guys. I looked at the reviews for the

shure 840s
Audio Technica M50
Pro700s
M-Audio Q40

and haven't see a complaint for any of them, i was wondering if there are any big turn offs to any of these headphones that maybe will pull me a certain way?

rob - yeah thats what i meant thanks!
tintin- Im using some in ears right now, but i have problems with comfortably and problems with them falling off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back