Looking for Headphones for Rock
Apr 2, 2009 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TStewart422

100+ Head-Fier
Hey hey, kids! I'm on the lookout for some better headphones for rock to improve on my Grado SR60s (no i). I'm not going to shy away from the fact that I LOVE bass, but the Grado house sound (for the most part) works really well for me. I thought the highs on the 60s could get a little harsh, but for the most part wasn't an issue. So, what's the point of all this rambling?

I was wondering if you guys could recommend some good headphones for rock. I'm sure there will be shouts for the 225s, so I'll include an extra question for Grado suggesters; how's the bass? I mean, I don't expect anything to come close to the 650s, just for bass to have a good presence.

Thanks for all your help, guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 12
I have only really ever listened to grados...60's and 325's in particular, but most things i have heard is that they are not real good in the bass department if thats what your looking for. Dont get me wrong, I love my grados, both my 60's and my 325's...it all really depends on what sound you like, but i do know grados are known for going quite well with rock

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 12
Grados are usually colored, unless the bored HP series, I would suggest the Ultrasone Edition 9 but I'm not sure what your budget it....a cheaper one could be the PROLine 2500, far better bass than the Grados...The new Denons are recommended sometimes as also good for Rock, but I have not heard them myself...
wink_face.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RX700. Lots of bass but also good treble once you do the felt mod.

i have the rx700 but what do you mean by once you do the felt mod,what does that mean..? tim

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 12
I would go for the 325i's if I were you. I love them for rock. They have a great aggressive sound, and have a amazing punchy bass. They are shrill when you get them at first, but after some burn it, that goes away.

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dailysmoker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have the rx700 but what do you mean by once you do the felt mod,what does that mean..? tim

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/jvc...-about-381303/

Do steps 1 and 2 (remove the pads, scratch off the felt, replace the pads). It increases treble and reduces bass.

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #8 of 12
I love Grado bass. I far prefer it to Ultrasone bass. Claims of "better" or "worse" are, of course, extremely subjective.

You seem to love Grado bass too. Why not save some time and spring for some RS-1? They're really quite nice.

Apr 2, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 12
Wow, thanks for all the responses! I ended up springing for the 225is! I made sure to order from HeadRoom; so an exchange would be quick and easy if I decided to upgrade to the 325is. I read that they were really harsh and that the highs would get so high that your ear drum would explode like a creature out of slasher movie! OK, exaggerating a bit, but that's what I've heard perusing the forum. But, anyway, if the 225s don't work out, I'll use HeadRoom's awesome exchange policy to upgrade. Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 12
Never mind, didn't read the last post. I'll leave it for posterity.

I will throw out a suggestion for the Ultrasone Pro or Proline 750 and the HFI 780. I've had both, actually own the 780 right now. I also owned the Grado SR125 for a while, and have auditioned SR60 through SR325, though briefly. IMO, the Ultrasones are bright and forward like the Grado, WAY more bass, but tight and defined. A little thin in the mids compared to Grado. To me the Ultrasones seem like a closed Grado. Stock the 780's are pretty brittle on the top end, the 750's were not. I've heard good things about the Pro 900, but haven't hear them. I had planned to purchase a pair when the deal on the 780's presented itself.

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 12
Good choice for springing for for 225s. I think they're the sweet spot of the Grados. I have them too and enjoy it more than I did with MS-2is which is more high-end.

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 12
RS-1. Worth it even if you have to save for a while. All the wonderful-ness of the sr60s but with smoother highs, better bass, more depth, clarity and awesomeness. Basically they preserve the overall sound of the 60s while improving upon it in every possible way.

They also sound darker than the 60s, but I think that is simply because the highs are much smoother.

Edit: didn't see his post. Have fun with the 225s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back